Sealane

Got an interview at sealane tomorrow…anybody know what their like to work for ?

mrfh480:

you will be cab hopping until a cab becomes available they have 4 spare drivers that cab hop so unless you have a stroke of luck and 4 leave in one go you will be waiting a long time for your own truck some have waited 3 yrs, you will be expected to run in on a Saturday (every week) and if you need to be home on a Saturday you have to book it but it isn’t 100% they will get you back , the advert used to says £625 p/w but I notice its gone down to £600 but I used to get £25,000 salary £30 p/w no damage bonus £15 if you get out of yard quickly and a £10 for washing the truck so if you get back on a Friday 11.00pm then you are still expected to wash it , its monthly pay with night outs £25 paid weekly in cash that you collect from security on a Wednesday or when ever you go past with expenses all parking is paid for but you will be abroard 60% of the time , the tm is peter monkhouse he a good bloke but if you damage anything or cost the company money don’t expect any favours
its all general haulage but a funny set up all the truck and driving matters are handled by husk uk who you will be employed by but the planners are from sealane and you never get to meet them as they are based at Dunstable or somewhere in the area they have no knowledge of driving hours which becomes apparent when they ask you to run over you hours ? all the trucks are fitted with all the french / german toll box,s and plenty of fuel cards to use although your expected to fill up at certain places which you will have to find youself other drivers are a bit unsociable and like cab life but every one to their own I suppose , they have some strange start times 12 midnight on a sunday and they will park you up for some times up to 20 hrs at a time ? im a strong believer in trying things for yourself because not everybody is the same ive worked for worse companies but also worked for better they don’t have a big turn over of drivers but the drivers you talk to will have nothing good to say about it but will have been there for years ? good luck

They seem a bit stingy to me, as they used to have XXL M.A.Ns, now they have the smaller cabs (XLX?)

Are we in it for the money or the truck■■? & after 20 years+ in this industry it’s the money!
Granted, we’ d all like a top of the range ‘whatever’ but does that pay the bills■■?

they are part of Star Cargo

starcargo.co.uk/meet-the-team/

based in Harpenden, Alan, Richard and Alistair run the show, decent people. Been going for a long time now!

you could do worse!

4aaaa4dd:

mrfh480:

you will be cab hoping until a cab becomes available they have 4 spare drivers that cab hop so unless you have a stroke of luck and 4 leave in one go you will be waiting a long time for your own truck some have waited 3 yrs, you will be expected to run in on a Saturday (every week) and if you need to be home on a Saturday you have to book it but it isn’t 100% they will get you back , the advert used to says £625 p/w but I notice its gone down to £600 but I used to get £25,000 salary £30 p/w no damage bonus £15 if you get out of yard quickly and a £10 for washing the truck so if you get back on a Friday 11.00pm then you are still expected to wash it , its monthly pay with night outs £25 paid weekly in cash that you collect from security on a Wednesday or when ever you go past with expenses all parking is paid for but you will be abroard 60% of the time , the tm is peter monkhouse he a good bloke but if you damage anything or cost the company money don’t expect any favours
its all general haulage but a funny set up all the truck and driving matters are handled by husk uk who you will be employed by but the planners are from sealane and you never get to meet them as they are based at Dunstable or somewhere in the area they have no knowledge of driving hours which becomes apparent when they ask you to run over you hours ? all the trucks are fitted with all the french / german toll box,s and plenty of fuel cards to use although your expected to fill up at certain places which you will have to find youself other drivers are a bit unsociable and like cab life but every one to their own I suppose , they have some strange start times 12 midnight on a sunday and they will park you up for some times up to 20 hrs at a time ? im a strong believer in trying things for yourself because not everybody is the same ive worked for worse companies but also worked for better they don’t have a big turn over of drivers but the drivers you talk to will have nothing good to say about it but will have been there for years ? good luck

Great post, just saying

kindle530:
They seem a bit stingy to me, as they used to have XXL M.A.Ns, now they have the smaller cabs (XLX?)

they changed to the smaller cabs because in summer the bigger screens where turning the cabs into green houses they only have the basic models with no fridges or any frills but the kit is well maintained and any problems get sorted straight away due to MAN been based in their yard .

4aaaa4dd:

kindle530:

they changed to the smaller cabs because in summer the bigger screens where turning the cabs into green houses they only have the basic models with no fridges or any frills but the kit is well maintained and any problems get sorted straight away due to MAN been based in their yard .

Did you work for them for long?..how long ago did you leave ?

mrfh480:

4aaaa4dd:

kindle530:

Did you work for them for long?..how long ago did you leave ?

the job your going for is probably the one I left last week ?

so go on do tell us, why did you leave ?

the job isn’t too bad but not for me ,I want at least one Saturday in four off to do things like bank, pay bills, dentist etc etc but they cant guarantee it so not for me but other drivers have been there years so it must have something going for it …

Just having a bit of a search around following a suggestion from a friend that there might be a job available for me at one of the Star Cargo companies. I’m happy where I am but I see no problem with exploring my possible options!

I realise this thread is a couple of years old, does a anyone know if the comments above are still the case? And would all the Star Cargo companies be similar to work for? Is it effectively one big company with several different departments?