Securing your load

Ok i know that most of you will more than likely use rachet straps/tie downs ( call them what you may ) but what if you didnt have them for some reason and all you have is a coil of rope to do this with would you know how to tie your load tight.
I work all day with ropes and knots due to been a tree surgeon

above are some pictures of me and what i do ( if you wondering wtf i am doing on a truck site then it is because i am looking into coming back into this line of work and you all seem a great bunch and the info that you give is second to none keep it up)
anyway back to the ropes here are a few knots that i think would be useful
the old classic :
Truckers Hitch or dolly knot The best way to rope is you would start with a coil of rope at one end of the load. Attaching the rope to a hook at the other end of the load bed with either a half hitch/bowline loop. Taking up enough rope to go over the load you coil and throw it over the top of the load ( may be an idea to make a few coils and wrap around them a few times to get some weight .) Walk round the truck and dolly it on the opposite hook to the one you started at. Finish the dolly with a half hitch to keep it tight and run the rope to the next hook. Walk around to the other side and tie another dolly. Again run the rope to the next hook before throwing more rope over the load repeat all along the load.

Half Hitch
Pass end of rope around post or other object.
Wrap short end of rope under and over long part of rope, pushing the end down through the loop.

Bowline
( I trust my life to this knot everday it will take a hell of a lot of weight and stress ( even useful for tow lines ( just put a figure eight knot figure eight knot in the free end to make sure that it is secure) and it is easy to undo

The good old dolly knot every time for me.

Mind you its a good few years since I used one, I think the last time was when I broke the roof rack on the car after getting a bit caried away tieing something down :blush: :blush: :blush:

cheers
STEVE.

I’m interested to hear you use a bowline for your securing knot. I’ve done a bit of climbing we changed from using a bowline to figure of 8 a few years back. The reason I was told is that if you get the bowline wrong it will fail (not good on a 100ft rockface or 30ft tree) The figure of 8 is easier to teach and easy to tell if its correct. I never could work out which way the rabbit went round the tree anyway.
Can you tie the bowline one handed?
I’ve used a dolly when I’ve had to sheet loads. However the rope is only really used to hold the sheet down, rachet straps secured the loads.

muckles:
I’m interested to hear you use a bowline for your securing knot. I’ve done a bit of climbing we changed from using a bowline to figure of 8 a few years back. The reason I was told is that if you get the bowline wrong it will fail (not good on a 100ft rockface or 30ft tree) The figure of 8 is easier to teach and easy to tell if its correct. I never could work out which way the rabbit went round the tree anyway.
Can you tie the bowline one handed?
I’ve used a dolly when I’ve had to sheet loads. However the rope is only really used to hold the sheet down, rachet straps secured the loads.

i hope not fig 8 stop knotThis One lol as the thought of that scares me slightly.As for load securing i have used the dolly for that use but then again i do have “soft loads” ( branches etc) but it can be used on some loads i would say as in boxes/cartons and such like.As for getting bowline wrong yes u can get it wrong but with anything that you use every day it becomes second nature and you always check it before attempting to climb and bowline one handed never tried lol will try it i think and let you know and the rabbit goes around the back of the tree :wink:

Muckles, you forgot the Bowline double, Bowline on a bright, Bowline portuguese with splayed loops, Bowline spanish, Bowline triple, Bowline water & Bowline with stopper.
Dolly knot for loads everytime, unless its steel.

@ muckles sorry if it seemed that i was saying WTF are you talking about btw just want to make that clear :wink: its just that i only use a fig 8 as a stop knot at the end of my line as so does everyone that i know and work with and the amount of time i see that know undo by itself then reading that was a bit :open_mouth: but i have looked up and seen what you mean regarding it but i dont think i will eb converting lol :wink: Just wanted to make sure no offence meant towards you :wink:
and reason for posting this topic was in case that ratchet straps were not availaible at the time :wink: its always handy to have a back up plan i find

Hiya guys…

As a bit of an avid sailor during the summer. ( :smiling_imp: NO FUNNY COMMENTS PLEASE!!! :smiling_imp: ) I have had a few dealings with knots.

A bowline cant be used as a securing knot, as the rope needs to be slack to enable you to do the knot in the first place. And the main advantage about a bowline is that it cant be undone under load, ie if the QE2 was pulling on your little 1/2" bit of rope, you would still be able to undo it.

ohhh, and yes, a bowline can be done one handed… its used as a safety knot if someone is in the water, holding onto the boat (or rockface) with one hand, they can use the other to tie the bowline round themselves, without letting go.

The main reason dolly knots are used is that (as per ATKIG11 post!!)
you can pull them very very tight, using the same priciples as a pulley. Just try not to go to made, eh Atkig11■■? :laughing: :laughing:

metalhead10:
@ muckles sorry if it seemed that i was saying WTF are you talking about btw just want to make that clear :wink: its just that i only use a fig 8 as a stop knot at the end of my line as so does everyone that i know and work with and the amount of time i see that know undo by itself then reading that was a bit :open_mouth: but i have looked up and seen what you mean regarding it but i dont think i will eb converting lol :wink: Just wanted to make sure no offence meant towards you :wink:
and reason for posting this topic was in case that ratchet straps were not availaible at the time :wink: its always handy to have a back up plan i find

Yes I could see why you might be alarmed from the link you posted, but you have seen how it’s used by climbers. It does work it has been the only thing between me and the ground many times when I’ve been trying new routes. The bowline is a good knot and was used by climbers for many years, but the downside is it is not as easy to teach or check as a figure of 8.

plus if you put enough weight onto a bowline it can be almost impossible to undo (not such a problem with natural fibre but how many ropes have you seen in transport made from hemp/cotton??). Once you’ve done rope and sheet work in the depths of winter you learn to use dollies and half hitches. Anything in fact that can be undone with frozen, gloved fingers.

ooops doubled posted it

reason for adding bowline into this equation was just to give an idea of a great knot that is strong ( and as for not been able to undo it i find that weird as i am loading a bowline all day with weights in excess of 1 tonne ( when lowering timber ) and can undo it easily at the end .but i am not arguing :stuck_out_tongue: just posted this so that “newbies” arnt stuck with thinking omg what can i use to tie on witg etc

With the cheap, fibrous polyprop ropes usually found in transport they can be very difficult to undo.