Scruffy drivers

have you ever looked at a driver and thought,you scruffy tw!!t,you look like a tramp.the company i work for sent an agency driver home lastweek after he turned up in grease stained jeans with his gut hanging out of his teeshirt,you wouldnt get a job in an office dressed like that so why do drivers think its ok to drive a truck like it,have a look about this week and think if it was my 70grand truck would i want him driving it,and god knows how some of them pass a medical,is it realy that hard to look after your own health when your a driver?

My hi vis coat (not the bib type, the big coat) has grease stains on it, and some of my jeans do on the front thigh where the suzi’s that are covered in grease hit them.
Why should I keep buying clothes because of the crap involved in the job?

Where I work now, the drivers are all permanent, they’re all proper drivers who use the suspension to couple and uncouple, so there’s not ■■■■ loads of grease on the front of the trailer and hence not all over the suzi’s, so I wear smarter clothes and save the ones with stains for when I go to places with muppets as drivers and the suzi’s are dripping with grease.

I wouldn’t get covered in grease in an office so I wouldn’t wear stuff with grease stains, stupid argument.

But I agree though, some drivers are ultra scruffy, un washed, stink, unfit, slouch about, drooling at the mouth and massive guts hanging over their ‘joggers’ - that’s completely different to not wearing appropriate clothing for the job though :wink:

A driver at Asda in Doncaster actually cleared the waiting room a few weeks ago, it was disgusting, there’s no excuse to smell like you can’t have had a bath or a wash for at least a month. Drivers who appear for work in that state should be sent home and told to come back in a presentable manner.

HaHa,Where my son used to work they gave a “scruffy driver” money out of the petty cash float ,gave him one of the office girls Matalan card & told him buy your self some polo shirts & trousers,have a shower before you come back to work you can’t go to one of our best customers as you are!(his nick name was “The Stench” can you guess why?) :laughing: :laughing:

On the other side, I always think it hilarious when I see hgv drivers wearing shirts and ties :unamused: as a professional container driver for the last 4 months i’ve worn shorts, tshirt and trainers :exclamation:

Some jobs you’re going to get dirty, but even if you’re a tramper there is no excuse for a lack of personal hygiene.

containers_only:
On the other side, I always think it hilarious when I see hgv drivers wearing shirts and ties :unamused: as a professional container driver for the last 4 months i’ve worn shorts, tshirt and trainers :exclamation:

I don’t care what anyone wears, if your comfortable, wear what you want. It’s the smelly ■■■■■■■ who ain’t got a excuse

I dont think theres any exuse these days…plenty of truck stops with decent showers…or even a strip wash, the ones who make me smile are mr macho in shorts and vest in winter, oh and the clogs . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

selby newcomer:

containers_only:

I don’t care what anyone wears, if your comfortable, wear what you want. It’s the smelly [zb] who ain’t got a excuse

I don’t know I still think turning up for work in a Mankini is just plain wrong. :laughing:

ok then you wouldnt go to work in an office covered in coffee stains,is that easier

waynedl:
My hi vis coat (not the bib type, the big coat) has grease stains on it, and some of my jeans do on the front thigh where the suzi’s that are covered in grease hit them.

Where I work now, the drivers are all permanent, they’re all proper drivers who use the suspension to couple and uncouple, so there’s not [zb] loads of grease on the front of the trailer and hence not all over the suzi’s, so I wear smarter clothes and save the ones with stains for when I go to places with muppets as drivers and the suzi’s are dripping with grease.

I wouldn’t get covered in grease in an office so I wouldn’t wear stuff with grease stains, stupid argument.

But I agree though, some drivers are ultra scruffy, un washed, stink, unfit, slouch about, drooling at the mouth and massive guts hanging over their ‘joggers’ - that’s completely different to not wearing appropriate clothing for the job though :wink:

I only shower on saturdays… I take great pride in my thursday/friday scruffyness!

i always look like a tramp at the end of a shift lol-covered in dust and dirt and mud

IAM SORRY TO SAY BUT AS A TRAMPER IAM COMING ACROSS TRAMPERS WHO THINK WASHING IS NOT SOMETHING TO DO IN THE WEEK.THER ARE NO REASONS WHY THEY CANNOT GET CLEAN.IVE STARTED TELLING TRAMPERS WHER I WORK IF THEY SMELL .

You never see really scruffy slobs directly employed on well termed and conditioned jobs, says it all.

If someone looks like they have no pride in themselves or simply can’t be bothered, it doesn’t take much imagination to assume they take a similar pride in the job or doing it well, hence i refer you to the above.

What about drivers moving plant machinery… I struggle to stay clean, always grease stained and muddy. It’s difficult when the machine is covered in mud! Literally slopping off the tracks and under carriage and you have to clamber round it to chain it down.

It might be different for some drivers, but there are jobs that are messy and looking scruffy is a consequence.

Some of our tipper drivers are away all week & on a Friday range from looking like they’ve just stepped out of a shop window to looking like they’ve just been dragged from a pile of wheatfeed wearing the same clothes they started the week in. To each his own.

