Secure Load ?

Whats wrong here?

No straps on brick load

“Gravity Straps” :unamused:

Doesn’t the law state something like " the load restraints on the sides and rear must be capable of holding 50% of the weight of the load and the restraint to the front must be capable of holding 100% of the load’s weight"? Jaw Drop 5

willie_mac:
No straps on brick load

Or maybe a cargo net :wink:

Perhaps he was in a hurry to get some cheese & onion crisps :exclamation:

Seems to be par for the course with a lot of brick+block wagons, a lot of them only strap if they have them double stacked. Same goes for bulk bags, it seems. I wouldn’t dare myself, if something fell off and did some damage to someone you would be in big trouble.

Paul

good job he didnt have to brake hard…or you may have dropped your camera when you swerved to avoid his load as it was falling off :wink: :wink: :wink: :smiley:

should it not have sides like this :question: :question: :question:

Bugger that, I’ve got a dropside and I still strap dense blocks. At least a brick net would be a good idea!

i’ve seen a few of these loads…some have the very rear block of bricks strapped up…but it wouldn’t stand up to a good avoiding action swerve.

Hi

Not securing loads is my pet hate, getting it wrong can be forgiven, we all have an opinion on how it should be done, (See, code of practice Safety of Loads on Vehicles) but not bothering with any restraint is just lazy and incompetent. This is common practice with some block and plant operators and is growing with in the industry. The confidence they have in adopting it as standard practice is testimony to the failings of the industry and those who police it. i have little sympathy for people who operate like that.

extract from code of practice

1.2 Legal requirements and common sense require that all loads carried on vehicles are secured,
whatever the journey. This is to protect the people involved in loading, unloading and driving
the vehicle, together with other road users and pedestrians.

2.5 The basic principle upon which this Code of Practice is based is that the combined strength of
the load restraint system must be sufficient to withstand a force not less than the total weight
of the load forward, so as to prevent the load moving under severe braking, and half of the
weight of the load backwards and sideways

take a look at this

www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr272.pdf

www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssaf … scodeo4566

What pees me off is Bulkers who are loaded right up with crap and rubble and either have a flimsy sheet or net flapping around onto of the trailer doing nothing, or no cover at all, so the wind gets in and throws random chunks of crap out of the back and all over the road/motorway. Must’ve had about 3 broken windscreens when I was driving Sprinters due to this, just hope I never get hit by a flying lump off someones load while i’m riding my bike (did once get a splinter in my eye while following a logtruck though…ouch).

Even more worrying is their does not appear to be a strap holding down the grab. You should never rely on the hydraulics. I remember a low loader driver in cornwall relying on the hydraulics to hold down the backactor on a JCB. They didn’t-the arm swung around and hit a car and killed someone!

Looking at the photo
Do the bricks not have metal bands round them?
Granted it won’t hlep in an emergancy braking / swerving situation but will hold them in place
I would be tempted to strap though :smiley:

The law used to be …no load should be secured by it’s own weight.

Soldier z:
Looking at the photo
Do the bricks not have metal bands round them?

Most bricks/blocks I see have plastic bands around them - our place use metal banding around lintels but it breaks very easily.