Second job advice

Hi, if I was to work 8-6 mon - fri as a fitter with very occasional HGV driving in that week, would I incur any problems driving for an agency 1 or 2 Sundays a month?
I know I will be taxed differently but will I come under WTD laws and do I have to do a tacho disc for days not driving?
Does anyone do this that can offer any advice?
Thanks in advance

Looked into driving many years ago whilst in a full time job and from what I remember you wouldn’t be able to do it due to rest periods and working time directives.

It would be nice to have alittle earner but unfortunately it cant be done

Mark22_2:
Hi, if I was to work 8-6 mon - fri as a fitter with very occasional HGV driving in that week, would I incur any problems driving for an agency 1 or 2 Sundays a month?
I know I will be taxed differently but will I come under WTD laws and do I have to do a tacho disc for days not driving?
Does anyone do this that can offer any advice?
Thanks in advance

You could probably work one weekend day every second week.

Lets say you worked every second Sunday starting at 06:00.

From 18:00 Friday to 06:00 Sunday is 36 hours, so every second week you would have a reduced weekly rest period of 36 hours, leaving just 9 hours compensation to be paid.

The 9 hours compensation would easily be paid back the following week when you had a weekend off.

In a week that you drive to EU regulations you need to keep records for the none driving days, these records only need to consist of start/finish times and should be signed.
Legally the records should be kept on tachograph charts/printouts or if you do any domestic driving in the week a log book can be used.

However some people have said that they’ve kept records of none driving days in a notebook or diary and VOSA have been OK with it, I have no personal knowledge of that though so will reiterate that legally the records should be kept on charts/printouts ec’t.

As far as the WTD is concerned, I’m not sure if what you’re currently doing brings you in-scope of the WTD for mobile workers, but even if it does you’re currently doing 50 hours per week less breaks which I assume would probably bring your working time down to around 45 to 48 hours per week, the maximum working week is 60 hours so legally you would be able to do shifts that do not take your working time over 60 hours.
Breaks and POA do not count as working time.

If your company tracks your working time there is the 48 hour average week to consider, but if your regular jobs driving does not bring you in-scope of EU regulations it’s irrelevant.

Thanks for info. I made a mistake earlier, it’s 8-5 so 45h a week. I’m not sure if its a hour for lunch or paid straight through. I will have to look into the WTD side of things as it workshop and site work.
At least I could get a couple of days a month in, the other option is van work or a weekend on recovery where there are no rules! lol
Gotta get offered the job first so all this may not be a issue!

Mark22_2:
Thanks for info. I made a mistake earlier, it’s 8-5 so 45h a week. I’m not sure if its a hour for lunch or paid straight through. I will have to look into the WTD side of things as it workshop and site work.
At least I could get a couple of days a month in, the other option is van work or a weekend on recovery where there are no rules! lol
Gotta get offered the job first so all this may not be a issue!

Doesn’t matter whether it’s paid or not, if it’s break it’s not working time :wink:

I imagine you probably have 10/15 or so minutes break in the morning and a lunch break, whatever breaks you have none of it counts towards working time :smiley:

Just been reading up on WTD. Looks like I would have to keep records as I would be driving more than 15 days in a 26 week period.
May have to have a rethink! Perfect job opp but less money.