Seatbelt

Well, I’ve finally done it. I’m converted :sunglasses: . I now never do anywhere in the truck without my seat belt on. Dunno what started it off but just thought it’d be a good idea to get into the habit. They’ve allus felt funny and well, er, restrictive before.

:slight_smile:

Anyone else recenty ‘converted’ or am I the last one as usual :question: :confused:

I knew i would get through to you in the end :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What about the tacho modes :question: :laughing: :laughing:

kitkat:
I knew i would get through to you in the end :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, tacho mode switch now too. :slight_smile: …Taking advice from a Sock, whatever next :confused: :question:

Rob K:

kitkat:

Yes, tacho mode switch now too. :slight_smile: …Taking advice from a Sock, whatever next :confused: :question:

INDEED. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::wink:

Paying attention :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would just like at this point to explain what is being practised here in GERMANY by the police at present, they have in germany a action against
lorrydrivers–and are trying a different approach instead of fineing the driver
40euros ,he/she is invited to sit in the seatbelt trainer and take a little
test in which the seat they are sitting in reacts as if in a accident situation
with the person sitting in the seat,the majority of drivers after takeing this little test all state that they are now firm belivers in the seatbelt.
AS one knows the germans do belive in their research and the ensuing paper work which does prove that the majority of drivers die in a accident due to not haveing used their seatbelt,another point to perhaps
really bring the point over is that the majority of insurance firms deduct25%+ from any monies for injuries ,when you have not used your seatbelt,

:smiley: Would wear one if i had one.

Got a lorry with one fitted, for a very short while after i’d had a roll-over. Can’t have had it for longer than a little over a week! So nice to be spoilt sometimes. :sunglasses: And that has been it so far.

A workmate, who jack-knifed his lorry o/s in snowy weather once, dived into the passenger seat, at the trailers ‘point of no return’. I couldn’t stop laughing at this. And did think, “can’t do this with a seatbelt on!”. :laughing: He said the police were more interested in his spilt load of biscuits. Cramming their car full with as much as they could fit.

I’d love a seatbelt. But just not enough to fight for one. I can’t be bothered. :smiley: Plus, in the roll-over, not having one on, prevented me from worse injuries. So although wearing one is safer, this has left me feeling quite complacent!

He said the police were more interested in his spilt load of biscuits. Cramming their car full with as much as they could fit.

I think that is what they call evidence gathering, and the reason that there are dozens of police officers at an accident involving spilt beer or food. If its a case of a load of steel or timber, there will be one lone copper sat in a panda car :stuck_out_tongue:

Are their any statistics about the number of HGV drivers injured or killed
through not wearing seatbelts?

Is it into double figures

he/she is invited to sit in the seatbelt trainer

We had this set up over here with strathclyde police.When the driver’s where asked what speed they thought they where doing :open_mouth: They where all well out,ranging fae 20mph-30mph,when all they where doing was 7 ( seven) mph :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:.I think it changed some of their minds toward’s wearing belt’s,especially their kid’s.I alway’s wear mine in car or truck.

brit pete:
he/she is invited to sit in the seatbelt trainer and take a little
with the person sitting in the seat,the majority of drivers after takeing this little test all state that they are now firm belivers in the seatbelt.
quote]

Do they think we’re stupid? Everyone knows the value and effectiveness of seatbelts. The issue is personal choice. I deeply resent the fact that I am not allowed to risk my own life if I choose. I hate them with a passion and stay legal by wearing it loose with a clip. Completely non-effective. But that is my choice.
Next thing you know they’ll be pulling all the smokers and drinkers in for compulsory indoctrination.
Sorry for the rant, it’s one of my things, and the answer Rob is I don’t know if you’re the last to be converted - but I do know you were not the last of the unconverted.

Salut, David.

jacqueline:
:smiley: Would wear one if i had one.

yep and me

Spardo:

brit pete:
he/she is invited to sit in the seatbelt trainer and take a little
quote]

Do they think we’re stupid? Everyone knows the value and effectiveness of seatbelts. The issue is personal choice. I deeply resent the fact that I am not allowed to risk my own life if I choose. I hate them with a passion and stay legal by wearing it loose with a clip. Completely non-effective. But that is my choice.
Next thing you know they’ll be pulling all the smokers and drinkers in for compulsory indoctrination.
Sorry for the rant, it’s one of my things, and the answer Rob is I don’t know if you’re the last to be converted - but I do know you were not the last of the unconverted.

Salut, David.

i totally agree mate. it is my choice. i wear one in my car but not a truck unless i spot a copper close enough to pull me for not wearing one :laughing:

I never used to, but since my daughter was born 2 years ago I have always worn it, Although I still take it off when driving round towns in the wagon as it makes it easier to do blind spot checks.

Do hospitals have the ‘choice’ of not treating people needlessly injured by not wearing seatbelts?

What is the chance / risk / ratio / percentage of being involved in an road accident?

Then how does that differ when driving an HGV?

If HGV drivers are better trained (more importantly, experienced), then is the risk less than for “weekend” car driver, or does it increase because of the miles we do?

How many serious accidents are there a day involving HGV’s. How many involve cars!

I didn’t have belts in my old truck. I do in the new one. I’ve only belted up when its been really foggy, [zb] it down, icy or snowy. More because of the trouble others may get into than errors I might make.

I think everyone should wear their belts, but I don’t follow my own advice on this one!

Small one. L. :wink:

No because they arnt fitted but then again if they were fitted i probably still wouldnt wear one :unamused: :unamused:

Im afraid I havent been converted yet, I have seen some nasty accidents involving trucks, but normally a seatbelt wouldnt have made any difference :open_mouth:

When a truck hits the back of a stationary 44 tonne container truck, there isnt much left of the truck cab.

I still try to remember to grab my belt as i am driving up to a peage in France, then throw it aside if I see a Gendarme.

You cannot pay a peage with a seatbelt on

I never used to wear them. I spoke to a driver who’d been blown over. He said the Police when they came out had been expecting the worst, as they’d attended a blow over that morning where the driver had been killed. He’d survived. The difference? He’d had his belt on. Allways wear mine now.

there are certain circumstances where wearing a seatbelt would have or has caused the fatality. there was one near southampton a few years ago. a young lad coming home from his barracks fell asleep at the wheel and went into a field. the seatbelt literally cut his head off. my other half was a passenger in an accident and the police officer told her that if she had been wearing a seatbelt, she would not have been thrown clear and she would have been killed.
in a head on, a seatbelt would normally save a life but some other impacts would create a bigger threat by being held in place.

I notice Jammymutt hasn’t given his input on this thread yet so I’ll post on his behalf :

jammymutt:
I got told that if the truck isn’t fitted then you don’t have to wear one.

:sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Still cracks me up to this day :smiley: .