Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Ray Smyth:

robroy:

[quote="Buzzer’’ [attachment=0]

Screenshot_20220803-065538_Chrome.jpg[/attachment]

Did you have a ‘‘Tiger in your tank’’

The prices of petrol on the signboard show 68p to 71p, for the various grades of fuel.
These costs are per gallon of fuel, unlike todays £1.94 which only buys you a litre.

Cheers, Ray.

I used to have a Triumph GT6 2 litre in the 80s… the thing would only run properly on 5 star.
They stopped making it, and I found a local garage that had a good stock left, everybody else ran on 4 star.
Then there was a fuel crisis shortage,.after a strike I think,.and everybody else used up all his 5 star. :unamused:
So I ended up selling it in the end,.what I really needed was a good mechanic to sort it.

A useless piece of info, but I just thought I’d share it. :laughing:

robroy:

Ray Smyth:

robroy:

[quote="Buzzer’’ [attachment=0]

Did you have a ‘‘Tiger in your tank’’

The prices of petrol on the signboard show 68p to 71p, for the various grades of fuel.
These costs are per gallon of fuel, unlike todays £1.94 which only buys you a litre.

Cheers, Ray.

I used to have a Triumph GT6 2 litre in the 80s… the thing would only run properly on 5 star.
They stopped making it, and I found a local garage that had a good stock left, everybody else ran on 4 star.
Then there was a fuel crisis shortage,.after a strike I think,.and everybody else used up all his 5 star. :unamused:
So I ended up selling it in the end,.what I really needed was a good mechanic to sort it.

A useless piece of info, but I just thought I’d share it. :laughing:

Couldn’t you have simply retarded the ignition a touch to cure what I imagine was “pinking”. That is pre-ignition. Shame to let a nice car go…

This car showroom was Blakes of Hardman Street in Liverpool. Judging by the number plate on the new
Ford Popular open top car, I estimate it is 1950. The picture is from the Bootle History Forum.

From memory, I think there were 3 Ford Main dealers in Liverpool in the 1950s and 1960s.
They were Blakes, Webbs, and Whitneys, all quite close to the centre of Liverpool.

Ray Smyth.

Blakes.png

This car showroom was Blakes of Hardman Street in Liverpool. Judging by the number plate on the new
Ford Popular open top car, I estimate it is 1950. The picture is from the Bootle History Forum.

JKF was a registration between July 1948 to August 1949, of course that’s if the car was newly registered at the time of the photo to date it for then. I think I would rather have the Station Wagon opposite though. Franky.

JKF was a registration between July 1948 to August 1949, of course that’s if the car was newly registered at the time of the photo to date it for then. I think I would rather have the Station Wagon opposite though. Franky.

Buzzer

Buzzer

Suedehead:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Is that a Vanden Plas top front on that car transporter ? Bet all the cars were rusty before they got to the showroom

Funny you say that, I worked for a large dealership chain for a few weeks before starting my apprenticeship, and exactly what you said happened! Brand new cars having the rust rubbed down and resprayed after coming off the transporters.

Buzzer

You’ve shared some wonderful pictures with us Buzzer, across multiple threads, thanks.

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Fair size derv tank on the Bedford CF

Star down under.:
You’ve shared some wonderful pictures with us Buzzer, across multiple threads, thanks.

Thanks mate I do enjoy looking back now in retirement as a lot of these companies I remember when starting out in my driving years as I’me sure many of you do as well, sadly most are now gone but how transport has moved on and today you need a computer to fix things instead of an old toolbox with a mix of spanners and other old tools, cheers Buzzer

Buzzer:

Star down under.:

Thanks mate I do enjoy looking back now in retirement as a lot of these companies I remember when starting out in my driving years as I’me sure many of you do as well, sadly most are now gone but how transport has moved on and today you need a computer to fix things instead of an old toolbox with a mix of spanners and other old tools, cheers Buzzer

The tools but also the knowledge needed to make repairs. Knowledge gained because you needed the tools! Vehicles at the time were not always reliable. But I enjoyed all that, as it seems you did too.

I think our memories often wear rose coloured spectacles. The good old days, in many cases, were only good once they were old.
Twenty-five ton of hand loaded and unloaded freight, carted with under two hundred horses, wasn’t so good when we were doing it.
No power steering or air conditioning and rudimentary driver accommodation weren’t much fun, either.

Buzzer

Buzzer:

Buzzer

That airplane still looks futuristic today even though that must be 1969/70(?). It’s one of a handful of designs that IMO really deserve the adjective “timeless”.

ParkRoyal2100:

Buzzer:

Buzzer

That airplane still looks futuristic today even though that must be 1969/70(?). It’s one of a handful of designs that IMO really deserve the adjective “timeless”.

Indeed it did, but were you ever near it when it took off? I tipped once not far from its runway and the noise was brain scrambling. My excuse anyway. :unamused: :laughing:

David remember the first flight believe it was from Bristol airport and think the test pilot was Colin Trubsure, looks iconic still today as does the Spitfire, Buzzer

Ray Smyth:

robroy:

[quote="Buzzer’’ [attachment=1]

Did you have a ‘‘Tiger in your tank’’ :smiley:

Cheers, Ray.
[/quote]
Bill for two gallons of petrol I fetched in a can to get my old Albion going when I first had it. Early days of decimal money

Bernard

Buzzer:
David remember the first flight believe it was from Bristol airport and think the test pilot was Colin Trubsure, looks iconic still today as does the Spitfire, Buzzer

Both real beauties John, no doubt about that. A real sad day for me when the French one crashed in Paris. I was parked up for the night in Normandy and heard the news almost as it happened on French radio.