Second 45

I was told by a driver the other night he needed to have a 45 minute break, it was his second break and he said “you can’t split your second break” now I can’t see anything regarding this, so is there any similar rule he could be getting confused by ■■

Darb:
I was told by a driver the other night he needed to have a 45 minute break, it was his second break and he said “you can’t split your second break” now I can’t see anything regarding this, so is there any similar rule he could be getting confused by ■■

Nope - the 15 + 30 is still there for any required 45 break

As Rog said .
Driver either full of BS or do t know what he’s on about…

Or 3 option BOTH

Question, how thick would the book be if you wrote down all the made up rules. :unamused:

Darb:

Yet more BS from uninformed drivers regarding the regulations I’m afraid.

The amount of bollox that gets spread about is embarrassing. People should pick up official literature and do their own research into what the actual regulations are, rather than relying on the word of other drivers, CPC instructors, TMs and office bods who quite often are just passing on the same old myths and nonsense. Rules often get conveniently ‘invented’ by firms/TMs for their own benefit and then get taken as gospel by gullible drivers.

I bet he started the chalk rumour as well.

Ken.

4.5 had a 45 then another 4.5 driving the second 45 then 1hr =10 hr drive time, was the way we usually would do it unless we needed to stop for fuel ect, as the more stops you make the longer it takes to get somewhere when doing time critital stuff they don’t want to see you stopped on the tracker,lol

rob22888:
Yet more BS from uninformed drivers regarding the regulations I’m afraid.

The amount of bollox that gets spread about is embarrassing. People should pick up official literature and do their own research into what the actual regulations are, rather than relying on the word of other drivers, CPC instructors, TMs and office bods who quite often are just passing on the same old myths and nonsense. Rules often get conveniently ‘invented’ by firms/TMs for their own benefit and then get taken as gospel by gullible drivers.

This tells us everything about the DCPC. I don’t think many of us would have a problem with it if it was genuinely used to keep us up to date with changes in the legislation and so forth. But as it stands, those giving the training are, in some cases, less well informed than the drivers being trained. Good quality training would stamp out the “MMTM” ■■■■■■■■, not propagate it.

Not that I have to worry about my hours but if you do a first stint of 4.5hrs and have a 45, then do another 4.5, which obviously totals up at 9hrs driving, does it not say that a second 45 should be taken? So if u were to complete 9 hrs driving and only have a 15 minute break and then continue on your merry way for a bit, have you not therefore completed 9.25hrs of driving so are driving illegally? I’m obviously missing a point here, as I see it the same way as tommy t…the last break needed to be a 45…I’m obviously missing a point here!!

There is no way of driving legally for over 9 hours without breaks totalling at least 1.5 hours

Actrosman:
Not that I have to worry about my hours but if you do a first stint of 4.5hrs and have a 45, then do another 4.5, which obviously totals up at 9hrs driving, does it not say that a second 45 should be taken? So if u were to complete 9 hrs driving and only have a 15 minute break and then continue on your merry way for a bit, have you not therefore completed 9.25hrs of driving so are driving illegally? I’m obviously missing a point here, as I see it the same way as tommy t…the last break needed to be a 45…I’m obviously missing a point here!!

I think you are misunderstanding what’s been said, it’s been suggested to the OP that you can’t split a second break which you certainly can.

Drive for 4½ hours then have a 45 minute break.
Drive for another two hours and have a 15 minute break.
Driver for another 2½ hours and have a 30 minute break.
Drive for another hour if you wish.

You’ve had two 45 minute breaks with the second one being a split break.

tachograph:

Actrosman:

I think you are misunderstanding what’s been said, it’s been suggested to the OP that you can’t split a second break which you certainly can.

Drive for 4½ hours then have a 45 minute break.
Drive for another two hours and have a 15 minute break.
Driver for another 2½ hours and have a 30 minute break.
Drive for another hour if you wish.

You’ve had two 45 minute breaks with the second one being a split break.

^^^^ what he said
I can’t think of any rule he may be getting mixed up with and just wondered if our gurus on here knew of any?? As I thought then just MMTM crap

Unfortunately this was a discussion I had with a DCPC trainer recently.

He has been advising drivers exactly as in the OP. Can’t split a second break. He would not have it he was wrong.

However - at least the driver would be safe and it wouldn’t make him do anything illegal - but that doesn’t make it right and goes to prove the DCPC is flawed.

I tend to do 6 or 9 hour runs depending on the route. Drive 3hr, 45m break. Drive 3hr, 45m break then do final 3 hour leg. Those two breaks were often on a bay having backed on and been chilling whilst I was loaded or unloaded. But still legal.

Same with splitting the breaks, will do that when and where I can as long as they’re in 15m/30m slots.

We used to do 3 -4 hr stints when double manned As for the rules i suppose what they imply is that you cannot drive for more than 4.5 hrs without a 45, as to when you take the 45 is upto you, you can spit it used to be able to split it into 3x15mins, but the current rules are iirc the second portion has to be 30mins at least
After the first 4.5 +45 min break is completed it starts again so rinse and repeat for the second 4.5 hr stint

So …had ‘the driver’ in the OP completed 9hrs driving without having a 15 somewhere along the line and and needed a 45 as he wanted to do a 10, making it obviously impossible to split? Maybe that is why he said you can’t split it or was he simply confused? Maybe we shall never know! :slight_smile:

Actrosman:
So …had ‘the driver’ in the OP completed 9hrs driving without having a 15 somewhere along the line and and needed a 45 as he wanted to do a 10, making it obviously impossible to split? Maybe that is why he said you can’t split it or was he simply confused? Maybe we shall never know! :slight_smile:

Dunno but if the driver had completed 9 hrs with only 30mins break taken he would be getting an infringment for not taking a 45min break during or on completion of the first 4.5hrs driving It 's also possible that the 30mins wouln’t count towards the 45 because he had failed to take the 15mins first,knowing VOSTAPO :astonished: