Security Officers

I’ll use the correct term because I used to be one, however…

I’m new to HGV, but not to delivery work, and a few days ago I experienced the ultimate in jobsworthness, or so it felt!

Delivering to construction site in Cambridge, the kind with a relatively tucked away entrance, but off a fairly busy road, bus lane, cycle lane etc. If you have a lot to tip, you have somebody watch the traffic while you reverse in, if not, you park outside with the hazards on and handball it in.

Getting to the point, I was parked on the pavement (yes I know lol), same direction as traffic, just jumped in my cab, was messing about with my sat nav, stowing D notes, the usual, when the security bod walks out into the road in front of me and puts his hand up, stopping the traffic from behind me, then starts waving me out! The thing is, he’d disappeared five minutes ago, obviously heard me start the engine and came running out.

It was very confusing for a range rover approaching from behind, after all, why would you expect somebody on foot to be holding you up, for a vehicle that is parked in such a way that a simple ‘right’ indication and move out when safe is all that’s required. This seems way over the top, and I made a point of telling him I wasn’t ready, and I’ll be fine to move out when I am. The response? “Call me when you’re ready, you need me before you pull out.” Sod that, I’m no lawyer but I’m sure that his legal liability ends at the gate and it’s actually part of my job to ensure the traffic situation is safe before rejoining the flow!

Don’t get me wrong, help in the right situations is definitely appreciated, but this is just ridiculous and holds people up unnecessarily, I suspect to make him feel important.

Also, don’t read into this, but his English wasn’t great either, which made getting my point across a little ‘trying’ :unamused:

And no, I don’t have a vendetta against security guys. Without wanting to be accused of racism or the like (which I am not), it seems that those from certain parts of the world have this complex more so than those from other parts. There are some excellent guys out there, it seems a shame to me that they get a bad image because of some.

The only people who can stop traffic are plod and lollipop ladies. Every one else is a jobsworth full of their own self importance

Javiatrix:
I’m new to HGV, but not to delivery work, and a few days ago I experienced the ultimate in jobsworthness…

If you think that’s the “ultimate in jobsworthness” then you’re in for a nasty surprise. The bloke was just trying to help you. Wait until you come across one that’s determined to hinder you and make your job as awkward as possible.

Also, if you ever have to say “I’m not racist but…”, it’s generally accepted that you are racist but just ignorant of the fact. A racist in denial, if you like.

mick, I wouldn’t say all of them are, but in the situation that occurred to be, the chap certainly was.

Contraflow, I think my point may have been lost on you. If I didn’t include the disclaimer, my thoughts could have come across as racist, given that I included a cultural divide. There is nothing racist, however, about factual observation, which is what I provided.

Also, there are different types of ‘jobsworthness’. It’s a thin line, think about it, you may see it that this chap was trying to help me. But remember, I was the one who was there. He was not trying to help me (earlier words spoken by him would be testament to this), he was being a robot, programmed to cover his ■■■ to an excessive extent, but failed to notice that it was now my responsibility for safety on the public road. He was rushing me.

On a public road, the highway code states that you should never wave somebody across. Common sense dictates this applies to any situation. It’s the driver’s responsibility.

Contraflow:

Javiatrix:
I’m new to HGV, but not to delivery work, and a few days ago I experienced the ultimate in jobsworthness…

If you think that’s the “ultimate in jobsworthness” then you’re in for a nasty surprise. The bloke was just trying to help you. Wait until you come across one that’s determined to hinder you and make your job as awkward as possible.

Also, if you ever have to say “I’m not racist but…”, it’s generally accepted that you are racist but just ignorant of the fact. A racist in denial, if you like.

Definitely have to agree with this i never turn down assistance be it british polish or pakistani help is help in this job its a great help when people wether its they’re job or not to help out you will realise this once you start gaining more and more experience on the road

+1

Ooops

Maybe he was over helpful. And didn’t realise how easy it was for you to pull away.

Wait until you go to the new docks at Stanford-le-hope and find they won’t let you in because security haven’t received an email… From the office next door :confused: Ferkin jobsworths down there especially the ones on gate 2

I meet very impatient truck drivers that run their engine while they can see i am busy unloading and buckling up the trailer.And a French driver left his engine running to rush me and left his truck in reverse for ten minutes as i could see the reverse lights on.On all times i was there first.

I delivered a lot of Electrical cabinets to the Beeb while they were modernising and extending broadcasting house. One of the delivery points was called pit lane. ( similar idea to F1 ) .
So, I get pulled into pit lane this day. hi viz, hard hat, etc, etc.
I go to back of truck and just about to start lowering the tail-lift when jobsworth shouts "whoa, have you got a certificate to operate that ■■? "
my reply can not be put on here for fear of being banned, but it started with the letter F.

Contraflow:

That’s not necessarily racist, your response could be viewed as racist and definitely prejudiced.

Contraflow:

I agree with this.

People who are excessively helpful when help isn’t needed can on occasions be a tad irritating, but I’d rather deal with someone who wants to help than someone who sees it as his duty in life to make your job as difficult as possible.

I’m not sure people are really getting this.

It wasn’t a case of over helpfulness. This is something that is always greatly received, if a little cringeworthy at times!

The guy wanted rid of me, pure and simple. It’s very difficult to translate ‘third person’ vibes over the internet, it’s something you’ll have to take from me on trust here, but he wanted rid of me. This was his way of attempting it.

The irony is, the chap in question did indeed throw every obstacle in my path prior to unloading! The only way I got in was because I managed a sneak peek at his ‘expected deliveries’ sheet and saw the somewhat obscure description of the materials I was delivering.

Maybe I’m overreacting judging from the response here. But I’ve been delivering round the country for nigh on 8 years and been delivered every kind of barrier you could conceive of! I’m also aware I’m coming across as a moaner, which I’m not.

Just to clarify one more time, I was parked half on, half off the pavement, on the CORRECT side of the road i.e. right signal and drive straight ahead. I actually told him this beforehand, knowing how helpful they are in stopping traffic for large vehicle deliveries and not wanting to be rushed. There were also traffic lights about 100 yds behind me, which provided convenient, large breaks in traffic.

I’ll leave it here because I don’t want to give the impression I’m losing sleep, in need of anger management, or anything like that! I don’t like being rushed, especially when there is no need for it.

I’m familiar with this… I think.

You’ve Just tipped your load and an over zealous security guard (skin tone, religion, ■■■■■■ persuasion irrelevant) starts standing by your truck waving you to drive off when your not ready.

What he should have done was knock on your cab door first and ask you to give him a shout when your ready as he had no doubt had a memo from the site manager telling him part of his duties was to help drivers ‘pull off’ (so to speak).

I’m always gratefull for a bit of assistance but a premature eviction from a contruction site always left me thinking if I had forgotten something 10 mins up the road.

Fair play to any SG that gives a trucker a hand though.