securing your load

I am driving a truck with hihab at moment , we have now all been told to secure the grab with ratchet straps , also same goes for the loads, basically everything must be strapped down.was told there is a £200 fine if stopped by vosa for each item that was missing a strap
is this true ? Cant find anything relating to this too be true

Below are the guides they use for graduated fixed penalties and deposits and enforcement sanctions.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … posits.pdf

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … policy.pdf

If the DVSA stop you and notice your load is not secured, they don’t have an option for a FPN, none of that 200 quid per strap or 100 or even 120, depending on which CPC course you went, they can either issue you with an advisory notice or a prohibition, they may well wish to prosecute you under the HSE rules, but they will have to take you to court. Issuing a prohibition notice and visiting your operator centre will suffice, they will just shut you down.

Here is the 2008 HSE guidelines for load security on curtain siders:

hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr662.pdf

And the DoT guidelines:

webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. … hicles.pdf

You can also google the DVSA load security matrix for more info.

In short, no fine, just a prohibition.

mickrick:
I am driving a truck with hihab at moment , we have now all been told to secure the grab with ratchet straps , also same goes for the loads, basically everything must be strapped down.was told there is a £200 fine if stopped by vosa for each item that was missing a strap

Yes.

Get them ally side load board that goes over 2 packs then that lessens the amount. Think as long as you put 4 or 5 on least they can see you’ve made an effort. The grab is true though, it’s if you roll him, the grab doesn’t go flapping all over the road.

Silver_Surfer:

mickrick:

Yes.

No

wheelnutt:

Silver_Surfer:

mickrick:

Yes.

No

Er yes?

I have been drivin hiab brick n block lorrys for years and in my book it’s always been the norm to secure the grab predominitly when not in use ie no pack between the feet
As for securing packs this has always been the norm in my book to the ally boards are a must have i generally Carry 24 packs of bricks which I generally secure with 6 straps in total one strap securing 4 packs using the ally corner boards

wheelnutt:
Below are the guides they use for graduated fixed penalties and deposits and enforcement sanctions.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … posits.pdf

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … policy.pdf

If the DVSA stop you and notice your load is not secured, they don’t have an option for a FPN, none of that 200 quid per strap or 100 or even 120, depending on which CPC course you went, they can either issue you with an advisory notice or a prohibition, they may well wish to prosecute you under the HSE rules, but they will have to take you to court. Issuing a prohibition notice and visiting your operator centre will suffice, they will just shut you down.

Here is the 2008 HSE guidelines for load security on curtain siders:

hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr662.pdf

And the DoT guidelines:

webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. … hicles.pdf

You can also google the DVSA load security matrix for more info.

In short, no fine, just a prohibition.

A licence endorsement ban, or loss of O licence for firm? :confused:

If no strap used could come under insecure load which I always thought could be fined for.

If it’s on the bed it should be strapped I say

taffytrucker:

I wondered what the marks on April were :wink: :wink: :wink:

nick2008:

taffytrucker:

I wondered what the marks on April were :wink: :wink: :wink:

Shhhhhhh don’t go telling everyone

I’ve found the BEST solution was to become a Christian and trust in the Lord !!