Sea sickness?

In April I’m booked on the Portsmouth Bilbao boat (sun-tue) only been on Dover Calais and always feel abit funny on that, so question is do you adjust after being on for a few hours or take a steady supply of tablets? Or any other suggestions of course.

Cheers.

Saaamon:
In April I’m booked on the Portsmouth Bilbao boat (sun-tue) only been on Dover Calais and always feel abit funny on that, so question is do you adjust after being on for a few hours or take a steady supply of tablets? Or any other suggestions of course.

Cheers.

you could try this

mind I weren’t driving … :wink:

If your on it that long either the captains lost or your on the crew change sailing that docks in France en route. :laughing: :laughing:
It’s not as bad as you think these days, the tub is pretty well stabilised.
The more you worry about it the worse you’ll be. I don’t suffer myself but on one trip last year I got on feeling rough from a dodgy Indian the previous night :blush: so a couple of bloody Marys before breakfast did the trick :grimacing:

Don’t drink too much. It will get you off to sleep, But if you breath in the fumes from the funnel in the morning, You’ll be doing some ground baiting. Get some sea legs and have a glass of milk about 30 minutes to an hour before departure.
Small and regular portions of food is a must.
Try not to think about it.

Eat a non geasy meal an hour or so before getting on the ship…Get in the cabin before the ship starts moving.If not in the cabin walk down to the lowest deck in the middle of the ship.
Or stand outside to get fresh air and look at the horizon.
Sea sick pills make you very drowsy to drive aftewards and can be dangerous.
I sleep in the cab and pull the split curtains over.
There are wrist bands for sea sickness.
It is the hairs inside the ears that confuse the brain with movement.
Or get the meal on the ship and head to the cabin to lay down.

I don’t want to put you off Salmon, but-
I went sea fishing years ago with a load of workmates, out of Littlehampton. They advised me to eat some breaky, so I had a sarnie as I got on the boat. we poodled off along the river/estuary & I was fine until we got to the sand bar at the mouth/sea- for a hundred yards we were tossed around, up & down, side to side, inside out, you name it, we did it !

Then I threw up & we still had an hours sailing to get to the fishing ground, I proceeded to empty my stomach a few more times until we stopped & dropped the Anchor.

I thought that I’d be ok ! But no, I carried on Spewing up everything I’d ever eaten since birth, my so called ‘Work Mates’ couldn’t have cared less, they were there for the day, even the Bloody Fish were sea sick, nobody caught one !

About 4 hours into this Hell, my so called ‘Work Mates’ decided that they wanted to go further out because the fish weren’t biting (I wonder why ?)
I was totally exhausted, so I told them that they had 3 choices-
1, the Skipper goes overboard.
2. I go overboard.
3. We go back to port.
They reluctantly agreed that the 3rd option was the only legal option as the other 2 would probably involve an expensive court case.

As soon as we fired her up & rode the swell back to port I was as right as rain, knackered but still alive (only just) even had a pint & some food when we got back to Littlehampton.

So much for being a Viking ! Lol.
This Viking’s a Dry Land Viking !

Pretty good stabilizers on the boats these days but I find a product called ‘sea sickness bands’ work well. You can get them online and chemists and o e goes around each wrist and works on pressure points in the wrist.

The ferries across the Bay of Biscay (to Santander and Bilbao) can be a bit unpredictable as they’re picking up all the swell from that corner of Europe, hence why that coast is a mecca of surfing. I was on the Santander boat once and the trip took 29 hours as a result of the heavy seas. I wasn’t sick but made a point of spending all of my waking hours sat in the centre of the ferry where the movement is least felt. I also took Kwells tablets which apparently worked, although TBH I’ve never been seasick without tablets, even on the Roscoff ferry when it gets rough.

The chances are that the crossing could be beautifully calm, and you’ll enjoy a mini-cruise all the way to Spain whilst getting paid for it, but if you’re going to fret about it from now until April perhaps you’d be better off giving the trip to someone else?

~ Craig

Good advice…Just get on it and enjoy the break. Luckily every time I’ve been on it, the weather was kind to me. My buddy did it the week before and was crying at the other end, as it was that rough. BLURGHHHHH! :smiley:

Leave sun night and arrive tue morning it stops in roscoff for crew change and embarkment of more passengers, wouldn’t say I’m fretting actually quite excited and I certainly wouldn’t turn down the opportunity. Think I mite try the wrist bands.

MTFU! :wink:

its all in the mind !!! I used to get it as a kid when I went fishing with my dad . after a while he got fed up of hanging on to me while hung my head over the side and told me "its all in yer ed lad ,git yer sen sorted or yer wont be coming agen " I was cured :slight_smile: never had it since :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

syramax:
its all in the mind !!! I used to get it as a kid when I went fishing with my dad . after a while he got fed up of hanging on to me while hung my head over the side and told me "its all in yer ed lad ,git yer sen sorted or yer wont be coming agen " I was cured :slight_smile: never had it since :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Funny you should say that actually, last year I started using the Dover boat regularly and remember the first few times I’d start to feel funny just waiting in the lane!

My missus gets seasick and she’s tried those Kwell things and wristbands and they did work for her, try sitting midships if you can rather than on the side that’ll help a little.

Kwells, wrist bands, sit in the middle, don’t breath the exhaust fumes■■? WOT A LOAD OF WIMPS AN OLE WOMEN ! :laughing: thought you lot were all of the brave and hard men of the trucking fraternity not nursery attendees. Get along down to the bar then you will have an excuse for meeting Hughie :unamused:

true, regularly been on small ferrys in storms that made lorrys in the hold topple over… have no idea what sea sickness is about :laughing:

milodon:
true, regularly been on small ferrys in storms that made lorrys in the hold topple over… have no idea what sea sickness is about :laughing:

Same here … have never suffered from sea sickness and the rougher it is the better. Mind you, I did object on Xmas Eve on the North Sea when I fell out of bed the third time. LOL (Was on the freighter out of Europoort to Harwich)

I’ve been absolutely terrified a few times when it’s got really rough, usually on a freighter where I was the only English speaker (apart from the officers) and usually in the North Sea. Never felt sea sick though so I guess that’s something to be grateful for as I hear there are two stages to it.

Stage one. You think you will die.

Stage two. You wish you would die.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Never been sea sick even when the newcastle ijmuiden ferry sailed in a force 10 n nearly every wave took the prop out of the water. The buffet was excellent, the beer was nice and the restraunt was nice and quiet but the toilets were busy though

The Bay of Biscay can make a Billy goat puke it’s guts up.
The Duc de Normandie used to make me bad.It is currently still in operation in some far flung place in the world.
The Stenaline ship was a good craic.
Nicknamed the Love boat.
Cherbourg/Southampton.
Stunning waitress on there called Gina.
Long black hair down to her hips.
Marie Noel worked in the freight office in Cherbourg.
Blue eyed brunette.She owns a childrens clothes shop in town.
Her work mates were very flirty.