Hi again,more C and S Twinsplitter,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hiya,
Enjoying the new stuff Bubb’s and rather liking the Cawthorn and Sinclair
pics They were a little along from me and do remember some of the old
motors never worked there myself but know quite a number of drivers
who did, One of them doing international work with a day cab ERF
thanks Mate.
thanks harry, long retired.

My sister worked in the C&S office at Birtley for a number of years in the seventies.

Tyneside

Hiya again,nice to hear you’re enjoying these photos Harry…heres some more oldies from years gone by,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Nice to see some Slaters pics Bubbs, I did my driver training at their depot when they were part of the Thomas Tilling group. They did a lot of newsprint from Whitby docks and had to tackle Blue Bank loaded, they also dragged steel up Sutton Bank as well! By that time, 1976, they were running Volvos. They had a S36 cabbed artic similar to the one in the pic but the cab was converted to a three seater with a twin passenger seat, two local farm lads were booked for training on it but they never turned up! I had a similar, but tilt cabbed, short wheelbased eight legger tipper to learn on. We had no artics so didn’t bother with class 1. No power steering, an hydraulic accelerator that lost pressure so you had to pump it up occasionally to maintain speed but I passed! Still have the certificate in a drawer.

Pete.

Nice pic of Riding’s Atki i hope Paul has seen that one !

One of Cawthorn’s Maggies in an advert.

Hiya again,Nice advert Dean…I don’t think Paul(Moomooland)has clocked the old Atki of Ridings as he would’ve plonked its history on here by now…he will I’m sure when he see’s it :smiley: ,Ok todays oldies include a Maudsley for old Harry Gill and another Slaters for Windrush…also look out for the “handbrake” on Birds ERF,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:
Hello again,heres a few more old photos,Cheers Bubbs :wink:

The Northern Ireland Trailers Atki, MRN 380K, is seen on the Atkinson stand at the Royal Lancashire Show. Sister vehicle MRN 382K survives in preservation, albeit not in NIT livery:

MRN 382K - 1972 Atkinson Borderer - ■■■■■■■ Engine by Mark Griffiths, on Flickr

And here’s another shot of MRN 380K in the yard:
MRN 380K Atkinson Borderer T3246C by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

The HTS ‘View-Line’ was new to Griffiths of Churchdown: I’m not certain, but I believe that Hilton may have acquired the Griffiths business, rather than just the lorry.

The Bowker Guy Invincible, no.43, HCB 931 was written off in an accident when only 9 months old. It was one of a number of Guys bought new from TGB Motors of Clitheroe (the parent company of The Primrose Third Axle Company of Blackburn), and was fitted with a cab built by W & H Fowler of Leyland, and who were a subsidiary of the well-known local bus operator, Fishwick’s of Leyland.

It was replaced by another Invincible, this time with a Bowyer Brothers cab, 673 JTE:
673 JTE Guy Invincible by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

New 43 was driven by Johnny Hemelryk, and was replaced in 1967 by the well-known Atkinson, no.47, and which Johnny drove until he retired in 1980.

Meanwhile, no.43 was sold to a local owner driver, Dennis Marsden, and finally ended up as a shunter at Hartlepool Docks. One morning, it was found to be AWOL on the quayside, and was later found IN the dock, presumably the work of a disgruntled shunter!

So many great pics of trucks old and new. Ta to all who post. Also, all my life I’ve attributed “faces” to vehicles and wondered if anyone else does the same (or am I the only strange one?!). What I mean is that the front of some trucks look “sad” some look “happy”, others mean. Any takers?

Hello again,Great info Chris…more old pics again today :open_mouth: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:
Hello again,Great info Chris…more old pics again today :open_mouth: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Looks like the Chapmans Guy is parked outside what became A One Bradford on Fitzwilliam St , Les Pullan would be able to confirm

ramone:

bubbleman:

Looks like the Chapmans Guy is parked outside what became A One Bradford on Fitzwilliam St , Les Pullan would be able to confirm

Hi Ramone how’s things mate, sure your right that’s the old yard in the distance. Les.

lespullan:

ramone:

bubbleman:

Hi Ramone how’s things mate, sure your right that’s the old yard in the distance. Les.

Not bad Les hows you … I thought it was

Hiya,
You search for weeks for pics of 8 wheeled Maudslay’s then Bubbs works
his magic and "just like that two appear nearly next door to each other,
I don’t think they were the Mikado model though they look a shade too
“modern” plus the model I drove didn’t have a very long lifespan I heard
that AEC got hold of them and they then went by Mammoth Major I dare
bet that someone on here will know for certain.
thanks harry, long retired

A nice pic of Graces Maudslay, they ran some elderly but smartly turned out ‘chinese six’ ERF’s and Fodens and also had a Foden agency. I used to see them around London’s docklands regularly in the 60’s, I don’t think they ventured very far afield and the crews probably spent more time handballing sacks on and off than actually driving! I suppose that when the docks finished so did they?

Pete.

Hiya again,Pleased the old Maudsleys brought back some memories,another few oldies again today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I reckon that Dee Valley Foden looked the ■■■■■■■■ Bubbs ! :laughing: Heres another pic. :wink:

The Cyprien-Fox MK5 Mandator looks well,I think Clarksons of Leeds and Howe- European of Enfield were part of the group? There were others but can’t remember who. :unamused:

Silverdale wrote: So many great pics of trucks old and new. Ta to all who post. Also, all my life I’ve attributed “faces” to vehicles and wondered if anyone else does the same (or am I the only strange one?!). What I mean is that the front of some trucks look “sad” some look “happy”, others mean. Any takers?

I know what you mean I’ve done the same since being a youngster, I also got to know the engine and running noise from many lorries and tried to guess what was coming before I could see it, got quite good at it ha! On a serious lorry addict note, taking notice of the looks of a vehicle can help a lot to identify it. Franky.

bubbleman:
Hiya again,Pleased the old Maudsleys brought back some memories,another few oldies again today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I wonder which engine that Anderson Big J had in it ? and no it wouldn’t be the 8LXB on that 67/68 reg! Cheers Bewick. PS Great to see you back posting Marcus :smiley: