Scottish Middle East Hauliers

Hi scania142

I used to work for frank white goin to central asia from 1996 and have some
photos from that time. Im to young to have M/E photos but im sure theres plenty old hands out there who do :smiley:

Are we forgetting Athol Addison and Gentleman George?

colin.f.whitetrans:
Hi scania142

I used to work for frank white goin to central asia from 1996 and have some
photos from that time. Im to young to have M/E photos but im sure theres plenty old hands out there who do :smiley:

Hi, Colin I remember you from the Sarafshan trips, Last time I seen you there was a young lad with an F16 running with you did he survive the trip.

I would like to see any photo’s you have I lost some of mine when I moved house so please post them.

regards,
Dave.

Hi Colin, here is a LDD published by the FTA in the seventies when one of their reporters hitched a lift with George Hope.

Hope you and your family are keeping well, regards jamie

A Scot lost in the Valley’s

Hi Dave :smiley:

The lad you talk about loaded with me in cheboksary and chilled out on
the way home!! It was his 1st time abroad and he done just grand .

Long time no see dave, hope all ok for you :slight_smile:

Hi Jamie thanks for that article, it sure must have been a great time to
be on the road. I have heard many great stories from guys like yourself
and always love to hear more.

Family is great and im still dodging away on the road

:smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley:

Thanks Jamie for submitting what I thought was a really interesting article. :smiley:
Hopefully it has answered Ian’s query on Bubblemans Scrapbook Memories page 12.
I must admit that I didnt recognise this German border post as being Salzberg, maybe my memories are starting to drift away now. :cry:

bestbooties
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:02 am Post subject: Re: Scrapbook memories
Looks familiar but I can’t put my finger on it,which border crossing is this?
Eastern bloc?

Here is another picture of the narrow bridge at Edirne, the first Turkish town after Kapicule taken three years later.
Didn’t you just hate it when you were three quarters of the way across and some Harbi started crossing in the other direction with a horse and cart.

That would be McNeils of Moss Road, Linthouse, Glasgow. They were owned by Arbuckle Smith, a Glasgow warehousing, shipper, forwarder.
Way back in the late 60’ they had a ramshackle fleet of Albion rigids doing local work for Kelloggs out of Smith’s warehouses. A move to Linthouse brought artics and trunk work to Manchester for Kelloggs. When the Middle East boom started, they got into that too. They could not have had a lot of backloads as it was common to see their vehicles run through Glasgow to the depot piggybacking trailer’s and units, the units were always minus their wheels, which were stacked between the units. Tractor units were hired from various local rental firms as well.
Alex

mushroomman,
You mean like this?
Same bridge,same bend but on the way home.

Yes Ian exactly like that. :slight_smile:
I dont know about you but I always felt better crossing this bridge in the direction that you were going. :smiley:
Merry Christmas mate.

We always thought that the homeward trip was the best part,but after a couple of days at home we couldn’t wait to get goin’ again could we?

Merry Christmas to you and yours mushroomman.I spent 2 Christmases away when I was on M/E,and there’s no substitute for Chrimbo at home!

Hi Scania142

You can find a few Frank White photos on this link below

s482.photobucket.com/albums/rr19 … ter=images

They are from 1996 til 2001 on trips to Russia, Uzbek, Kazak and Turkmestan
The white FH and the SIVER F16 were his also :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Colin, I met a Scottish owner driver on his way to Turkey in 1986/7, he told me his name was Frank White and how he had managed to get his trucks out of Iran after the Ayatollah came to power.
He also told me that he had been living in Zimbabwe where he ran six imported American trucks which were either Oshkosh or Western Star,
before he had returned to Scotland.
When I met him he had a brand new white Iveco ( which could of been on hire ) and a hired trailer. He told me that he was thinking of startng up running to the Middle East and offered me a job which I declined.
Do you know if this was Frank White or was it somebody trying to pull my leg. :confused:

Sounds good,but didn’t we meet up with more than one guy with stories like that?

That’s right Ian but there are not many people who will know the stories that Frank told me about Zimbabwe, if indeed the person who I was talking to was Frank White.
Hopefully, Colin will know a bit more about Franks past and be able to to confirm some of the details that I mentioned earlier.
Best regards Steve.

Hi Wheelnut, Nobody could forget Athol or Gentleman George. Poor old Athol, R.I.P. but what about George, have you seen him lately. The last time I saw him he was working for Mr.Fowler, on ACH. But that was about 20 years ago, I wonder what he`s doing now. A real Gentleman was George.

Hi guys

Frank frank did do a few trips around that time and was looking to start up
again proper.On one trip round he had his wife and two daughters with him
one of which is my missus. He then was out of transport until he put me thru
my test in feb 96 and we did two trips together to Uzbekistan and then he did
the odd trip aswell over the next 5 year period. One of the guys in the photos is John Shaw Mackie who also worked for Frank in Zimbabwe :smiley:

Thanks for that info Colin :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
If your wife lived in Bulawayo then I belive that it was Frank White who I once helped change a wheel on his trailer.
Is the old fellow still around ?, he might remember the incident.
Best regards Steve.

Hi Steve

He is still around but not in trucks anymore. They did stay in bulywayo
and a few other places in southern africa region. He got me into the
trucks and i had a great time working there because of the places
we went to. I look forward to the day the rate is good again and would
jump at the chance to head back to central asia!!

I know im dreaming on the rate tho!!! :laughing:

Thanks again Colin, I am glad to hear that he is still about. :smiley:
Next time you see him can you please ask him what kind of American trucks he had in Zim ( I thought they were Oshkosh or Western Star ) but I might be wrong on that one.
Also can you ask him how he managed to get his trucks back off the Ayatollah, I heard that he was the only person to manage this but I feel that there might of been somebody else. :confused:
I bet Frank has got some good stories to share, so come on Colin it’s up to you to make sure that those stories are never lost and share them with us all on TruckNet. :slight_smile:
Best regards Steve.