Scottish Independence ....Your Thoughts

Just been watching the latest news on this and polls are apparently now in favour of the Yes vote.

Just wondered what impact, if anything, you think an Independent Scotland would have on the haulage industry??

I’d rather we leave the EU or rid ourselves of the con-servative party than lose Scotland - which is basically the result of us doing neither of the first two options… :frowning:

There’s not much chance that Cameron will call an election to take place before the Scots vote in the referendum.
There’s not much chance that the Queen will dissolve this parliament, and kick the Tories out for high treason by next Friday either.

…One can dream though. :wink:

A yes vote renders Scotland in the same boat as Greece. They’ll NOT have any money, because they’ll not be allowed to print Sterling - the same as Greece is not allowed to print Euros (non stop) despite being a fully-paid-up member of the EU.
All Scottish government policy outlay therefore, has to be paid for with current revenue streams. Not enough money? - Taxes will get raised. Still not enough money? The economy collapses.

We’ve already bailed out the Bank of Scotland. It isn’t a far fetch of the imagination that England might end up bailing out the rest of Scotland a few years down the line, and taking them back into the Union at, by this point, great expense to us all in the UK.

Alternatively, if the Conservatives stand down before the referendum, there won’t be any point voting “yes” - because Scots would get any concessions they want on the election of a new (probably non-conservative-involving) government… Many “Yes” voters want away from the “Conservative Government of England” rather than out of the UK outright - but that isn’t the question on the ballot paper, so what is on the ballot paper will have to do… :bulb:

There’s a few days left for us all to be surprised… :slight_smile:

I think the initial impact would zero and it would take a number of years before any would be seen as any policy decisions would take some time to filter through.

I’ve got a road trip (motorbikes) to Embo near Dornoch the day after the referendum… This could be an interesting weekend :grimacing:

Firstly the whole issue has shown up the ongoing strange mindset of the English in general in not being able to get their heads around the idea of the British Isles returning to their seperate nation states.IE maintaining ‘the Union’ for its own sake seems to have an irrational importance in that mindset.

While the idea of supporting Scottish nationalism and membership of the EU federation is a contradiction.Just like the anti federalist EU but pro UK union ideas of UKIP are.

Having said that the example of Ireland shows that the idea of indepedence can still work regardless of all those issues.There’s no reason why the same can’t apply in the case of Scotland.With Scotland having the benefit and advantages of more industrial capacity and capabilities if they choose to re build and use them.Which in Scotland’s case would be the key as to wether they sink or swim if they,hopefully,decide to finally finish off the flawed idea of the UK union and it’s history built on suffering and force.Thereby having the win win effect giving England back to the English in the process.

Oh Oh here we go another 12/14 pages o tripe. Eddie.

erfguy:
Oh Oh here we go another 12/14 pages o tripe. Eddie.

So you’re voting no then■■?

My thoughts are it’s gona be tight as ■■■■, from a monumental yes lead it’s now at around 50/50. Too close so it is.

That’s gona mean half the population are gona be ■■■■■■ off at the result. No like 80/20 or 70/30 it’s going to be like 55/45. Lot of animosity could be created over night.

merc0447:
My thoughts are it’s gona be tight as [zb], from a monumental yes lead it’s now at around 50/50. Too close so it is.

That’s gona mean half the population are gona be ■■■■■■ off at the result. No like 80/20 or 70/30 it’s going to be like 55/45. Lot of animosity could be created over night.

There’s no reason why a close vote majority should be viewed any differently than a large majority.Although in this case making voting compulsory might help in that regard in increasing the credibility of the result.

Aye a no vote better the devil you know than the devil you don’t. Eddie.

It’s a YES for me

Maybe they’re going to move the Dartford toll booths to the M6 at Gretna to keep Millibean happy :grimacing:

Yes for me, get rid of Westminister & the bankers.

If Scotland gets the yes vote does that mean scottish lads and lasses will be prohibited from posting on trucknetUK?

McWilliam:
Yes for me, get rid of Westminister & the bankers.

Like the RBS bankers■■?

:neutral_face:

pete smith:
If Scotland gets the yes vote does that mean scottish lads and lasses will be prohibited from posting on trucknetUK?

Explain your logic caller

pete smith:

Nae we will still post just to annoy urs English chaps :stuck_out_tongue:

nearly there:
:expressionless:

pete smith:

I presume he is referring to trucknetUK

I presume he has not been on the ex pat section with drivers living in canada,usa and oz to name but a few

nearly there:
:expressionless:

pete smith:

Er, I think that was said tongue in cheek.

I’m actually excited about this vote :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have no problems with the Scots as a whole, but I’f the yes vote does win through, those who voted yes will unfortunately have to have their cake and eat it…

What currency will be used, it WONT be Sterling? With a fluctuating and vulnerable oil market (as we all know), is oil a good basis on which to base an emerging economy?

If Scotland joins the EU, they will have to take on the Euro, which if I’m right, Salmond has said he won’t do. The best thing that I can see Is for Scotland to NOT joint the EU, so it isn’t constrained by EU fishing rules and regs, and can fish where it likes, as I know it is a big part of the economy.

What about defence? Embassies and diplomatic facilities? Passports?

Once they leave the Union I don’t think they will be allowed back, let’s hope they make the right decision…