I only do ISO tanks so stay relatively clean most of the time, but sometimes, I come to work in really scruffy cloths if I’m on a job where I could get certain products I’m tipping on them as ‘PIB’ (despite being none-haz) totally ruins anything it comes into contact with. I have a bath or shower every day & couldn’t be any cleaner & if anyone ever has the cheek to tell me I should wear anything other than what I choose will get some total abuse, it’s my choice & I really don’t give a ■■■■ what anyone else thinks of my (lack of) sartorial eloquence!!

Ross.

I remember a few years ago 3 of us were loading together, it was a real hot and sweaty Monday afternoon and we were sheeting flats, at the finish we were all sweaty and black as crows, 2 of us decided to go for a shower (not together you understand :laughing: ) the other guy says “I’ll just get a shower at home” I said I didn’t think he would have enough time left to get home tonight, he said “No, I mean on Friday” :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

ibson:
What about drivers moving plant machinery… I struggle to stay clean, always grease stained and muddy. It’s difficult when the machine is covered in mud! Literally slopping off the tracks and under carriage and you have to clamber round it to chain it down.

It might be different for some drivers, but there are jobs that are messy and looking scruffy is a consequence.

I carry a hand brush for getting dried mud off my clothes. I wear old jeans that are past their best and primark t shirts. I carry overalls and wet weather gear (I cycle to work), so my cab looks scruffy when hanging on the cab wall and passenger seat. What people need to remember is a tipper/skip/mixer or low loader do dirtier work than a trampers’ wagon running from warehouse to warehouse.

containers_only:

If you’re talking about the Turners driver on the OOCL contract, he’s called Graham, and although wearing a shirt and tie, has 1 of the scruffiest trucks you’ll ever come across

strongbowpeter:
ok then you wouldnt go to work in an office covered in coffee stains,is that easier

waynedl:

Where I work now, the drivers are all permanent, they’re all proper drivers who use the suspension to couple and uncouple, so there’s not [zb] loads of grease on the front of the trailer and hence not all over the suzi’s, so I wear smarter clothes and save the ones with stains for when I go to places with muppets as drivers and the suzi’s are dripping with grease.

No, because you’re unlikely to get coffee stains on you everytime you change a trailer, but at some places it’s VERY likely.
As I said, it depends where you’re going. If I’m going to a place where it’s mainly agency drivers, I’ll wear my grease stained jeans and coat, if I’m going a place where it’s mainly drivers that care, use the suspension when coupling / uncoupling and the suzi’s are unlikely to be caked in grease, I’ll wear clothes without grease stains, either regatta work trousers or asda / tesco jeans depending on the job.

As Muckaway and ibson said, some jobs you’re going to get dirty, ■■■■■■■ and covered in all sorts, not much point in wearing your best clothes… BUT, after getting covered in all that crap, the next stop is the shower to get uncovered in it and change into clothes that aren’t covered in it - but are still stained from last time they were covered in it.

Some jobs pay say £7.50 per hour for 8hrs = 60 quid. Tax, insurance, fuel and food come out of that, stuffed if I’m buying new clothes everyday too just to keep a nosey interfering sod like you happy :smiling_imp:

Anyway, current (full time / permanent :open_mouth: ) job, the drivers know how to drop a trailer and hook 1 up without getting everything covered in grease, so I can wear better clothes without worrying I’m going to wreck them.

What happened to firms issuing uniforms?

tuck your gut in why do you think ime talking about you?the point ime making is you wouldnt get in your own car and spread grease and turds all over the seats but maybe you do,and office workers maybe earn minium wage but still make an effort to look human

waynedl:

containers_only:

If you’re talking about the Turners driver on the OOCL contract, he’s called Graham, and although wearing a shirt and tie, has 1 of the scruffiest trucks you’ll ever come across

strongbowpeter:

waynedl:

No, because you’re unlikely to get coffee stains on you everytime you change a trailer, but at some places it’s VERY likely.
As I said, it depends where you’re going. If I’m going to a place where it’s mainly agency drivers, I’ll wear my grease stained jeans and coat, if I’m going a place where it’s mainly drivers that care, use the suspension when coupling / uncoupling and the suzi’s are unlikely to be caked in grease, I’ll wear clothes without grease stains, either regatta work trousers or asda / tesco jeans depending on the job.

As Muckaway and ibson said, some jobs you’re going to get dirty, [zb], and covered in all sorts, not much point in wearing your best clothes… BUT, after getting covered in all that crap, the next stop is the shower to get uncovered in it and change into clothes that aren’t covered in it - but are still stained from last time they were covered in it.

Some jobs pay say £7.50 per hour for 8hrs = 60 quid. Tax, insurance, fuel and food come out of that, stuffed if I’m buying new clothes everyday too just to keep a nosey interfering sod like you happy :smiling_imp:

Anyway, current (full time / permanent :open_mouth: ) job, the drivers know how to drop a trailer and hook 1 up without getting everything covered in grease, so I can wear better clothes without worrying I’m going to wreck them.

What happened to firms issuing uniforms?