Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

windrush:
Hi Rob, I’m very pleased that you are keeping an eye on us. We need taking to task at times, especially Dan! I doubt that we will see each other this year now though, given the current situation? :cry: So is that pic from before you bought it then?

Pete.

Hey up Pete, yes the only time I took it out to a show when it was blue was a week after I bought it & that was to Darley Dale in 2002.

I’ve recently found some pictures of it at Belper the next year before I had it signwritten & does it look plain!!!

You’ll be able to gather a layer of dust on all your exhibits along with everyone else this year won’t you, I can see tough times ahead for a lot of folks & it could take years to get back to summat like normality.

Both me & Richard Leedham were approached to be community helpers in Longford while this Coronavirus grips the country, so being public spirited citizens we both said yes, no problem.
I ain’t got a problem if someone needs their prescription fetching or some shopping picking up, I’ll always make time to help folk in the village, the problem started when we were put in a WhatsApp group (messaging on ya phone) 2 or 3 of the women trying to organise all this can’t have owt better to do than draw up guidelines on how to safely deliver said shopping, create a safe protocol to collect a prescription, making sure I ain’t some druggy who’s going to be dipping into the box of tablets before handing it over, wanting to know if we’ve been DBS checked what ever that is. FFS Doris only wants 2 pints of milk, half a dozen carrots & a loaf to keep her going till her daughter comes over every Tuesday. instead of just organising who’s going to fetch what’s needed & get it to who’s asked for it they’re messaging each other all day every day, they’re like 14 year old’s who’ve just discovered lads & facebook in the same week.

Rant over…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Haha, I can just picture Richard and your good self being organized by a gang of women Robert, ‘Boss Hogg’ will seem to have been like a ■■■■■ cat now! :laughing: Keep up the good work though, as you are both (in your case former) tipper men you are used to doing a lot of work for nowt! :wink:

I’m busy getting stuff that’s been buried in the garage sorted but you are right, many people and events wont recover easily finance-wise from this year. :cry:

Pete.

Hi again,dont like having the better half home,garden ,garden,garden :unamused: :unamused: …first time in days to post something!!,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Heres an older West of Scotland Atkinson Venturer.

Hi again,great shot of the Atkinson Dean,thanks for posting that one…more old clippings today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hiya,
Wow Bubbs another brilliant display of oldies and not so oldies. Thank You.

Another Kinloch Bedford.

kinloch.PNG

I wonder what make & model this is, :question: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I wonder what make & model this is, :question: , Regards Larry.0

The ribbed radiator top is reminiscement of a Daimler.

The rest does not look quite so luxurious however. :wink: :laughing:

No doubt someone with better eyes than mine will read the words, but I want one, is it a tipper? Is it an automatic? Or perhaps 2 pedals and a handbrake. :unamused: :laughing:

And no gear lever to be seen. :astonished:

Lawrence Dunbar:

It’s a Mercury, (not quite an AEC :smiley: ). They were made for industrial use, as tugs and in various truck forms. Royal Navy had a lot of them. I know some had a sidevalve Ford 10 horse engine.
Bernard

A member of this forum had a Mercury truck that he rallied for several years, it was a nice thing with the Ford sidevalve engine. I believe he donated it to a museum?

Pete.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Looks like a late model Foden to me Larry ! :wink: Hope you are keeping well locked down Marra and looking after you and yours. So dinna forget to ration those Malts----- only two “large” measures per night instead of "glug glug " but if we have to drop to one “small” measure well that will signal the end and throat cutting time !! :open_mouth: :frowning: :blush: :wink: Lets hope it never gets as bad as that eh! Kind Regards Dennis.PS Anne has already put me on poverty rations to-night i.e. ONE ( only f— one !!) double measure of Grouse after dinner !!

Well Dennis, My good lady & myself are doing what Boris is saying, Being confined to the house is ok, We have the tidiest garden cleanest windows, And not to forget the Polished Jaguar & M G,As far as the Malts go I have a well stocked celler, But of course Im not overdoing the measures , :angry: :wink: :wink: , Two drink free nights a week, So you and your family stay safe, Regards Larry.

Funny you should say about the tidiest garden,cleanest windows etc. Larry !! we are defo on the same wave length Marra so snap !! Regards Dennis.

Spardo:

Chris Webb:
David,I remember Stirlands changing over at Stainmore with Smith of Maddiston.I took a loaded unit and trailer up to Penrith one evening from Maltby,think it was 1979, for one of our Penrith based drivers when I worked for MFS. I was supposed to get train home !!! next day but I walked to A66/M6 island and first wagon was a Smiths going to Stainmore which stopped for me of course. So off like the proverbial off a shovel,out of one ERF into another one of Stirlands and away,being dropped off at J1 M18 about 0300,steady walk down to depot and into car,taking care not to be spotted by night shift.
Not that it would have mattered. :laughing:

Might have been after my time Chris, I don’t remember any ERFs while I worked there. The first I remember was my mate George Milner and Johnny Lambert heading out each evening and we had brief CB conversations as I was on my way home from work from my job as manager at Toray. That would be late 80s, early 90s. Neither of those two no longer with us. George and I went back at several firms together to the 60s, he was a good mate and mentor, in fact the man who taught me how tie a dolly and reverse an artic after I had been given one for the first time on a Saturday to take to Liverpool docks on the Monday. No schools or tests in those days eh? :laughing:

Long ago I remember old Fred Chappell’s words…there had been a mix up with drivers and Fred said “Brian, get yerself off with that and give us a ring when you’re tipped” :open_mouth: It was an 8 wheel Atky tipper with about 50 ton of coal on it :wink: I was only a lad, 4 wheel Commer with a TS3, and I said “Nay Fred, I’ve never driven owt like that”…Fred said “well now is your chance to learn, get yerself off with it”…“Yes Fred” :smiley:

For the record :- I tipped at Hedleys, Trafford Park, rang him and he sent me back to Ackton Hall colliery for another load to Hedleys…2 load in the day :unamused: I never did go back to the 4 wheel Commer

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Wow Bubbs another brilliant display of oldies and not so oldies. Thank You.

Hello again,Thanks Harry for the kind words…I try to put stuff on that will appeal to several generations,heres todays cuttings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img583.jpg

Ward Bros Scammell.

ward.PNG

Hiya again,nice shot of Wards Scammell Dean,thanks for that,heres a few more cuttings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img603.jpg

DEANB:
Ward Bros Scammell.

[

That’s a cracking pic of John Golding’s Contractor Bubbs ! :wink:

He certainly run a mixture of trucks and liked his American motors like this Kenworth he operated.