Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

albion1938:

Spardo:
That Saddler’s sheet looks as if it was intended for an artic, or possibly an 8 wheeler.

1936 HGV licence? :open_mouth: What’s all that about then? just needed to be 21 and have a car licence when I started in about 1963. Passed my test in the morning and got set on by the Co-op in the afternoon. :smiley:

I believe the HGV licence was dropped early in WW2 so anyone could drive one due to shortage of drivers lost to call up, and not reinstated until the 1968 Transport Bill when the new HGV licences started at the same time as HGV plating and testing. The only restriction in between was needing to be over 21 to drive over 3 tons unladen when “heavy motor cars” got added to your car licence.
Bernard

Thanks for that Bernard, I had no idea that the HGV licence had been reinstated in '68, I thought it was a totally new idea. I got mine by grandfather rights of course but a mate of the same age, Barry Poole, at K&M of Hucknall had had a gap in his service as a driver and was forced to take the test. He failed, twice I think, purely on his habit of holding the vehicle on the clutch without engaging the hand brake at junctions. I thought it was most unfair because if you were trying to enter a very busy main road you needed a fast reaction to any gap and the time it took to engage a crash box and then release the air valve on an Atki was often too slow.

Dipster:
[

Or just a forlorn hope…
[/quote]
Surely it would be impossible to start a big diesel in the Leyland handle?
[/quote]
It must have been there for a purpose, no? If not starting the beast what else?
[/quote]

As someone suggested: three chaps and a rope. If it had been a Gardner you’d have used the decompression levers to take some of the slog out of it.

Buzzer

ERF-NGC-European:

Dipster:
[

Or just a forlorn hope…
[/quote]
Surely it would be impossible to start a big diesel in the Leyland handle?
[/quote]
It must have been there for a purpose, no? If not starting the beast what else?
[/quote]

As someone suggested: three chaps and a rope. If it had been a Gardner you’d have used the decompression levers to take some of the slog out of it.

I seem to remember Dad saying they started 2/3 cyl Dorman diesels in old dumpers and excavators with 2 people using a rope. Not much good if it does not fire on the first hit of compression?

essexpete:
As someone suggested: three chaps and a rope.

I must have been very lucky with my first motors and also came in at the end of that era because I only have one memory of starting heavy engines by the handle. Somewhere in the eastern counties I overnighted with my Albion at a transport cafe/digs and was called outside by the older blokes before breakfast to go round all the handles with a rope starting all the wagons that needed it. They were then left ticking over, causing a large cloud to hover over the neighbourhood, while we all then went back in to our full English. :smiley:

My first real introduction to the Brotherhood of the Road. :smiley:

Spardo:

essexpete:

I must have been very lucky with my first motors and also came in at the end of that era because I only have one memory of starting heavy engines by the handle. Somewhere in the eastern counties I overnighted with my Albion at a transport cafe/digs and was called outside by the older blokes before breakfast to go round all the handles with a rope starting all the wagons that needed it. They were then left ticking over, causing a large cloud to hover over the neighbourhood, while we all then went back in to our full English. :smiley:

You missed the good old days then , :laughing: i also remember in the worst of winters that some inconsiderate drivers would leave the engines running all night to save that chore in the mornings . these days they leave on their fridge units ,dont they ?-- — toshboy

toshboy:

Spardo:

essexpete:

You missed the good old days then , :laughing: i also remember in the worst of winters that some inconsiderate drivers would leave the engines running all night to save that chore in the mornings . these days they leave on their fridge units ,dont they ?-- — toshboy

I used to run the motor all night, but not in company, laybys only, but that was for warmth (very little from a Gardner) and, in those days of exhaust pipes just under the driver’s door, risked not freezing to death but suffocation. :unamused:

Buzzer

309988139_5528195810590553_3133569202602871249_n.jpg

Spardo:

toshboy:

Spardo:

essexpete:

I used to run the motor all night, but not in company, laybys only, but that was for warmth (very little from a Gardner) and, in those days of exhaust pipes just under the driver’s door, risked not freezing to death but suffocation. :unamused:

Dad left a dumper running all night on very cold winters. They could then tow a lorry and the old manual loading shovel to get going. (late 50s early 60s).

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Just thinking back but I don’t think I have ever seen a mixer on a TK?
What is the brewery 8 wheeler?

essexpete:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

OK, I’ll stick my head above the parapet. Albion? Though I have no idea why there is no badge.
It is Mitchell & Butler’s isn’t it? A Birminghan brewery and I well remnember one of their directors, maybe the MD, advertising on tv with his strong Brummie accent. :smiley:

essexpete:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

The 8 wheeler is indeed an Albion but fitted with 16 inch wheels to lower the whole vehicle to aid beer deliveries, Buzzer

Buzzer

310349239_10225486877553322_5086429045672656379_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Some of the termites around these parts Buzzer would make mincemeat of the “wooden LR”!

David

Buzzer:

essexpete:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

The 8 wheeler is indeed an Albion but fitted with 16 inch wheels to lower the whole vehicle to aid beer deliveries, Buzzer

Thank you for the reply. On second look it it appears to be a G reg and much later than I had thought? Looks like at least some of the cab was GRP.

essexpete:

Buzzer:

essexpete:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Thank you for the reply. On second look it it appears to be a G reg and much later than I had thought? Looks like at least some of the cab was GRP.

That cab was normally associated with Guy lorries - their version of the tin-front.

Buzzer:
RECKON THIS WOULD BE OVERWEIGHT WITHOUT THE PALLET ON THE REAR, MERC’S WERE HEAVY CHASSIS

I think as long as the tractor is under six ton it should have been ok.

dave docwra:

Buzzer:
RECKON THIS WOULD BE OVERWEIGHT WITHOUT THE PALLET ON THE REAR, MERC’S WERE HEAVY CHASSIS

I think as long as the tractor is under six ton it should have been ok.

That’s quite right Dave, it was a touch over 5 tons & I know because that was my lorry.

The picture was taken in June 1994, I brought it back to Derbyshire from a farm near Bath, he had a weighbridge & I grossed out at a shade over 10 tons.

The lorry was an 11 ton gross model

Buzzer

310462424_5532830566793744_5723061893820911521_n.jpg

310309598_5532830710127063_1215258313236716088_n.jpg

Buzzer

310295815_166987019326609_4381132550349562425_n (2).jpg