SDM european

Could anybody tell me if there a good outfit to work for? anybody on for them? where do they go? very tidy fleet one of the best around I think these days. was thinking of giving them a call or if any you guys reckon not so good then will leave it! saw 3 catching the boat at Caen when on i was on my way back from hols!

I know its from a slightly different point of view but a mate of mine used to sub for them about 4/5 yrs ago (so things may be very different), besides the usual and probably justified OD gripes he said they seemed like a good firm to be employed by. The work he/they did was Benelux, I’m sure he did a few to Spain (again may be cos he was a subby). He used to bring a lot back to the supermarket RDC’s and I assume their employed drivers are doing similar. He mentioned they used to be away for the week sometimes two but not always.

The kit (as I’m assuming you noticed) is/was good and tidy.

He stated that the office were good to deal with from his point of view.

Sorry if its irrelevant but I’m just scrapping around trying to recall the conversation with my mate cos at the time I was looking for possibly applying for them and these were his suggestion.

I know this Company quite well…and can tell you they are one the best companies still in European Transport and in private ownership.
They run very good kit, they have good direct work…and ferry accounts.
The Traffic chaps are “First Class” and if you work with them… and help the job along then you will greated treated well… and are very able to push one up the road when needed rather than Degree Educated Logisdtics men who do not know one end of a truck from the other.
Good Luck.
Neville.

well im not actually a subby so would be looking to get on for them directly. thanks for your feedback guys. neville do they do much France? like i say saw 3 waiting for the Caen boat. Also seen pics of there trucks with MDC frozen foods on there trailers so assuming they do frozen veg from Belgium/Holland.

I say the same as Neville ,we sub for them and they keep there drivers, some have been there for years which is a good sign and a good bunch of lads too.
I have known the office lads for 10 years plus, even when they were part of wincanton ,good to work with,
Klunk.

Hey,
Yes they do a lot of France… mainly Normandy and below but really they go where the customer wants them to go… and if you want to get on there… try to speak to Martin.
They run top spec units and expect them to be looked after.
Regards

Interesting, this is a company that hasn’t come up on my radar. From there location any connection with the old Rokold ?. Or the name SDM, anything to do with Simon McCann ?.

SDM is the initials of the three founders, yes ex Rokold who were bought out by Wincanton, who ran the continental side down.Can not think of there names at he moment.

Thanks alot for that Neville. I see they got a trailer with MDC foods on who do alot of frozen veg out of Holland and Belgium so presuming they do that. Do you know how many of there own motors they got? Bit confused as to where there trucks are based at as they got 3 addresses on there website!

scaniav8power:
Thanks alot for that Neville. I see they got a trailer with MDC foods on who do alot of frozen veg out of Holland and Belgium so presuming they do that. Do you know how many of there own motors they got? Bit confused as to where there trucks are based at as they got 3 addresses on there website!

The three addresses i think are the three directors/partners but the trucks are based at Bicester. Good luck when i became redundant earlier this year rang them several times but jobs don’t come up that often as only a small fleet and the lads on there stay put.

thanks for your input tourist. take it you didnt get on there then mate? does anybody know if they do much Germany? Guessing they dont as Ive never seen any of the trucks with a mautbox in the window although i know that probably means nothing!

Hi,
Rare for them to to do Germany… but go where the work goes of course.
The D is for Dave Cranny… the M is for Martin Hodgkins…and yes yard at Bicester with accounts and Admin at Biddenham, Bedford.

scaniav8power:
Could anybody tell me if there a good outfit to work for? anybody on for them? where do they go? very tidy fleet one of the best around I think these days. was thinking of giving them a call or if any you guys reckon not so good then will leave it! saw 3 catching the boat at Caen when on i was on my way back from hols!

Lord Loopy is the man to ask

Who is lord loopy?!

me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Lord Loopy:

Apparently your the man to ask?! You on for them?

Lord Loopy:

What are the 39 steps??

Sorry, Ross :sunglasses:

I’ve been a subby for 5yrs now & can’t fault them. As for their own driver’s it’s been almost 0% turnover in that time. Money wise I don’t know what they earn (it’s nothing to do with me what someone else earns). The work is good and clean, the fleet is all top of the range that is looked after accordingly. I could tell you it’s the best job going BUT … what doesn’t bother some men (weekending, cleaning, unsociable delivery times etc etc etc ) makes other men’s head fall off. the best way to find out is to pop into the Bicester office & ask, they don’t bite!
When I wanted a start on for the top local haulier to me I kept sticking my head through the door every couple of weeks until I got the start.
ps good jobs NEVER get advertised!!!