Securing a load - question

Hi, I’m after a bit of advice as a new driver , I’m new to commercial trucking and an agency driver, my question to you is , do you always need to strap down palletised loads on a curtainsider? I’ve done it and also haven’t done it on occasion. My question I guess is , is there a definative guide to securing palletised loads or what’s the general rule of thumb for it?

Thanks

Fireman Sam:
Hi, I’m after a bit of advice as a new driver , I’m new to commercial trucking and an agency driver, my question to you is , do you always need to strap down palletised loads on a curtainsider? I’ve done it and also haven’t done it on occasion. My question I guess is , is there a definative guide to securing palletised loads or what’s the general rule of thumb for it?

Thanks

I’ve heard it said that VOSA like to see every pallet strapped, but personally I’ve always used my own discretion, if I think a load would not be safe unless it’s strapped I strap it, if I think the load is safe without straps I’ll take it unstrapped.

One day, I go into work. 3 runs to a place in Tewkesbury (from Swindon). 12 pallets a run. 8 foot tall pallets.
First load, I open up both curtains and strap the lot down. Yardie’s keep staring at me. Talking amongst themselves, pointing and giggling.
On way to drop, I’m thinking how nicely the wagon s going today.
I get to first drop. ‘12 pallets for you.’
I open curtains ready for forklift.
Bloke comes out, looks at me and says ‘Do I really need the forklift?’
‘What do you mean?’
He goes up to a pallet, and picks it up. Drops it on the floor.
I stare at him in amazement.
He cuts open the black pallet wrap.
It’s a pallet of polystyrene sheets.
Weight without pallet, 8 kilos.

No wonder the yardies were giggling.

So if you are hauling polystyrene sheets, no you don’t have to strap it.

You’ve got to weigh up what’s more important to you: the 10 / 20 minutes of your life to strap the load down or the money Vosa are going to fine you if you get caught. Consider the money it will cost your boss if something falls off and how likely that would make you no1 employee
:slight_smile:

I’ve got a mixed load on today, 16 shrunk wrapped pallets of Aerosol Tops/valves, very light-don’t need/can’t strap them as it will damage the packaging. I’ve also got 4 pallets of concrete drainage channels @ approx half a ton each, they’ve been strapped/spansets .

I think there’s a lot of ‘Stories’ about Vosa wanting every pallet/box/carton strapped to the deck using Spansets & Chains (apparently even ropes are illegal now ■■? B/S)
But when you read their website & news letters, a lot of it is about common sense & getting drivers to be a bit more professional in their day to day duties. Just think about what you are carrying & what would happen if you had to break hard, especially on a bend & don’t forget- its gonna be you that picks it up off the deck of the trailer when you’ve ‘Shot’ it off the pallet !

Thanks for your replies guys

Should the company provide ratchet straps as there was none in my wagon the other day or is it wise I buy some to have in my bag of goodies ?

Fireman Sam:

Should the company provide ratchet straps as there was none in my wagon the other day or is it wise I buy some to have in my bag of goodies ?

Company is responsible for supplying all necessary securing equipment

Driver is responsible for ensuring load is secured with appropriate equipment

If the first is not supplied then the driver cannot do their job so the truck goes nowhere

Fireman Sam:

You’re gonna have a Big Heavy Bag of Goodies if you fill it with a dozen ratchet straps, like Rog says, the company should supply them.
One of the advantages of being full time for a company is that I drive the same wagon all the time & I’ve got 14 Ratchet Straps in the lockers, all rolled up nicely & ready for use (straps in the nearside & ratchets in the drivers side :unamused:)

1 of my colleagues picked a load up from a little place called Youlgreave in Derbyshire a couple of months back and to save any crap if he got pulled (just like a majority of my colleagues) he put internal straps down the length of the trailer as he would with most loads (unless it needed ratchets)
now heres the thing, he actually got pulled on this occasion and was told by the KNOB from vosa that he had to rachet strap his load even though in my opinion the load was not ratchet strapable.
anyway, he rachet strapped the load the best he could and went on his way without a fine as he had strapped his load in the first place which vosa will see that you’ve attempted to make the load safe.
so the moral of the story is to strap up every load even if it’s just internals.
and just incase you want to know what the driver was carrying on this occasion, he had on 22 bags of sand.