Seatbelts? Yes or No

but for several years now by a
special clip which fits to the anchorage point.

Thats exactly the widget I’m trying to find spardo. Where did you get it from? I know they used to sell them in the UK but do they still??

David

I wear a seatbelt in both Truck and Car.

It is personal choice, everyone’s personal choice, its up to you. Don’t be under any illusion about the law on seatbelts being there for your benefit, it’s all about saving money, serious and fatal accidents cost the NHS and Emergency Services millions each year so if the wearing of seatbelts saves lives that’s merely a happy coincidence.

Strewth, will we ever be able to have a discussion without someone getting
insulting?
‘Idiot’? ‘Grow up’? What’s wrong with you? If you can’t see the difference
between a seat belt which preserves the life only of the wearer and cutting up
and tailgating which is a danger to others, you shouldn’t be involved in the
debate.

I forgot to say WELL SAID !

Notice there isnt a european truck in any of the pics above…

Might that be because the pictures were taken in America do you think?

The first one has clearly been in a high speed colision with something high up on the cab

Might it have been the wagon in the backgroung, the one with the load of John Deere tractors one of which seems to have fallen off?

all the others would have benefited from a seatbelt.

What, even the 4 wheeler box van? Though perhaps he would have died happy knowing that nanny wouldn’t be cross with him.

Notice there isnt a european truck in any of the pics above…

No, but I have seen plenty with the same sort of level of damage on the motorway !!

G

Tramper:

dennisw1:
I think people saying wearing a seatbelt is dangerous is the most laughable thing out :laughing:

Due to the design of a COE truck, surely a seat belt would be of little use. If you were to be involved in an accident which a seatbelt would stop you going through the windscreen, you would already have been crushed by the dash folding into your legs. In a car or Conventional, it would be different as the engine block and Chassis rails would absorb alot of the impact forces

Depends what you hit really. A low (windscreen height bridge) then it wont do a lot for you. But the chassis rails on a truck are a little thicker than a car. If you hit a car then the imapact will be low down that you’ll ride over it. If you hit something bigger then the chassis rails/bumper will stop the cab from deforming too much.

:question: How about this one then? Would a seat belt have helped?

The jury’s out on that one in my opinion.

:question: Chassis rails being thicker on a truck are surely going to stop the cab deforming too much, right?

Can’t see it myself!
:question: or this…

Bet he was glad he’d buckled up!
:question: Now, with a conventional, the driver is remote from the impact, and the cab stays relatively safe, a seat belt would have been of great use here.

and if you discount the fire, it would have been a good idea tobe wearing a seat belt in this one too.

You wear what you like in your cab, the Nanny state has no right to dictate what I do in mine, its just another way to justify clawing some green backs out of your pocket.

Not wearing one sure as hell wouldn’t have helped and the fact is ( nanny state or not ) it has been proven conclusively that seat belts save lives.

I am also sick to death of the regular re-gurgitation of this hoary old chestnut so moderators could we maybe have a seat belt forum so the people who don’t want to wear a seat belt ( you know the ones, they are usually the ones that start these threads ) can go there and whinge about it rather than this endlessly pointless discussion on the main forum ■■?

Always wear them, it just doesn’t feel right not wearing it and I don’t even notice it once it’s on.

I said we`d flog this subject to death on yet another occation
and I doubt it will be the last time either

If anybody finds them uncomfortable (I know I do) just put a clothes peg by the clip to keep the pressure off.
Simple, safe and legal.
They are not very strong so in a jolt/sharp stop situation the peg would come loose and the belt would do it’s job.
Some guys use bulldog clips I have heard.

Trucks I trained in didn’t have them. First trucks I drove didn’t. Nor did the first one I owned. So I got quite complacent.

And I used to say - always in my car, not in a truck- only if the whethers bad etc etc

Now, its automatic.

I go to places like Millbrook/Thatcham quite a bit. Have also been transporting those safe Swedish cars with Side Impact Protection to various Fire Dept HQ’s, which they use for training (so they can train to cut around the SIP and get casualties out).

So, speak to the guys that cut people out — and you’ll quickly find that wearing it (when fitted) far out weighs the arguments for the die hard “never’s”. Car or Truck — you hit something solid, then you’re gonna be tossed around like a rag doll.

Uncomfortable — or “bulldogs” — that’s Naff. Seatbelts are designed to do a job — let it do it! I don’t know the stats, but Id guess the percentage advantage of “not wearing” and “I ducked” are minuscule.

I don’t care if the subject is “flogged to death”. The sceptic’s could be the ones that don’t walk away.

I dont want to cause troubel I’m not a wagon driver yet but me dads been one for about 20 years now. about 4 years ago he was driving along a road which had a sharp bend in it and then about 200 yards up the road another sharp bend well he came round the first bend which slowed you down to about 10mph and he was slowly building up speed to about 20-30mph when a car coming from the other direction came round the corner like a loony on dads side of the road so dad pulled the lorry to the other side of the road so as not to hit the car and kill the driver (he couldnt have lived with the drivers death on his hands) and he got on to the grass verge he couldnt do nothing to stop the lorry as he was already standing on the brakes. And there was a bit of hedge then a hoofing great big tree well the branches came though the windscreen so he dived out the way and the branches went through the seat and out the other side so had he been wearing said seatbelt he wouldnt be here now.

its a 50/50 thing really there will always be this argument weather it be cars or lorries or vans in my opinion.

I thought I had to share this with you so thanks for reading

The main reason for me starting this thread was to highlight the fact that I find it very uncomfortable wearing a seatbelt on long journeys whilst driving a truck. I always put it on when starting my shift, but admit to removing it sometimes, just for a while, when on nights. I can relate to some of the arguments for and against, but I must admit I do feel safer wearing one. My gripe is in the design. Its interesting to hear that some of us cannot get comfy wearing one, yet the rest of us dont even notice we have one on. Im 6ft 3, weigh in at 15 stone, and find myself constantly adjusting the belt away from my lower neck, right side obviously. I have just started to put a bit of padding round the belt, where it crosses my shoulder next to my neck, so maybe the manufacturers should incorparate some kind of padded sleeve that can be moved up and down the belt to ease the discomfort that some of us feel.

Always wear mine,though unbuckle for tight manuevers.

Sadly a bin man was killed last week here in NYC.

CLICK HERE

I find it interesting the number of people on this board that are prepaired to personally attack someone who has an opinion different from theirs - normally without bothering to properly read the post that the person has made. I’ve been in this job a whole lot of years and there was a time when we as an industry were known for sticking together and helping each other. That time has long gone as we see daily out on the road or in these pages.

As far as I can see nobody in this thread has said that seatbelts are stupid, un-necessary or won’t save life nor have they said that the police or the industry are wrong. But yet that is what people assume that they are saying. One of the many unpleasant effects of the Nanny State is that it empowers the mindless to attack those who, for whatever reason, disagree. One comment in particular amazed me:

Just [zb] obey the law

What an amazing comment from one driver to others. I mean, we do that all the time don’t we children.

I suspect, actually, that this divide of opinion is, like many others, on the age of the poster. Amazing though it may seem there are a lot of us here who had a large part of our careers in which we didn’t even have a seatbelt in the wagon we drove - or in our cars come to that - because nobody told us that

your arms will shatter and tops of your arms will be forced out of your back

Maybe we should sue past governments for subjecting us to such danger?

I am also sick to death of the regular re-gurgitation of this hoary old chestnut so moderators could we maybe have a seat belt forum so the people who don’t want to wear a seat belt ( you know the ones, they are usually the ones that start these threads ) can go there and whinge about it rather than this endlessly pointless discussion on the main forum ■■?

I don’t think that goes far enough. Why not just ban anyone who doesn’t agree with the government? That should make for a lively discussion board. Or better yet - death to non-believers!
Now where have I heard that before :unamused:

David

David Miller:

but for several years now by a
special clip which fits to the anchorage point.

Thats exactly the widget I’m trying to find spardo. Where did you get it from? I know they used to sell them in the UK but do they still??

David

It is so long ago (must be 10 to 15 years as we have transferred them from car to car) that I can’t remember but the wife says it was from MDC (Motorists’ Discount Centre) in Beeston, Nottingham. Probably not much help but if you can find the number or ring Halfords perhaps.

You’re right about your many other comments, when did drivers become so intolerant of each other? Never used to be like that. :cry:

I only wear them if they’re fitted. If they’re not fitted then I don’t bother wearing them.

Spardo:
You’re right about your many other comments, when did drivers become so intolerant of each other? Never used to be like that. :cry:

:imp: Whats it to do with you Grandad! :smiling_imp:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Sorry Spardo :wink: , couldn’t resist that one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is this what someone is looking for?

care4car.com/productdisplay/ … _Klip.html

tallyman:
Always wear a seatbelt, always will. I refuse to drive vehicles not fitted with them (are you listening Lynx??!!). Have no problem with the comfort aspect - maybe I’m the wierd shape they’re designed for. But I figure they’re there for my safety & so I make use of them.

CANNOT BELIVE THAT FOR A SECOND U WONT DRIVE IF IT,S NOT GOT A SEAT BELT :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If seatbelts are fittet then the law states that they have to be worn.
However - there is no legislation dictating that there have to be seatbelts fited in training trucks - but - if you take a truck into the test centre for a driving test without a seat belt fitted in the passenger side then the examiner is at liberty to refuse to take the test out as he has not been provided with a seatbelt.
One of our training schools bought a Daf with no belts fitted.
Trained the candidate for a week and took him for test.
The examiner cancelled the test as he said he was not expected to go out on the road with out the safety of a belt.