seat belts

hi all
just got my fiirst perm class 2 job woo hoo (passed test 8/10/07)
been allocated my truck (R plate)
no seat belt. is this legal ■■?
dont want to get a pull for not wearing one and dont want to look a prat asking boss
but i thought all cars vans trucks had to have belts fitted and as far as i can see there are no mounting points

thanks for all relevant comments

The law only applies to vehicles made after a certain year, cant remember what year.
Some one will know no doubt…

I drive a 1999 model, that has no seat belts.

Required from Oct. 2001 so as an R plate it’s legal.

Sorry guys but I just can’t pass up this golden opportunity :

jammymutt, a lonnnnnnng time ago:
I got told that if the truck isn’t fitted then you don’t have to wear one.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

thanks all
thought that would be the case

Just out curiousity who does wear one?
never really wear mine unless cops are about or the winds blowing a gail !

Fallmonk:

ME - all the time whatever vehicle :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

“Fallmonk”]Just out curiousity who does wear one?

I wear mine all the time,bin thru one screen years ago ain’t doing it again :smiley:

Fallmonk:

Used to be same as you many years ago, but then something happened - can’t remember what - and I started using it. Now I feel naked in a truck without it :open_mouth: .

ROG:

Fallmonk:

I wear one all the time. You dont know what the vehicle coming the other way might do? as my mate found out when a foreign driver fell asleep and hit him head on. Without the seat belt he would have been dead :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I always wear mine too. :wink:

Might be of interest - I once worked for a firm that had some P-reg Scania 4 series on which the original factory-fitted seats were worn out, but they were fitted with belts.

The company replaced the seats with generic ones which were acquired on the cheap from somewhere. These were not fitted with belts.

To cut a long story short, the union proved that what the company did was illegal, as our VOSA office said you cannot remove ‘the seatbelt mounting points from a vehicle which has them fitted as original equipment’. The trucks then had to be retro-fitted with seatbelts.

Evening folks,
I think you will find that if your not wearing your seatbelt and you have an accident your insurance company won’t pay out fully for a claim. If your accident results in you not being able to work again…wearing a seatbelt could prove to be worth while? :frowning:

I wear mine all the time too

Only a very small minority don’t wear seat belts in a car, What’s so different about a truck?

It’s still going to hurt just as much when you go the the 'screen and hit the floor :unamused:

Its not just about going through the windscreen, a seatbelt holds you in place, the pre-tensioners then pull you in, the airbag operates and then the crumple zone in front of you takes the impact and reduces the chances of you being trapped by your lower half. If your not wearing your belt all this doesn’t take place. Not all accidents are head on, what about role over, side impact or when nobody else is involved such as running of the road? Its worth thinking about…clunk click every trip! :open_mouth:

Fallmonk:

Jimmy Saville would not be pleased

i do not like them in truck ,they ratchet up all the time andi find they are a distraction on local work ,i did read in an article years ago in the com motor that because of the mass of a truck they would not be any use.i must admit i can not recount a situation when i would have said by god good job i had seat belt on

just a thought why dont they make us wear crash helmets ,or better still can the drive possition be put at the back of truck it would be safer

fuse:
just a thought why dont they make us wear crash helmets ,or better still can the drive possition be put at the back of truck it would be safer

Not with the amount of tailgaters it wouldn’t :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

All the time. remember if you are not wearing your seat belt ,it will not pre tension and the air bag will not work.
If you find it “ratchets uo " put a clothes peg on it when you have put ir on ,will give you some slack but will not stop it from working.
For all you tough guys out there who find wearing a seat belt a bit " nancy” , if it was your " privates" going throgh the windscreen rather than your head would you wear one then. Oh no of course you would’nt it will never happen to you will it ? You are far to good a driver.
P{ratts.