Sea Sickness....

Just wondered how many people who use the ferries regularly, or occasionally, suffer/have suffered from sea sickness?

What did/do you do to combat it, and how it did/does it affect your driving afterwards?

Ive done the short sailing from Stranraer/Belfast or Cairnryan/Larne (2-3hours max) manys a time, and the only time its affected me is when I was heavy on the APPLE JUICE the night before, it was also a WINDY/ROUGH sailing, but apart from that I find it to not be as un-comfy etc as driving a lorry getting blown around etc etc…

I always found just lying down helped on the voyage, and i was never troubled by after affects. :smiley:

Always eat plenty of oranges, its the only food that tastes the same coming up as it does going down:laughing: :laughing:

Have been on many ferry crossing’s but the only one i have ever been sea sick on is the freighter between poole and santander,that crossing is 27/28 hours long and can get a bit rough in the bay of biscay at times.

I used to suffer quite bad with sea sickness. I’d had a couple of overnighters on the Liverpool Belfast ferry that would take some time to fade from the memory!! :cry:

Anyway, during the roughest crossing I had experienced, an old chap who was in the same cabin as me said to eat as normal prior to the trip and then when it gets rough lay down flat with no pillow.

I slept really well after that and so far, touch wood, it has worked for me ever since.

www.sea-band.com I bought some of these a few years ago, bloomin’ marvelous, never looked back

no problems with sea sickness for me…
you wouldnt get me on one of those things for love nor money.im scared to death of them!! :blush: :cry:

If you feel sea sickness coming on try sitting under an apple tree.

im lucky that i have never suffered from it, the wors crossing i have had was from fishguard in june and it was blowing a hoolie.

i have been told if you do feel seasick go outside and out of the wind, its better than being inside

Never had a problem with it really. A couple of times I felt a little queasy but not enough to stop me eating and drinking as normal. And there were some really rough crossings on the Coutances and Purbeck. One crossing from Cherbourg was full of french Armee du Terre. They swaggered onto the boat, ate everything in sight (like locusts) then proceeded to puke all over the place once we got out of the harbour. In fairness, it was blowing at force 10 which made it interesting. I was lucky though, they let you go out to the truck if you were on the top deck.

Heard all sorts of horror stories but never had an issue. Even the Irish Sea never caused much trouble for me. Mind you, I haven’t done the Newfie crossing when it’s rough yet. Reckon that one may teach me a lesson somehow.