Seat Bounce!

Hi folks,

Took an assessment drive yesterday afternoon and although I was offered a job I really struggled with certain aspects of the drive.

The truck was a MAN TGX XXL I think and the seat just wouldn’t stop bouncing! I tried for a good 10 minutes and only managed to get it to go ever so slightly solid using the controls on the side of the seat. I’m a short arse with small feet, so every tiny bump in the road sent me towards the roof, coming back down harder on the throttle or brake. I’ve driven MAN SV’s in the army and never had this problem, so just wondering if anyone knows, if at all possible, how to stop this happening?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Front small adjuster on the right side of the seat just in front of the main height adjuster allows you to set the bounce rate. I tend to use mine 3/4 up.

A bottle jack should do the trick!!

There must be a lever on a TGX for adjusting the seat bounce stiffness. Unless the piston is U/S then it needs reporting as a fault.

From recollection, I think the second lever from the front is the ride firmness. All the way up should be stiffer and down softer (more bounce).

I know the feeling, I hate mounting a new ride and finding her to bouncy. I like a fairly firm ride with a bit of give for the really turbulent moments.

Adjusting the little knob at the front which can be a bit hard to grip in the dark will ensure just the right amount of give is available.

My Renault has a switch at the front of the seat to dump the air which I kept catching for the first few weeks, one moment I was looking out over the motorway the next I couldn’t see over the steering wheel.

MAN seats should be very comfortable; Even our basic TGM is nigh on perfect, unlike Daf seats which I seem to adjust several times a day.
I loved the old Isri seats that Fodens had. I think they’re only fitted to Hinos and Isuzus now, but they were lovely and comfortable. Our Isuzu has one with the weight adjuster. A shame it appears to be mounted on a paving slab.
Anyone remember the old Bostron Viking seats? They were great aswell, but the springs creaked a lot.

Yea I think the adjuster is faulty as that was the first thing I tried, and nothing. I like a relatively firm ride myself, so let’s just hope when I start I get a different wagon [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I am 5’1

The first tractor unit I ever drove (what seems like 100s of years ago now) was an old Sed Atkinson. I never managed to get the ‘bounce’ sorted so we used to pogo down the road until she warmed up

If it had been raining she used the dump all the water that had collected in the headlining on your head as you drove off

Glad those days are over :smiley: :smiley:

Reminds me of an incident that happened a few years ago and when i think of it, it still makes me chuckle.
Myself and another lad from the same firm had picked up trailers in Gent and were ready for the off.
I sat there waiting for him to move(he was one of those that always wanted to be in front) and waited . . and waited.
After a couple of minutes i thought “whats he frecin about at”,so i got out of the cab a walked to his to see what was going on.
Turned out,he had reached down the side of the driver seat to adjust the air suspension and had accidentally touched the button which raised the seat to the highest level,pinning his thighs under the steering wheel and in a panic, he couldnt find said button to lower it.
Sorry for the ramblings . . i thought it was funny :slight_smile:

Suedehead:
Reminds me of an incident that happened a few years ago and when i think of it, it still makes me chuckle.
Myself and another lad from the same firm had picked up trailers in Gent and were ready for the off.
I sat there waiting for him to move(he was one of those that always wanted to be in front) and waited . . and waited.
After a couple of minutes i thought “whats he frecin about at”,so i got out of the cab a walked to his to see what was going on.
Turned out,he had reached down the side of the driver seat to adjust the air suspension and had accidentally touched the button which raised the seat to the highest level,pinning his thighs under the steering wheel and in a panic, he couldnt find said button to lower it.
Sorry for the ramblings . . i thought it was funny :slight_smile:

I agree, that is rather amusing [emoji23]. Although I’m trying not to laugh too hard, karma is never far behind me lately!

I reckon the seat’s bust as I drive a TGM which I can adjust quite easy with very little bounce
Mind you i’m nearly 18st :blush:

Dipper_Dave:
I know the feeling, I hate mounting a new ride and finding her to bouncy. I like a fairly firm ride with a bit of give for the really turbulent moments.

Just checking here but are we still talking about lorries? :laughing: :laughing:

Win-Stone:

Dipper_Dave:

Just checking here but are we still talking about lorries? :laughing: :laughing:

With Dipper who knows :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It depends on what she looks like [emoji23]

The one I drove yesterday bounced like a good un. When I messed with it, it sank like the titanic. So left the bounce, very comfy must admit.