Scottish speed limits to change?

Are Scotland ready to change speed limits for hgv

They only remained unchanged because wee Krankie was obsessed with doing the exact opposite to the English.

1 Like

69627589-11952887-image-a-5_1680982781775
:laughing:

Is Humza any better? He/She/They seem even more of an extremist!

Everything that Scotland does the same as England makes exactly and precisely zero news.
Everything that Scotland does differently is, more or less, newsworthy.
That is why the English press always highlights that Universities and prescriptions are free for the Scots.
Scots law requires more than one source of evidence, not just the one needed in England.

Haven’t been for few years now. But sure on parts of a9 up to Aviemore they. Were trying new limits for hgvs in certain sections.
You could do 50 Inatead of 40

1 Like

It was because of the average speed cameras they had to make a special dispensation to allow HGVs to do 50mph on the single carriageway sections. Before that, the speed limit was officially 40mph but I don’t think it was really enforced for HGVs. In other words a blind eye was being turned.

What are you referring to England?

They changed to speed limit for HGV’s from 40mph to 50mph on England for road safety and congestion.

By upping the speed to 50mph it meant lees cars overtaking dangerously on single carriageways therefore it was decided the increase of risk of 40mph to 50mph HGV’s was offset by the lesser risk of dangerous overtaking by faster vehicles. And also to cut congestion.

I assume your post was referring to the post above yours by edd?

I don’t think the 40mph speed limits were every really enforced that much in England tbh either.

Simcor I did a speed awareness course way back when for the heinous crime of 45mph on a s/c section of the A66 (in a NSL area). By the time I attended the course the law had changed to 50mph. My how I laughed at the irony of attending a course for an offence that was no longer an offence :rage:

Absolutely not. He’s a c unt.

Well yes, it seems if you post directly after a post it is to be taken that you are replying to that one, to the point where the system deletes any quote made.

Anyway, I was just clarifying the position regarding the A9. They needed to make it official, otherwise many HGV drivers would stick to 40mph causing utter chaos.

Ah that’s explains why I was confused as I expected your post to have the link to the post it referred too.

Oh well go figure id rather it left that link as it is easier to tell that you have replied to the post rather than assume it could be related to that post or just another post related to the thread it not that post. If you get my drift.

Not a surprise tbh. But like I say most drivers did way more than 40mph in England, and I never knew anyone who actually got prosecuted. I certainly never got done for doing so myself either.

I had a mate in the 90s who was a local traffic cop.
He told me at that time that it was an unwritten rule to allow 50mph on wide trunk roads.

I often used to meet him on the M6 and get the full flash of headlights and blue lights which kinda amused me, from his top of range Volvo estate patrol car, he akso often used to pull me (oooer Mrs ) , for a laugh to keep me on my toes,…that would probably be a disciplinary these days.:roll_eyes:
I was an owner driver in those days, he knew not to check my cards.:joy:

A good lad who was always fair and discretionary especially when stopping truckers…he had a Class 1 himself btw,.and did a bit the odd weekend.
RIP Mike.

All moot when the roads everywhere are infested by dawdlers driving cars at 35-40 mph in 50 mph and NSL sections.Many who you can bet will accelerate if anyone dares to overtake them.
In addition to constant arbitrary limit variations from NSL to 40 and 30 mph on previously NSL sections making 50 or 60 mph progress a licence losing lottery.
Which to be fair explains the motives of some of the dawdlers.

1 Like

Travelling M62 eastbound last night in my car between J21 and 22, 4 lane stretch,at 00.30 hrs.
Car at 50 mph in lane 2 rear fogs and full beams on.Culina artic undertook it,I overtook in lane 3 and returned to lane 1.Car moved to lane 3 and continued in that lane with full beam lit.Where do these people come from.

1 Like