Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Dipster:

Buzzer:

ParkRoyal2100:

Buzzer:

What’s in the bales they’re carting? Waste paper?

PR it looks very much like waste paper to me, remember on our farm they used to come and collect and pay for by weight empty paper feed bags 60 years ago, Buzzer

In Sao Paulo they have thousands of blokes scavenging bins in the city to sell useful waste for recycling. I was always amused to see those who collected cardboard soaking it thoroughly to increase its weight before heading off to the weighing/buying merchants. Doubtless the buyers had already recalculated their prices to avoid paying for water! Was your paper sold “humid” Buzzer?!

When us kids in the village were collecting burnables for our Bonfire on the 5th of Novemeber farmers were reluctant to let us have the paper sacks animal feed came in, they used to fold them neatly and tie them in bundles with old bale strings ready for collection but we used to get old bits of wood etc. We always had a good bonfire which we worked on for six weeks prior to the big night with adults lending a hand on the last day, we used to cut a lot of Fuzz (gorse) as this was in abundance, We were always worried that it may get set alight early by yobs as this used to occur on occasions, Buzzer

Unfortunately the term “waste paper” is in many cases incorrectly applied to as a lot of “waste” is actually brand new and has never been through a manufacturing process i.e. printing or packaging process . Because the term used had the word “waste” inserted in the description a haulier had to have a waste licence although the loads that were carried were not “waste” at all !
At Bewick Transport all the “waste” we hauled into the five main paper mills we worked for was indeed brand new Bleached Kraft and brown board and as good and clean as the day it was made ! With the only exception being two tissue manufacturers into which we hauled what was termed “printed pams” ( pamphlets).
The first two shots are of the 24 ton loads of new trim we hauled back to East Lancs Mill from the various Rexam manufacturing plants around the UK which was the edges of the reels of liner board we delivered into the plants we had a trailer dropped at each plant which when it was loaded up we ran it back to the mill and Rexam would receive a credit for the load .
The third shot is of a number of loads of “printed pams” on trailers in the depot awaiting call off to the tissue mill [attachment=

scan0167.jpg

PS The middle shot is the depot shot ! poxy computer ! :unamused:

Buzzer

308595380_2893053927670080_2428998960722475730_n.jpg

Buzzer

308881828_1518490355274860_9223216712183259191_n.jpg

308103435_1518490315274864_6052914710490068161_n.jpg

That Saddler’s sheet looks as if it was intended for an artic, or possibly an 8 wheeler.

1936 HGV licence? :open_mouth: What’s all that about then? just needed to be 21 and have a car licence when I started in about 1963. Passed my test in the morning and got set on by the Co-op in the afternoon. :smiley:

Spardo:
That Saddler’s sheet looks as if it was intended for an artic, or possibly an 8 wheeler.

1936 HGV licence? :open_mouth: What’s all that about then? just needed to be 21 and have a car licence when I started in about 1963. Passed my test in the morning and got set on by the Co-op in the afternoon. :smiley:[/quot

David that makes you about 80yo by my reckoning and I noted you were a little late starting your comments today, did you have a lie in ? Buzzer

Buzzer:

Spardo:

1936 HGV licence? :open_mouth: What’s all that about then? just needed to be 21 and have a car licence when I started in about 1963. Passed my test in the morning and got set on by the Co-op in the afternoon. :smiley:[/quot

David that makes you about 80yo by my reckoning and I noted you were a little late starting your comments today, did you have a lie in ? Buzzer

Lie in? You must be joking, I have to be up early for the arrival of the social services lady who gets my wife out of bed twice a week, she has vascular dementia and can do nothing for herself, then off to the builders’ merchants to get a large board for my map of pre-autoroute France, before walking the dog on the way back, cleaning the garden of his yesterdays leavings, taking my trike round the circuit depositing re-cycling and checking the post box, doing my morning swim in the pond, now down to 14 metres due to the temp drop (14C today) and the fact that I haven’t donned my hat yet to combat brain freeze, and then back into the house for a nice hot cup of coffee. :unamused:

So no, no lie in, but yes, my 80th is at the end of December. So looking forward to it, obviously. :laughing: :laughing:

BTW, I put in at least 9 commas in that massive sentence above, so hope you, as a bit of an old codger yourself, took the chance to take a few breaths. :wink: :smiley:

Buzzer

Very interesting, that last one, an early swap body. Not the way we did it at Toray but clever nevertheless, even though it doesn’t appear to be possible in the other direction. :smiley:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Lie in? You must be joking, I have to be up early for the arrival of the social services lady who gets my wife out of bed twice a week, she has vascular dementia and can do nothing for herself, then off to the builders’ merchants to get a large board for my map of pre-autoroute France, before walking the dog on the way back, cleaning the garden of his yesterdays leavings, taking my trike round the circuit depositing re-cycling and checking the post box, doing my morning swim in the pond, now down to 14 metres due to the temp drop (14C today) and the fact that I haven’t donned my hat yet to combat brain freeze, and then back into the house for a nice hot cup of coffee. :unamused:

So no, no lie in, but yes, my 80th is at the end of December. So looking forward to it, obviously. :laughing: :laughing:

BTW, I put in at least 9 commas in that massive sentence above, so hope you, as a bit of an old codger yourself, took the chance to take a few breaths. :wink: :smiley:

Good work! I hope I’m as active as that in 10 years time. Don’t forget to put in all those little towns and villages that got by-passed on the RN10, along with their long-forgotten Routier stops. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Good work! I hope I’m as active as that in 10 years time. Don’t forget to put in all those little towns and villages that got by-passed on the RN10, along with their long-forgotten Routier stops. :smiley:

No need, all the routiers are marked in my year 2000 hardback Michelin, the large wall map was a gift from a map supplier back in the late '80s. We had just moved into brand new offices and I bought one of those brackets with swinging frames for wall maps including with the order half a dozen or so regional maps of the UK. Much easier for multi-drop route planning as I have never let my old Autoroute (later bought out by Microsoft) have the last word.

I love this map as I do prefer RNs but it hasn’t had a home for some years since it lost its spot on the wall due to some renovations. :smiley:

Buzzer

309653900_183943564115953_522429111082513054_n.jpg

306972457_5415358558577051_295917601957694760_n.jpg

the driver of the Accrington Brick Scammell doesn’t appear to have much confidence in the parking brake. :open_mouth:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Was the electric starter standard or optional?

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer0

Or just a forlorn hope…

Dipster:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer0

Or just a forlorn hope…

Surely it would be impossible to start a big diesel in the Leyland handle?

The unit skewed with tanker trailer looks really ancient next to the Bedford van and mini.

essexpete:

Dipster:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer0

Or just a forlorn hope…

It must have been there for a purpose, no? If not starting the beast what else?

essexpete:

Dipster:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer0

Or just a forlorn hope…

Nah , a three man rope job ,thats how we used to have to do it , :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:

1936 HGV licence? :open_mouth: What’s all that about then? just needed to be 21 and have a car licence when I started in about 1963. Passed my test in the morning and got set on by the Co-op in the afternoon. :smiley:

I believe the HGV licence was dropped early in WW2 so anyone could drive one due to shortage of drivers lost to call up, and not reinstated until the 1968 Transport Bill when the new HGV licences started at the same time as HGV plating and testing. The only restriction in between was needing to be over 21 to drive over 3 tons unladen when “heavy motor cars” got added to your car licence.
Bernard