Secondary braking and electric parking brakes

Something i read on another forum prompts this.

The new Volvos, and presumably Renaults which are rebodied Volvos more or less, with electric parking brakes; do these vehicles have a variable secondary brake control such as provided by the initial movement of the existing normal handbrake (since proper 3 line systems and dead mans vanished) or is driver controlled/available secondary braking no longer required?

In the unlikely event of footbrake valve failure does one just poke about in the dark till they find that silly little switch randomly stuck in the dash, flick it on hope for the best and pray :open_mouth: , or is there a nice handy dead mans handle or trailer brake handle type lever :sunglasses: as was once the case?

It’s not an on or off switch. You can still partially apply and release the park brake.

Steve

Off topic here, but I was told that Renult actually make the cabs for Volvo.

Excellent, thats good news, whats the fine tuning like could you gently apply the brakes enough to slow you to a gradual halt over normal road undulations (ie 6" pot holed A roads), from what i’ve seen of EPB switches there’s only about 1/2" of movement at best, not like varying the application with a traditional 4/5" parking brake that you can usually see and feel position…
I haven’t driven one so equipped yet but we have them on the fleet so its only a matter of time.

Juddian:
Excellent, thats good news, whats the fine tuning like could you gently apply the brakes enough to slow you to a gradual halt over normal road undulations (ie 6" pot holed A roads), from what i’ve seen of EPB switches there’s only about 1/2" of movement at best, not like varying the application with a traditional 4/5" parking brake that you can usually see and feel position…
I haven’t driven one so equipped yet but we have them on the fleet so its only a matter of time.

I had an ex demo that had been sat a while having some modifications and the discs went a tad rusty - Took it for MOT but the test trailer hasn’t a very deep king pin so most of the weight is on the drive axle and not the midlift and the thing was plated at 69000Kg so I did a couple of laps of the yard with the park brake slightly applied and all was well :smiley:

Thanks Neversweat, shall be paying some interest to this meself when i get to drive one.

Juddian:
Thanks Neversweat, shall be paying some interest to this meself when i get to drive one.

It will release either automatically or manually. Either select a gear and drive off or press and hold the foot brake and push the park brake handle towards the windscreen.

Radar19:
Off topic here, but I was told that Renult actually make the cabs for Volvo.

I think one of the smaller Volvo FE range is very much like its Renault equivalent, but the larger cabs do seem to be very different. It’s the drive line that seems to be shared to a lesser or great extent.

I think they’re great myself, brilliant in fact. Also probably safer in long run as handbrake comes on automatically if you stop the engine.

worst thing with them after driving one for a while, when you get in something with a normal handbrake, you keep trying to set off with the handbrake on :laughing:

We have one of those new T series rigids, always wondered if the park functioned the same as it does on my A-class car. Can you have it applied then press the gas and it will release itself?

Radar19:
We have one of those new T series rigids, always wondered if the park functioned the same as it does on my A-class car. Can you have it applied then press the gas and it will release itself?

that’s how the vovlo’s work, just put it in gear and press the accelerator

Radar19:

Yup that’s how it works

neversweat1:
It’s not an on or off switch. You can still partially apply and release the park brake.

Steve

I pull a walking floor, when I’m tipping I hold it on the handbrake, just enough to gradually creep forward.

I have never driven anything with an electric parking brake … if its an on/off button, how do you put it half way on ?

I’m intrigued now, driven lots of cars with EPB and every one has been pants and i wouldn’t give you a thankyou (but thats mainly cos i buy old and keep em for years so don’t want the bills to put something i see no need for right), either full on or full off with cars.
I looks a tiny switch on the Volvo lorry dash to be gradually applying the brakes but you lads who have them seem to be happy enough that you can use them partly as a normal park brake lever so looking forward to trying one.

Thank everyone for the info.

We had the new Volvo FH’s at Stobart’s Juddian. I personally prefer the normal pull style handbrake, but even the best driver can forget to put their handbrake on, so the Volvo is better in that respect.

As a side issue, the EPB in my Jaguar XKR is very good!!

eagerbeaver:
We had the new Volvo FH’s at Stobart’s Juddian. I personally prefer the normal pull style handbrake, but even the best driver can forget to put their handbrake on, so the Volvo is better in that respect.

As a side issue, the EPB in my Jaguar XKR is very good!!

It’ll probably come as no surprise that i’m in the ‘leave it alone nothing wrong with the normal parking brake’ camp too, but when MAN stuff the thing down beside the drivers seat on the wrong side (lots of lorries used to have them the door side of the seat, had 'em there in Fodens IIRC, excellent place for them) you start to think anything would be better.

XKR ?, you’ve got too much money, or rather only got your pecker to keep??, lucky sod :sunglasses: :grimacing: ,the right (wrong) one hasn’t got her claws into you yet :wink: , that’ll morph into a Diesel People Carrier Mobile Depression Wagon in due course (which she’ll use and you’ll be on a moped)… :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nah…done the Ronnie Pickering Citroen Picasso thing mate. Kids go in Mrs Beaver’s motor.

510 BHP soils MY trousers, let alone the kids.

eagerbeaver:
Nah…done the Ronnie Pickering Citroen Picasso thing mate. Kids go in Mrs Beaver’s motor.

510 BHP soils MY trousers, let alone the kids.

Not to worry, I’m sure you rinse them through crying every time you fill her up!
(Yes, I’m jealous… :unamused:)