Securing pallet boxes on curtain-side

Hi all!

I got a new job picking up and delivering plastic pallet boxes as seen below, weighing anywhere up to 1.5 tonne each, full of old electrical components. Obviously, there are no lids, and often the electrical components are piled up on top of the box, so not quite ‘inside’ the box.

Currently the firm uses internal straps on the curtain siders, which is a nick if they are over 400kg, so what form of load securing system should I be requesting from my employer?

This is a tail-lift job, so my first and most preferred choice is two heavy horizontal straps down the side to keep them from coming out the curtain, and then one ratchet to strap between the two horizontal straps, kinda like a bar does in a box wagon to stop them sliding back. My second choice, would be a net over the top of the boxes, and then ratchet straps over the net and each boxes.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

How do you get 1500kg pallets on and off a tail lift■■?

Blue Day:

Electric pallet truck :smiley:

close curtains and crack on.drive properly you’ll be fine. strap back ones if there is a gap.

Although I don’t think loaded quite as heavy as that the principle seems the same as the old metal stillages we used to carry engineering components and castings etc in.They were roped preferably with a cross front and rear of each row to provide the fore and aft securing and around 3 more passes over the top in the centre and near each end.So it’s probably just a case of translating something like that using ratchet straps.Also make sure that they aren’t stacked above the height of the stillage sides which defeats the object of them.

26 pallets i take it on a 45ft curtain.anything over 400kg need a strap and ratchet to secure it.if stopped £100 for every on missing. i know it takes tiem to do all of them but thats they way the job is now even though some still run with nothign at all.even saw a polish driver other week in a rigid with plaster board on with no straps on at and most of it was double staked.pointed out he need to strap it and all i got was what do u know.so said ok 20 yrs of doing job is not enough to give some good advice and he just drove off

Dolavs! I’d be putting a rachet strap over the top personally. Depending on your floor those things can be a ■■■■■ for sliding about

switchlogic:
Dolavs! I’d be putting a rachet strap over the top personally. Depending on your floor those things can be a ■■■■■ for sliding about

Same here. Ratchet straps for each pallet. Plastic pallets are slippery. Since it’s scrap goods damage caused by straps won’t be an issue. I doubt if the contents will settle, but have a check on strap tension a half hour into the trip.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

BWMDriver:

Blue Day:

Electric pallet truck :smiley:

getting them off is easy :slight_smile:
youtube.com/watch?v=e3n7ydQt140

Using internal straps on pallets weighting 1500kg is a bit of a joke really.

Defiantly ratchets over the top, although I see the difficulty if the containers are over filled. Seems to me like they are winging it a bit & should be using box vans.

thunder367:
26 pallets i take it on a 45ft curtain.anything over 400kg need a strap and ratchet to secure it.if stopped £100 for every on missing. i know it takes tiem to do all of them but thats they way the job is now even though some still run with nothign at all.even saw a polish driver other week in a rigid with plaster board on with no straps on at and most of it was double staked.pointed out he need to strap it and all i got was what do u know.so said ok 20 yrs of doing job is not enough to give some good advice and he just drove off

Same thing happened to me. Agency driver was going to take a full load of plaster board out on the artic with just a few internals! We have to share the road with these idiots! Crazy. I told him to strap them and in fairness he did but he wasn’t going to. He didn’t think they where that heavy!

Thanks folks!

Just out here trying to make the correct decision before I make a request for X amount of ratchets etc…

I think a cargo net on top and ratchet strap each box.

Cheers folks!!! :slight_smile: Appreciate it.

I carry weee sometimes and I don’t think you’ll even get half a ton in those plastic pallet boxes .it dosent take many telephones and toasters to fill one .

Punchy Dan:
I carry weee sometimes and I don’t think you’ll even get half a ton in those plastic pallet boxes .it dosent take many telephones and toasters to fill one .

You carry wee sometimes :open_mouth: are you taking the ■■■■? :slight_smile: