Scrap your old car for public transport credits

I see they’ve rolled out this scheme in the midlands to scrap your old polluting car that’s over ten years old for £3000 worth of public transport credits :open_mouth: bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-56373096

I have issues with this.

Firstly, that car he scrapped is a Peugot 108.
If that is a 1.0 litre engine then road tax is free on it because it produces under 100g/km.
Secondly cars being made rade now make far more than that. e.g. a Jeep Grand Cherokee produces like 380g/km.
Thirdly, if the car is perfectly good it should be used. We need to stop making so many cars not scrap them even faster.

Finally, this is our tax money being wasted.
Also we still got another year of social distancing at least lol. So you really wanna fill up publish transport?

Agree with you 100% Adam I have an 11,old puegeot 207 sw 1.6 turbo diesel tax at 30 quid a year my stepson and his wife both have 1.2 petrol 2017 3008s paying 125 road tax what is the cleaner motor ■■? :open_mouth: Cheers Ray

Yeah right I can just see all the classic Ferrari etc owners rushing to scrap their 250k-1m + cars or even a 5k + Range Rover for 3 grand’s worth of bus/train journeys.shock: :unamused:
So long as it is only optional no problem.

I might even buy a couple of diesel Peugeot/Citroen/Renault heaps for less than a grand each and scrap them for a lifetime supply of bus and train tickets, myself.Just so long as I can celebrate watching them go into the crusher. :smiley:

So I wonder how many people will scrap a perfectly serviceable vehicle and lose their personal mobility and take the big step backwards onto public transport, none I would think so it will only be a matter of time until schemes like this are enforced on the working class allowing the well off more freedom of the roads in their expensive EV’s.

A year into this pandemic the buses in my city are still running around nearly empty and running at a loss which is another agenda with this…

Carryfast:
Yeah right I can just see all the classic Ferrari etc owners rushing to scrap their 250k-1m + cars or even a 5k + Range Rover for 3 grand’s worth of bus/train journeys.shock: :unamused:

I might even buy a couple of diesel Peugeot/Citroen/Renault heaps for less than a grand each and scrap them for a lifetime supply of bus and train tickets, myself.Just so long as I can celebrate watching them go into the crusher. :smiley:

do you want to buy my diesel Xsara,for just under a grand? no one else seems interested :open_mouth: :laughing:

carryfast-yeti:

Carryfast:

do you want to buy my diesel Xsara,for just under a grand? no one else seems interested :open_mouth: :laughing:

My bet is that the supposed ‘3 grand’s worth of bus/train tickets offer will turn into 500 quid’s worth when I go to collect my winnings’. :laughing:
If you can show proof that they’d actually give you the 3 grand’s worth of bus/train pass for it we’ve got a deal.I’ll give you 750 quid for it but you’ll have to wait until my next UC payment for me to get the cash. :wink:

I don’t know what to do with my old car! It’s going to be worth just scrap value before much longer. Being retired now I already have the concessionary travel pass and get free train/bus/tram travel although we now have to pay £10/year for the Greater Manchester one. :imp: