Section 88

I’m trying to get my head around this , or should i say - be able to drive whilst your license renewal is with the dvla medical dept , all I get from dvla is my license application has been passed to the medical dept ( who are impossible to get hold of as there too busy ) , so they say refer to can you drive whilst you’re application is being considered ( I believe that to be section 88 )
Reading it if you’ve no medical issues & just waiting for license to be renewed you’d be ok , but is it ok to drive while your lisense renewal is with the dvla medical dept ,it could be 1 of many reasons there looking at in my case , but as I don’t know what there looking at , can’t find out , how do you know if you’re fit to drive or not ?
It’s basically how you interpret what’s in the can you drive or not , but coppers , vosa may not interpret it the same way

It’s my understanding that you can drive only when in possession of said section 88, there’s a few lads where I work who have been driving on section 88’s for ages since DVLA started playing silly buggers. However I’ve never experienced it so my information may not be correct.

As an aside your enforced lay off has improved your grammar immensely. There’s a lot to be said for home schooling. Good work.

the maoster:
It’s my understanding that you can drive only when in possession of said section 88, there’s a few lads where I work who have been driving on section 88’s for ages since DVLA started playing silly buggers. However I’ve never experienced it so my information may not be correct.

As an aside your enforced lay off has improved your grammar immensely. There’s a lot to be said for home schooling. Good work.

Thankyou moaster , I think being in hospital for a couple of weeks with intelligent people , not on here has rubbed off on me grammar wise
Anyway after going round in circles I bit the bullet & went and got the answer from the horses mouth ( cop station ) , they said you still have a driving license , it’s just being renewed, it’s not your fault the dvla medical dept are taking 8 weeks + to renew licenses , so continue to drive until you are informed differently , he also said ask the question on line ( Lincolnshire police website ) , they will answer ( they did straight away ) & that will give you proof you have asked us ( coppers) the question

Result. At least you can get back to work. Good luck sorting your health issues, hopefully you’ll be firing on all cylinders soon.

I was told ok to drive in the uk, but not overseas.

Still driving under section 88 nigh on 7 weeks since application ( license ran out 6 th apr ) , spoke to them yesterday & chap said there still looking at information hospital supplied , seems the girl was right who said 8 weeks plus for renewal of your licence
Asked about continuing to drive , bloke said you’ve not been told you can’t so carry on under sec 88

Finally got license back , just a note ( highlighted) lol on letter saying I must inform them of any change in my illness
Girl was right at 8 weeks + if sent to medical dept