SCR/AdBlue crystalisation in euro VI trucks

Mods: please delete if this is in any way unacceptable.

I’ve been asked to do a bit of research for a company working in the field of emissions control.

A few winters back, when we had cold weather, some Euro IV and V trucks with SCR systems were experiencing problems with AdBlue crystalising around the injector/mixer.

Did anyone have this problem with a Euro VI truck in the recent cold weather?

All our trucks are Euro 6 and as I said on another thread we had a number of them go down with “ad blue problems” last week. I’m not sure what the actual cause was, but I can find out if it helps?

If you wouldn’t mind, it would be interesting to find out.

You can always PM me if you prefer.

Thanks

I know nothing more but when our new Mercs arrived (15 reg), we were advised not to ‘top up’ the adblue tank every other day, just do it weekly or when the tank got down to quarter full…maybe to ‘prevent’ excess storage as such?

A pal of mine bought a 07 reg DAF XF but only used it on odd days, sometimes once a fortnight & had all kinds of ad-blue problems,
He was told that he didn’t use it enough & was getting condensation in the ad blue tank, which in turn was confusing the sensors■■?

Told him he should of kept his old technology CF 85 - never had any problems with that

GasGas:
If you wouldn’t mind, it would be interesting to find out.

You can always PM me if you prefer.

Thanks

Just text one of our fitters and he reckoned that it was a blocked diffuser in the ad blue pumps causing last weeks problems. He said it does happen, but to have so many in the same week is unusual. Hth.

Actrosman:
I know nothing more but when our new Mercs arrived (15 reg), we were advised not to ‘top up’ the adblue tank every other day, just do it weekly or when the tank got down to quarter full…maybe to ‘prevent’ excess storage as such?

I remember reading some trucks need the computer to “see” the level in the AdBlue tank go down, as a check the system is working. If topped up daily, and the needle doesn’t come off full, it’ll throw a fault.
That may be the case here?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Quite possibly and/or to stop it crystallising? I’ll have a look through the manual one night…if it’s still in here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers everyone…more contributions still welcome

Toddy2:
A pal of mine bought a 07 reg DAF XF but only used it on odd days, sometimes once a fortnight & had all kinds of ad-blue problems,
He was told that he didn’t use it enough & was getting condensation in the ad blue tank, which in turn was confusing the sensors■■?

Told him he should of kept his old technology CF 85 - never had any problems with that

Sadly Someone who didnt have a clue was feeding your pal bull

Actrosman:

NFT had an issue with adblue when their volvos were being topped up at the end of each shift… it was confusing the ecu…
as soon as they adopted the let it go down below half policy, the problem was solved…

norb:

Toddy2:

most of the trucks I’ve been driving for the last 10 years have had ad blue systems and have stood for long periods sometimes for a month or more especially in the winter and we’ve not had ad blue problems, although there have been other problems associated with trucks standing about, I’m in a Euro 6 Merc this week, 5 years old and done just over 100,000 Kms, it was in for a safety inspection last week the last time it was used before that was 2 weeks ago, no problems so far or last year when I was doing similar work with it.

norb:

Toddy2:

You are probably right Norb, cos the 57 plate XF I move the horses with only goes out about dozen times a year & that has never had any AD-blue problems, just regular brake binding !

We had some 12, 13 ,24 plate DAF 7.5t where the adblu level would stick on full . We had others that drank the stuff .
Even running them in Northern Europe we never had a problem of crystallisation , probably due in some part to the constant high miles that they do .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I know next to nothing about add blue , however could it be better if a large quantity was pumped up and ran along side the block or near the engine for warming and keeping it mixed well and then back to the tank from the nozzle a bit like a ■■■■■■■ injection system where like 75% or what ever it is of what goes up returns to the tank thus keeping a high or ambient temperature ?

Punchy Dan:
I know next to nothing about add blue , however could it be better if a large quantity was pumped up and ran along side the block or near the engine for warming and keeping it mixed well and then back to the tank from the nozzle a bit like a ■■■■■■■ injection system where like 75% or what ever it is of what goes up returns to the tank thus keeping a high or ambient temperature ?

^^^^ I’ve noticed the problems seem to be were the tank on the truck isn’t near the exhaust, keeping it warm, we’ve had no problems with any of our Volvo’s, except the v4 with the tank that’s bolted to the back of cab.

Or is it inferior quality ad-blue??