Seat Belt use

After reading a couple of threads on here about someone being disciplined for not wearing a seat belt and someone else noticing lots of drivers don’t wear them I thought I would pose a question for those who do wear them.

When driving do you ever have to undo your seat belt to reach something you need to use and if so would you consider it distracts you from your driving to unfasten then re fasten the seat belt?
An example being when you need to pull down the sun visor on the passenger side of the windscreen.
I generally wear my seat belt, but if I have to undo it for some reason I don’t then re apply it until the next time I stop. moving the passenger side sun visor is the most common reason for me doing this, but I am sure there are other times when I have to take the seat belt off, I just can’t think of them.

im one of them that dont wear seat belts i know i risk a fine but thats just the way i am i have to grab it quick sometimes when i see the police but its the risk i take

The only time I take it off is sometimes when reversing, don’t know why I do that I just do. The rest of the time I don’t even notice I am wearing it. The sun visor thing isn’t an issue in my current truck, it’s just one big visor in a Daf.

Those that are not exempted from wearing belts but choose not to wear them -

Do those drivers/passengers have a prominent notice to paramedics and the A&E Dept saying - please leave me at the back of the queue to be treated as it was my own fault for not wearing my seatbelt - I am betting not

It’s alright saying that they know the risks to themselves (their choice) in not wearing one but have they thought about anyone else that it might affect ?

That should hot up the debate :wink:

ROG:

Do those drivers/passengers have a prominent notice to paramedics and the A&E Dept saying - please leave me at the back of the queue to be treated as it was my own fault for not wearing my seatbelt - I am betting not

It’s alright saying that they know the risks to themselves (their choice) in not wearing one but have they thought about anyone else that it might affect ?

Should people who take drugs, drink, smoke, attempt suicide etc also carry this note? Do they think of who they could affect?

zippy!:

ROG:

Should people who take drugs, drink, smoke, attempt suicide etc also carry this note? Do they think of who they could affect?

Yep::: Also fat slobs, lazy gits that don’t exercise and keep fit, and anyone who eats more than one mackyD/BK/KFC per month

ROG:

So what about people who suffer a worse injury because they were wearing the belt, it happens. Should they also be left to the back of the queue? The same stupid argument could be applied to all walks of life. What about people who play sports or ride horses and get injured, they knew the risks so let’s not treat them either? What about the kid crossing the road, not using a crossing, who gets knocked down, leave them there because they knew the risks?

I ignore every dumbass H&S regulation I can, my choice and I know the risks so I guess I better knock up one of these notices then? It’s called life ROG and it’s all a risk to one degree or another.

Those people who don’t wear their belt still pay their NI and at least by not wearing the belt they stand more chance of getting their money’s worth.

What about your infamous accident on the M6? You took a risk by getting yourself in a position where the truck could hit you, should you have been at the back of the queue for your ‘recklessness’?

Santa:

zippy!:

ROG:

Yep::: Also fat slobs, lazy gits that don’t exercise and keep fit, and anyone who eats more than one mackyD/BK/KFC per month

Thats me at the back then, probably moved to the back every time others move behind me too!!! :wink:

Has anyone on here ever been fined for not wearing one in a truck?
I never wear one in the truck and have been past loads of coppers who have done sod all.
They have seatbelts to save you from going thru the windscreen but they have ■■■■ all to protect you from anything coming through the otherside of the windscreen :unamused:

ROG:

What a bloody ridiculous argument that is,my god ive heard it all now.
if trucks were fitted with bright coloured one s like you see in some tankers etc and the old bill could see straight away you didnt have it on im sure more people would wear them ,i been doing this truck driving lark since '86 and i just cant get in the routine of putting it on.
If i do put it on first thing i always forget when i set off again to do the next drop and its usually some hours later that i realise ive not got it on,its habit i spose.

mostly coppers dont bother you, sumtimes i wear a seat belt other times i dont. i always wear one in my car though. and i believe belts in units do restrict your movement, i always take it off whilst manouvering

bubsy06:
I never wear one in the truck and have been past loads of coppers who have done sod all.
They have seatbelts to save you from going thru the windscreen but they have [zb] all to protect you from anything coming through the otherside of the windscreen :unamused:

A workmate of mine got fined,he was snapped by a police smart car at a junction in Royton,he was at the traffic lights and weeks later a photo arrived in transport.I always wear mine,never know it’s on and like coffeeholic said I take it off for reversing.

FH12Volvo:

bubsy06:
They have seatbelts to save you from going thru the windscreen but they have [zb] all to protect you from anything coming through the otherside of the windscreen :unamused:

A workmate of mine got fined,he was snapped by a police smart car at a junction in Royton,he was at the traffic lights and weeks later a photo arrived in transport.I always wear mine,never know it’s on and like coffeeholic said I take it off for reversing.

I was fined €60 in France for not wearing a belt, and my passenger was fined the same.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

So what about people who suffer a worse injury because they were wearing the belt, it happens. Should they also be left to the back of the queue? The same stupid argument could be applied to all walks of life. What about people who play sports or ride horses and get injured, they knew the risks so let’s not treat them either? What about the kid crossing the road, not using a crossing, who gets knocked down, leave them there because they knew the risks?

I ignore every dumbass H&S regulation I can, my choice and I know the risks so I guess I better knock up one of these notices then? It’s called life ROG and it’s all a risk to one degree or another.

Those people who don’t wear their belt still pay their NI and at least by not wearing the belt they stand more chance of getting their money’s worth.

What about your infamous accident on the M6? You took a risk by getting yourself in a position where the truck could hit you, should you have been at the back of the queue for your ‘recklessness’?

I had to think of a snappy snippet for a poster I was making last weekend.

Everything in life carries a risk, even cotton wool can suffocate you, come and experience the thrill of 100mph motorcycles racing on grass! Without Brakes!

Whilst i am not a policeman,and in my current role,i dont want to be,i would inform a police officer if i saw an activity that endangers my well being when im working on the motorway.A driver,car or truck,is not endangering me by not wearing a seat belt so it is not my business.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

I once rolled a 4 wheeler flat, when I 1st started driving, proper 360degree roll.
I walked away from it and put the reason down to
(1) 4 empty 5’x4’ fert pallets stacked up against the head board, creating a make shift headboard
(2) I was thrown into the passenger footwell
The windscreen gap was about 9" when the wagon came to rest. I climbed out myself and only needed a few stitches for glass cuts.
In my opinion you can’t make a truck cab strong enough to withstand the force of up to 44t of mass, and seatbelts should be a matter of personal driver choice.

Cant understand why drivers have a problem wearing them tbh.
If seat belts are fitted - wear them , thats the law isnt it ?
I wonder if its a macho thing ? :sunglasses:

calebs gramps:
if trucks were fitted with bright coloured one s like you see in some tankers etc and the old bill could see straight away .

ERF TGA’s have red ones.

Ken.

Quinny:

calebs gramps:
if trucks were fitted with bright coloured one s like you see in some tankers etc and the old bill could see straight away .

ERF TGA’s have red ones.

Ken.

Any colour you like sir! :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

I totally agree, I also don’t wear a seatbelt in my truck, it’s stupid, but when I do wear it I’m constantly fidgeting to get comfortable, so it stays off, if I’m unfortunate enough to roll my truck then it will probably cost me my life, but guess what, I drive so that I don’t roll my truck, so in the unlucky event that I do, it won’t be the lack of seatbelt that kills, but just plain old fashioned bad luck.

All this wrapping yourself up in cotton wool bollox is turning us into a bunch of faggots, they should take every seatbelt & airbag out of every vehicle on the road & replace them with a big spike coming out of the steering wheel, I bet there wouldn’t be no more than a few accidents each year then :open_mouth: :laughing: