Securing loads any JAUPT trainers?

Under the HSE guidelines, are the hooks under the side of the trailer securing points for load restraining straps to be attached to or should they be under the crossmembers of the trailer?

disgo:
Under the HSE guidelines, are the hooks under the side of the trailer securing points for load restraining straps to be attached to or should they be under the crossmembers of the trailer?

Under common sense not JAUPT, the "rope hooks"should only be used for “ropes”

Spansets would be better attached to the chassis.

Ah! Ah! Must make clearer.Not spansets. Just normal straps hanging down from inside the taughtliner.

disgo:
Ah! Ah! Must make clearer.Not spansets. Just normal straps hanging down from inside the taughtliner.

Ah! Ah! Clear as mud, sorry, never used them, either had sliding rooves or roofs, tilts, and skyhooks :laughing:

From what i have been told and understand the rope hook is for rope and nothing else this came from vosa once when i had 1 enternell ■■■■■■■■ a hook i had to re strap it to the lip on the trailer but that was a good few years ago.

For my own peace of mind I (where possible) always strap onto a part of the chassis as it looks like the strongest point, and I find that when I strap onto the lip of the trailer that the metal bends easily and kinda defeats the object of strapping it down.

Another query…How strong/reliable are the little restraining points (that sit flush in the edge of the trailer when not in use) they say 2.5t on them, but I often wonder of their strength ■■

I recently attended a course “load Security” at the Health & Safety Laboratory in Buxton. These are the guys that advise government, investiage acidents etc.

The ‘expert’ I was speaking to has been tasked with producing revised guidelines and has been going out on patrols with Police and VOSA and studying what drivers are - or aren’t - doing with regard to load security.

Basically - the hooks provided are ‘rope hooks’ and to be used for ropes only. Ratchet straps, chains etc must be secured to chassis railes/members etc

Going slightly off post - the course itself was very interesting but did highlight that those in the position of making decisions and informing the powers that be don’t always live in the real world :slight_smile:

Let’s say the internal straps of a taughtliner have had the ratchet ends and hooks removed and replaced with ropes.You now have to use the rope hooks to “secure” the load.In your opinion are the straps hanging from an aluminium track in the roof strong enough to secure the load?
I was under the impression that like spansets (or rope and sheet) that the securing method had to go over or round the load and to the side .In other words pulling the load down to the floor of the trailer.