Seat is killing me

Got a new to me truck yesterday, that is now my truck. Took it out for a 300 mile round run yesterday and I’m in agony now as the seat feels like it’s bruised my arse. Can you get cushions that you put on the seat that are comfy? Ta.

I picked up some small pillows from go outdoors. £3 each. And an inflatable pillow which cost £4, which I use to inflate or deflate depending on how my backs feeling. I shove the two smaller pillows into the lumbar area and the inflatable one on top to have a more solid feel against my back.

In the past I have tried the more expensive lumbar supports on offer on amazon but found they were way to soft and threw them away after a week.

With the setup I use now I can adjust the pillows to whatever feels comfortable. Hope it helps. Let me know how you get on.

Im thinking of going down the pillow route myself.
At the moment I usually start to suffer from truckers bottom at around the 3hour mark. To combat this I try some buttock clenching and pelvic floor exercises and also relax the seat belt a bit and stand up, even do a little wiggle (looks a bit dodgy so check for plod and dashcam heroes when attempting this).

I have also tried softening the seat suspension so its nice and bouncy, not sure if this helps but its good fun.

Check the seat squab as well as this is notorious in Mercs for giving that dead leg / agency limp affect after a while behind the wheel.

Maybe its old age but never suffered from this before compulsory seatbelts, perhaps locked into one position just aggravates a set of muscle groups that like to move about and stuff.

I don’t like messing with the seat adjustment once I’ve got my driving position. The controls have got a mind of their own that I can’t work out. I near enough end up ejecting myself through the roof if I start messing about.

Scania, Iveco?

Might be worth finding a proper full fleece sheepskin cover, doesn’t need to be a custom fit jobbie cos they’re £300 for a good one, the difference sitting and having your back against one is amazing and they last for donkeys years, i have a custom cut and fitted in one of my cars, cost £250 but some 10 years (nope 11 years now) later it’s as good and comfortable as the day it was made.

It’ll probably cost you £100 minimum but if it lasts you 10 years that’s nothing when you can’t sleep at night and are in constant pain.

For an idea what i’m talking about check out The Easirider Co, Northampton.

easirider.com/longwool_sheepskin.htm

no association other than a satisfied customer.

You could see if you could get a job driving an Isuzu Grafter or a Fiat Ducato…which will make you look back with fond memories to the comfort of your current truck’s seat!

Or look at these…not just motorcycle seats airhawk.co.uk/

Don’t have my problems with scania leather seats, heated, lumber cooks and cleans :grimacing: stop whinging and drive DRIVE :sunglasses:

You might have upset you coccyx (tail bone) which will take a while to recover, plenty of info on internet. You can buy special cushions to help.

i found a real cure for a problem seat that had lost its oomph . i got a few 3ft lengths of that pipe insulation , the grey tubes of foam rubber that is quite rigid. then cut each length and slid them 1 at a time into the seat base . at first i thought hey its made the seat too firm but after a week i knew id done it right and my back was 100%

Is it by any chance you are driving a Renault or Iveco?
I found the Renaults uncomfortable ,its a while since I have driven a Iveco but found the whole truck was rubbish to sit in.
If it is either of the above swap your truck for something decent asap like I did.

Good post Tris. I do a lot of cab swapping and find a lot of 'em - irrespective of make - very uncomfortable after the three to four hour mark. Think I might try an inflatable cushion of some sort. Easy to swap between cabs and to flat pack into my work bag. Should I find a magic solution, I’ll post on here for the benefit of any other arseache sufferers! :slight_smile: