Secondhand 7.5 tonners. Opinions Please

Think I might have persuaded my boss that a 7.5t is a better bet as a race car transporter than a van a trailer.

Sadly I can’t find what I’m looking for, so I might see how much it would be to get it built on a chassis cab.

It wouldn’t do high mileage, but might do a few runs into Europe as well as all through the UK. So want a bit of comfort and enough power so it’s not too hard work. Looking for something reasonably modern maybe no more than 7 years old.
Ideally with a sleeper cab, high roof, air con and cruise control.

So those of you who’ve spent a bit of time driving and operating 7.5 tonners , whats good and bad?

Atego is the best 7.5tonner on the road…FACT :wink:

Don’t know if this idea would work, just throwing it into the ring. Have you thought about second hand horse boxes? Usually well kitted out living quarters & decent paint jobs.
Probably not a major job to to convert the horse carrying area to a garage?
Replacing the tailgate with a full length lift?

Would LHD be an issue? I’d say there’s a wider choice of custom-made ones on the Continent.

We run an Atego 815 as a Race car transporter, 21ft box with 1.5tonne tail lift, bunk area in front of box, 1 car inside,1 car on a trailer. plus modular awning for 4 cars builds on the side

I would ■■■■■ a Daf LF with a Hatcher skycab conversion. Comfy to drive and with plenty of space inside, Quite light too.

We’ve a few 7.5 sleepers at our place, DAF LF’s, MAN TGL’s and previously had Atego’s.

The best in terms of cab space and comfort is the MAN in my opinion.
We’ve a high roof twin sleeper one kitted out with fridge, microwave, aircon etc, and there’s as much room in there as in most 18 tonner cabs. We’ve got both 180 and 210hp engines in ours and for a puddlejumper there’s plenty of power in either.
Let down by having the worst auto box on the market though, slow to react and you headbut the windscreen every time it changes gear :unamused:

DAF and Merc both decent enough motors to drive.
Our DAF’s fall down a bit on comfort due to no air sprung seats but a reasonable size cab, the Atego is basically a baby Axor, with the same ‘firm’ seats etc, so tend to divide opinions on comfort and probably a bit less storage space than in the other two.

I’m a Merc fan so would probably take an Atego, but if cab space is your main priority have a look at the MAN (but only with a manual gearbox :grimacing: ).

There are sometimes the odd ones advertised on Pistonheads.

Thanks for the replies some useful ideas.

This one looks quite tidy, but ramps might not work for us as we have some very low cars to go on it.
The boss suggested a sliding deck, but I think a tail lift would be lighter and cheaper.

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/41110/7_5_ton_race_transporter.html

RushySnr:
We run an Atego 815 as a Race car transporter, 21ft box with 1.5tonne tail lift, bunk area in front of box, 1 car inside,1 car on a trailer. plus modular awning for 4 cars builds on the side

What does you truck weigh unladen?
and what tail lift does it have?

Driveroneuk:
Don’t know if this idea would work, just throwing it into the ring. Have you thought about second hand horse boxes? Usually well kitted out living quarters & decent paint jobs.
Probably not a major job to to convert the horse carrying area to a garage?
Replacing the tailgate with a full length lift?

I don’t think it’s an idea that would work for us, we don’t need the living area, in fact it might add to much to the weight and my experience of buying horseboxes is they are expensive to well kitted out one’s. I think starting with really nice box van or chassis cab would be the answer.

Happydaze:
Would LHD be an issue? I’d say there’s a wider choice of custom-made ones on the Continent.

That idea did cross my mind and also a larger market to sell it to when finished. Just need to see what the boss and the guy who’ll be driving it thinks.

newmercman:
Atego is the best 7.5tonner on the road…FACT :wink:

The sleeper can on the Atego looks better than some artics I’ve driven, did have an 814 many years ago and it was a lovely thing to drive for the time.

AJF3011:
We’ve a few 7.5 sleepers at our place, DAF LF’s, MAN TGL’s and previously had Atego’s.

Thanks for the info, they were the 3 makes I was thinking of, with maybe a new Renault is one was cheap enough. Do you know anything about maintanence problems with them?

muckles:

AJF3011:

Thanks for the info, they were the 3 makes I was thinking of, with maybe a new Renault is one was cheap enough. Do you know anything about maintanence problems with them?

I don’t drive any of them regularly but in the couple of years I’ve been at our firm I’m not aware of any of them being off the road for any significant period of time.
Both the MAN’s and LF’s have had a few electrical gremlins, one of the MAN’s needed a gearbox overhaul (carried out under warranty, the other 4 we have have been ok), the immobiliser had a habit of sticking on one of the LF’s, the Atego’s seemed pretty bulletproof.
Mechanically, no major issues on any of the three that I’m aware of outside routine wear and tear.
Our Daf’s are 2005/6 with between 350-400k on the clocks, the MAN’s 2008/9 with 200-250k and the Merc’s had 400-500k on the clock when they went.

The Renault as far as I can tell, appears to be pretty much an LF with a different badge.

racecarsdirect.com/listing/4 … orter.html

That’s a nice thing, but on a quick read through it doesn’t seem to say if its on air at the back or not? Could be converted if not & would reduce ramp angle. They reckon they have low departure angle cars onboard.

Don’t know if it still applies but the Merc 7.5s were always a nicer drive than the others but Christ they were slow getting away and not keen on hills!

Driveroneuk:
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/41110/7_5_ton_race_transporter.html

That’s a nice thing, but on a quick read through it doesn’t seem to say if its on air at the back or not? Could be converted if not & would reduce ramp angle. They reckon they have low departure angle cars onboard.

It’s got to be worth a look at the very least. :smiley:

44 Tonne Ton:
Don’t know if it still applies but the Merc 7.5s were always a nicer drive than the others but Christ they were slow getting away and not keen on hills!

Still the same, my 18t Axor climbs hills about as well as I do :frowning:

AJF3011:

44 Tonne Ton:

We have an 18t Renault Premium at work, and that needs pushing up hills. If I turn up with a 7.5t that does the same they’ll noble my FH. :laughing:

muckles:

AJF3011:

44 Tonne Ton:

We have an 18t Renault Premium at work, and that needs pushing up hills. If I turn up with a 7.5t that does the same they’ll noble my FH. :laughing:

DAF or MAN it is then :grimacing:
To be fair, the Atego 7.5’s I’ve driven don’t struggle half as much on the hills as my Axor does.

815/816/Ategos ARE crap uphill. 818’s are perfect. Cog down on approach and up you go. Did Mont Blanc effortlessly loadsa times.