Scottish Newbee

Well the first time posting so this will be interesting.

I passed my class 2 first time in May this year. I’ve been refurbishing my house for the last few years while doing some bits of charity work as well.

I want to use my class 2 otherwise it’s pointless having it and just sitting on it. I have bee offered work from a Scottish agency and I would have taken it without question but I’m waiting on my digit card coming through. I was under the impression that the DQC was the digicard etc etc in one and wasn’t old anything different until I called the dvla and checked. I should have my card in 10 days which is great.

I haven’t touched a truck since May and I’m utterly bricking it. I’ve been driving a car for 10 years without a single accident, fine or point which has to be like gold dust in this industry!

I’ve sent my c.v. to driver hire in Perth after seeing they are looking for class 2 in the area. I’ve sent my c.v. to almost every local company that operates class 2 and nothing :frowning: It must be the fact I’ve not been working for the last 3 years but it’s a bit naff to not even get an interview. I have put a bio bit on my c.v. in a bid to explain the 3 year employment gap.

Should I plug on as best I can with agency or keep trying perm while doing agency stuff for a bit to get experience?

Cheers. TWS

Why advertise being Scottish? :laughing:
And you haven’t drunk since May? :cry:
You bloody sure you’re Scottish? :open_mouth:

I think you need to check your birth certificate mate while you’re waiting for your Digicard… :wink:

Sorry mate but lack of points don’t really mean crap, plenty of us about like that that don’t feel special (or needs) :wink: , the only thing that really counts is having more than 6. No points and some might say you’re not trying and not a real trucker. An employer wants you to be cracking on as you won’t be delivering ‘Miss Daisy’. :laughing:

Yes your lack of employment history might be an issue, so then be 100% up front about it as you can’t hide it. But make sure it’s credible and don’t give the impression you’re in recovery and helping down the smack clinic! :open_mouth: (OK, maybe you are Scottish! :laughing:)

Overall though mate, get yourself signed on to all the agencies you can stomach in one day, taking all the paperwork and utility bills/tax & benefit letters that prove your address. They will use and abuse you, but if you’re not getting responses from firms, you’ll have some limping experience, which solves the really the problem you’ve got. Once you’ve a few weeks or months under your belt things get a lot easier mate, and the only time I’ve had any issue is post Xmas for a few weeks…

Sorry about the stereotyping mate, but I’m a Soft Southerner what do you expect as I’ve only ever seen Trainspotting? :wink:

P.S. When you say you’re contacted your local firms, I assume as a Jock you’ve got a pair and followed up the CV with a phone call? :open_mouth:

Best thing to do is go out & visit companies they tend not to look at CV that have been e mailed or sent to them by post as they do get plenty

1 lad I know who had just been made redundant printed off a few CV went to some companies got a job that day ok not what he really wants but will keep him going for now as this happened last week

Keep those CV’s out there as some people might pick them up one day (happened to me) although it could be in weeks or months, or tomorrow. Sometimes it’s the companies who don’t use agencies who might be the ones to take on new drivers.

Agency is often a good way to get going as it gives you a lot more experience with different types of work. For example in my first job I was always on flatbeds for a few months, then in 3 weeks on agency I got to do curtainsiders, box vans, fridges etc with a whole range of truck makes. It helps if you get a little intro to each then you can figure out what you prefer.

Oh and you’ll have to forgive E8B - he likely watched Trainspotting with the subtitles on and still didn’t understand most of it. :wink: