Seeking tips/advice on where to find my first Class 2 job?

I passed my Class 2 test 2-weeks ago | Have now gotten back my updated license + taco-card | And so plan to start applying for my first job as a driver within the coming 1-2 weeks. :slight_smile:

But so I just wondered if anyone could provide any practical advice/resources how (where) I would best be able to find & obtain a Class 2 job (*ideally which would be suitable for me as a newbie / plus hopefully close to the scope of work I personally am seeking), please??

The type of work I personally would be seeking is:
• 2-6 drops per day (Not looking for multi-drop jobs / Plus as minimal handball as possible)
• 3-4 days per week (Am totally fine with early starts / Late finishes / Night-shift work though)
• Ideally £14-£16p/h pay-rate

I thus far have searched ‘‘Class 2 driver jobs’’ on Indeed…
However from my own past work-experience, I know that applying directly to companies yields far better results vs applying via Indeed. :neutral_face:
Plus also do want to try ensuring that the job-role which I apply for (and hopefully get) is one which would actually be suitable for me, a brand new driver (thus unsure about the admin/paperwork-procedures involved with deliveries) / Plus that also matches the type of job-role I’m looking for, rather than being a job which I simply wouldn’t actually desire at all.

But so I just wondered if anyone could provide any info about where I would stand the best chance in finding jobs which match the specs I’m seeking, please?

Thanks in-advance

Firstly congratulations on passing your Class 2 test!

Whereabouts are you based? This may help with some pointers as to potential employers in your area.

As you say, as well as applying via Indeed, turning up at the company at a reasonable time with a CV and cards ready to go is a good place to start. You never know they may need a driver that day if you’re lucky.

Hello mate, and thanks.

Found Class 1 training very challenging / (Subsequently failed the test)
But found Class 2 pretty easy / (And so passed after just 1-day’s training)

*So my biggest worry/anxiety now isn’t ‘‘driving the lorry’’ itself;
It’s instead the ''not knowing what mechanical checks I’m meant to do at the depot on my lorry / How to load the lorry / What paperwork I need for the cargo-deliveries / How exactly I find the correct entrance & bay area at the places I will be delivering too…■■ :frowning: :cry:

(Which is why I was planning to avoid agencies)

I’m based near Heathrow (London), but happy to travel 30-40 miles radius for work. :slight_smile:

In regards to my CV:
As I’ve spent the past 15-years working in the security industry (prison service/NHS security mostly) / Alongside doing 2 uni-degrees :: But no driving job experience…
Is there a risk my CV would make me look ‘‘over-qualified’’ (*albeit in a totally different industry to driving) / And thus could deter potential employers?

As I wasn’t sure if I would be better of simply sending a cover letter only (in which I could reference my past career history / but focus more on talking about driving) vs Sending-out my CV (which has 0% driving experience)?

Ah, I did Class 2 before Class 1, so had the gradual learning which suited me at the time. A few months later they changed the rules so I could have gone straight to Class 1 but the training cost was around the same so it didn’t matter too much.

The all-round checks will be the same checks you demonstrated during your learning and test. Loading, paperwork etc. should all be trained by the employer. To be honest, my only experience so far is Class 1 and a little Class 2 supermarket work (via agency), so finding the correct entrance/bay isn’t a problem as they supply risk assessments for every store, and usually, it’s fairly self-explanatory as to where they want the back end of the lorry to be :smiley:

I have no London experience (and don’t really want any :laughing:), but I imagine there is plenty of varied work around that area and members of the forum here will have some tips and advice I’m sure.

In terms of the CV, I have asked myself the same question regarding a degree. I only have 1 :laughing: but I always put it in there as it’s in Geography, so at least I can use it for map reading ha ha.

First off Well done on the pass !!

Getting a job is easy, getting a job that you want is harder, looking at some of what you have said:

• 2-6 drops per day (Not looking for multi-drop jobs / Plus as minimal handball as possible)
For class 2 this is going to make things more difficult, Most class 2 work is more collections, drop offs compared to full loads, not to say they are not around but its more common on class 1, and getting the first 6 months-year, personally I would say not to have this as much of a priority, Handball, varies on jobs, some have lots, some have allsorts, depends whats on the back of your truck really at the end of the day.

• 3-4 days per week (Am totally fine with early starts / Late finishes / Night-shift work though)
Will limit jobs quite a lot, driving lorries is a fulltime job for the vast majority of jobs, 4 on 4 off job patterns to exists but I normally see that on class 1 jobs, others might help with places that do this on class 2

• Ideally £14-£16p/h pay-rate
Definitely not likely to walk into that to start with in most of the country, even on class 1 that’s higher end of money on most jobs, ADR,MOFFETT,HAIB etc will usually get more but, as a new pass very unlikely to get into that type of work

Loading, securing etc
Most of it is common sence, anything not sure on just ask other drivers, forky etc etc, if not sure more straps never hurt anybody and unless its agency work you will get some training when you start so as long as you remember to ask questions you will be fine.

Paperwork
You will get shown what they want, if you are not sure ask somebody, paperwork etc varies by company, customer is it even there, places even arsed to deal with it

Checks etc
Well you have done your cpc mod 4, so thats most of it, plenty youtube videos on it, DVSA publish loads of info on it you can look at on their site, and see whats on the walkaround check paperwork.

How exactly I find the correct entrance & bay area at the places I will be delivering too
The same way you do it for anything else, look, read signs ask at the destination, yap to other drivers in the yard, google maps is bloody handy, will still end up driving around in circles, with dud addresses, nothing signposted or anybody with a braincell to tell you where they need ya, don’t stress its part of the fun lol

overqualified, applications etc
They will not give the slightest [zb] you have a degree, people drive lorries who have nothing other than the licence to people with PHD’s, its you and the licence they are concerned about, transferable skills will always be a bonus that’s about it.
The only things that might count against you is that you go in acting like you are overqualified for the job will get you shown the door, they see a new pass so go in be open that you are new, know sod all about it, but really want to take all the training they can offer and what do they want from you?
Just firing off CVS won’t really help, HGV industry really isn’t like that for a lot of companies still, knocking on door dressed for the job with your cards is a very good way of doing it, hammer the phone and talk to the people you need to good as well.

Good luck in the hunt, being in London will probably help with pay for sure but its not a place many people like driving lorries, so could help out as well

Can you explain your issue with 15 drop multidrop work?

I could tell you a place close to you that would love to have you, but it would be 15 drops with a mix of forklift (not by you! [emoji23]) Pallet truck and handball, although there’s the possibility that it could include the odd run to Birmingham. (So not 15 drops)

Hello @SquireT, and thankyou very much for your comprehensive & detailed reply mate.

I honestly didn’t mean to make myself sound like some kinda ‘‘diva’’ or anything :: As that’s just not my style! haha
So I do genuinely fully understand & accept that for the first 6-12 months of me starting in this industry I will ultimately just have to accept whatever jobs I am fortunate enough to be offered / Regardless of whether they match what my ‘‘desired dream job-specs’’ would be.

Whilst ofcourse I (like I’m sure almost all Class 2 drivers too) would prefer as few drops + minimal handball as possible…
If my first few jobs during the next 6-12 months required multiple drops + pushing heavy cages :: That’s just the reality of starting-out as a newbie in the indstry I guess. :sunglasses:

The only 1 of my ‘‘specs’’ which I would have extremely limited flexibility on though would be only being able to work 3-4 days per week. :cry:
*That’s not because I just fancy extra-long weekends or anything (haha) :: Is instead simply because I am a carer for my elderly mum (blind/suffered from brain-tumour/now has cancer).

But so I even I am sadly limited to only being available 3-days per week (4-days some weeks), regardless of the job, due to me having to be her carer on the other days.

#

I am guessing though that the only way (in true reality) I could obtain that, would be if I stuck to purely agency work?

My current employer (NHS) does 12-hour shifts, and thus our standard-rota is only 3-days per week on average anyways.
(Plus they offer flexible working-patterns for people who have genuine needs, such as myself)

But I’m guessing in the HGV sector, especially as a new-applicant to a company… If they want a 5-day week driver / Well why would they bother even considering Mr 3-day me? :frowning:

stu675:

I could tell you a place close to you that would love to have you, but it would be 15 drops with a mix of forklift (not by you! [emoji23]) Pallet truck and handball, although there’s the possibility that it could include the odd run to Birmingham. (So not 15 drops)

Hello mate, almost made me fall out off my chair reading that a place would already ‘‘love to have me personally’’… :sunglasses: haha

In response to your question though:
The honest truthful answer is that if I was offered the CHOICE of ‘‘minimal manual-labour’’ vs ‘‘moderate/mass manual-labour’’… I would ofcourse choose the former. :slight_smile:
(As ultimately the reason why I wanted to become a driver is because I purely enjoy driving)

I do ofcourse understand & accept though that as a newbie just starting-out in this industry, if I start rejecting work just because it requires more manual-labour than I would ideally desire…
Well I would just end-up being unemployed forever! :sunglasses:

So if you would be kind enough to let me know the name of the firm you mentioned, I will 100% look into applying to them.

Thanks mate.

I think I will include my CV (as atleast that’ll show I’ve held positions of extremely high responsibility/professionalism… ect)

Tbh the type of work you mentioned (RDC trunking for supermarkets) is exactlt the type of job I would love! :sunglasses:

Can I ask you though, if someone is only available to work 3-4 days per week maximum, is there realistically any chance many (if any) haulage companies would be happy to accommodate that?
Or would it almost only be the agency-route which could provide that sorta work-rota?

Anonymous86x:

stu675:

Hello mate, almost made me fall out off my chair reading that a place would already ‘‘love to have me personally’’… :sunglasses: haha

In response to your question though:
The honest truthful answer is that if I was offered the CHOICE of ‘‘minimal manual-labour’’ vs ‘‘moderate/mass manual-labour’’… I would ofcourse choose the former. :slight_smile:
(As ultimately the reason why I wanted to become a driver is because I purely enjoy driving)

I do ofcourse understand & accept though that as a newbie just starting-out in this industry, if I start rejecting work just because it requires more manual-labour than I would ideally desire…
Well I would just end-up being unemployed forever! :sunglasses:

So if you would be kind enough to let me know the name of the firm you mentioned, I will 100% look into applying to them.

I tried my contact at the company, but he no longer works there. So you can just try direct it’s Magna Foodservice, 19-21 Phoenix Distribution Park, Phoenix Way, Hounslow TW5 9NB,020 8050 1231
You could contact them direct, or I went through Ben at Idrive (agency) +44 7549 404860

uk.indeed.com/viewjob?from=apps … 52facce229