Rod Simmonds Transport (2359).jpg

Rod Simmonds Transport (2358).jpg

Back to UK and a few more.
Oily

Transport (1120).JPG

Balcas have some tidy outfits

happysack:
Balcas have some tidy outfits

Aye it is, this is the one tucked behind, again a tidy motor and what caught my attention was the trailer tyres/wheels width.
Oily

You seem to be a man of great knowledge ,what do you know about the eight wheeler who tried to go under the truck stop bridge at Penrith with a machine that was a great deal to high ?

What did it say on the sign on the bridge at the truck stop in Penrith before it was damaged?

Joepipe3:
You seem to be a man of great knowledge ,what do you know about the eight wheeler who tried to go under the truck stop bridge at Penrith with a machine that was a great deal to high ?

D’ye ken John Peel when he’s far away,
With his hounds and his horn in the
morning.
He blew his own trumpet a lot.

Good for joe the blog getting this timber thread up and and running again, which was admirably started by ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ who was hounded off a while ago… a few pics.
Oily

Timber P1000238 ot .JPG

Timber IMG_0340.JPG

Hats off to you timber wagons you had the second hardest job in the woods. Joepipe

does the handles Black arrow,or Moon mover ring A bell to anyone

Hi Oily, Aye I ken John Peel, the well known song and regimental march of the Border Regiment was composed by John Woodcock Graves in a Wigton pub many years ago. My mate is a not too distant relative of John Peel and Bewick was his “whipper in”, due being JP’s neighbour when living as a boy in Ireby. When that tune is played well as a ■■■■■■■■ it makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck just as Blaydon Races gets our Geordie collegues stirred up. His grave is in Caldbeck churchyard 8 miles from my home.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Aye Gerald, there’s only one John Peel ! he was some character, lived in Ruthwaite ( 1 mile frae’ Ireby) boozed in The Sun Inn at Ireby where his Relics are/were displayed and ended up being buried at Caldbeck! I wonder why he wasn’t buried at Uldale ?. These two B & W shots were sent to me by Milkman Tom. One of them shows Billy Bell the Landlord of the, then , Black Lion Inn on the Square serving “stirrup cups” to members of The ■■■■■■■■■■ Foxhounds Hunt on Boxing Day in the 50’s and the other shot is of another year. The house in the background is Mains Hall which was where my Grandad ran the Blacksmith shop. I believe he used to be on hand to re nail the odd horse shoe for the Hunt ! long gone days Gerald so I wonder if our Marra RWB was hinging aboot when those shots were taken eh! All the best Dennis. PS I believe in later years the name of the pub was changed to just “The Lion” IMHO it was PC gone mad !

Hi Dennis, Happy New Year. My mate Ray lived at Well Head Farm Well Rash, his mother was Jake Strong’s sister he tells me that there is a direct connection to John Peel. There should have been a Leyland Beaver parked behind the signpost in your photo ready for a sharp getaway early next morning. Yes I knew JP lived at Ruthett. !! There is a large white headstone in Caldbeck churchyard showing his last resting place.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Dennis, Happy New Year. My mate Ray lived at Well Head Farm Well Rash, his mother was Jake Strong’s sister he tells me that there is a direct connection to John Peel. There should have been a Leyland Beaver parked behind the signpost in your photo ready for a sharp getaway early next morning. Yes I knew JP lived at Ruthett. !! There is a large white headstone in Caldbeck churchyard showing his last resting place.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Now then Gerald I had to use the “correct” spelling/pronunciation of that small hamlet just south of “mecca” a.k.a. Ireby :wink: Otherwise our followers would become extremely confused when consulting the map eh! I’m not just sure but I believe that the family that kept the Sun were supposedly related to JP but that might just be “poetic licence” because his artefacts were on display in the pub, pity they couldn’t mount a DNA survey around that area ! who knows you may be a relative Gerald :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, I know JP had a reputatation ratching aboot up the fells and roond aboot but no I am supposed to have Border Reivers blood in me somewhere down the line, thats why I have always had a liking for Albions.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Dennis, I know JP had a reputatation ratching aboot up the fells and roond aboot but no I am supposed to have Border Reivers blood in me somewhere down the line, thats why I have always had a liking for Albions.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Aye Gerald, noo them Border Reiver lads were a reet nasty lot eh! operating baeth sides of’t border eh! so mebe a few of them strayed a la’l bit further into ■■■■■■■■■■ ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Aye Dennis, the next time you drive into Moffat just off the A74 at Beattock take a look at the tall medieval pele tower on the right hand side I am reliably told it was the home of the Toorie Boyes family who did a bit of cattle raiding and other dubious activities from time to time in the Borders before migrating south over the border.
Cheers, Leyland 600

A few more.
Oily

Timber IMG_0275 ot .JPG

Timber IMG_0133.JPG

Timber IMG_0132 ot .JPG

Timber IMG_0118 ot .JPG

Leyland600:
Aye Dennis, the next time you drive into Moffat just off the A74 at Beattock take a look at the tall medieval pele tower on the right hand side I am reliably told it was the home of the Toorie Boyes family who did a bit of cattle raiding and other dubious activities from time to time in the Borders before migrating south over the border.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Aye Gerald it would be interesting to research how ADB landed in Ireby, as Mary’s family were the Hewitsons who were long term natives of Ireby. Old Bob Hewitson was the postman for many years and I always recall that at Christmas " Mr Hewitson" always got a drink of Sherry or the “hard stuff” at many of the houses he delivered to ( on foot of course) and from what I can recall he was always “'issed” before he completed his round which covered not only the Village but many a mile between the outlining farms. I believe he used to get into some right states !! I think he would be RWB’s and A “H” B’s uncle or maybe Great uncle. The Family also ran the Post Office for many years so it was all in the family so to speak. A chap called Bobby “Crasher” White ran the Saddlers Business and he was some relation, and I recall he was good Pals with one of my Uncles. Long time ago ! PS but I can still recall my Great Uncle and Aunt who lived in the village ( before moving to Silloth) took a dim view of Old Bob delivering their mail “inebriated” as they were TT !! Cheers Dennis.

From across the channel, courtesy of Peter Schöler. Okay it’s a bit off thread title but some great round timber wagon photos from other countries.
Oily

Timber PS 30905855152_0af130105c_o.jpg

Timber PS 26036559676_8f16274798_o.jpg

Timber PS 22242076779_7ca89e5bde_o.jpg

Timber PS 21806145634_56775f2d7b_o.jpg