Scotland and the UK

In or out… discuss. All opinions and the reasons/thinking behind them welcome.

No need to have a go at anyone else but what do you think…Jocks, Jock in exile, English, Welsh or other races?

What’s our opinion and, if you can vote, how will you vote?

It’ll solve the West Lothian question thats for sure. I reckon it would be a great thing for all.

If Scotland goes independence, it won’t get in to the EU as Spain won’t let it in because of their Basque independence problem*, it will be full bore passport and Customs controls at Scotland’s EU border - there are only a dozen crossing so it won’t be that difficult to close the border to vehicles and the A1 already has the area set aside for a border post.

If a Scottish person wants to work in the rest of the EU they will have to apply for a work Visa like the rest of the world.

• if Scotland goes independent the Spanish Basque region will want Independence as well (as well as other parts of other eu contries)

Will be bad news for Scotland IMHO. People are being convinced to vote Yes by a dream of the SNP without really thinking of what such a move will mean.

What will it mean for England, Wales and NI? Not too much I think, if Scotland join the EU and we stay in (As much as I hate the EU, it will make cross border trade and movement easier). If they don’t or can’t, as stated above it will mean passport control, trade, Import/export agreements and extradition agreements.

Scotland already runs its own NHS, justice and fisheries protection systems, so there hopefully won’t be too much change in these areas.

We’ll lose some of our armed forces, some of the best too, but it might give impetus to recruiting properly into what’s left. We’ll lose a lot of Labour MP’s ( :smiley: ), sort the Midlothian question and our expenditure north of the border will eventually become zero.

I am from Edinburgh living in England,shouldn’t say anything really but already been asked by MI5 or was it 6 to go back to Scotland as a spy if they gain independence

will 100% be voting yes, great chance of not having tories say how we run our country, hopefully get a proper left leaning party in government, think its a great chance for our wee country to prosper, it might be tough for a few years but you have to think of the next generation.

Passport control at Gretna will be busy. :slight_smile:

It will be like the Mexican / USA border with every truck and car searched and the tailbacks will be to Glasgow.

I wonder if Scotland does leave I wonder how many people will emigrate to the EU before they finally go Independent.

It won’t happen, it won’t even be close. For all their bleating about how poorly they get treated by big bad England the vast majority know what side their haggis is cooked. It’s just a way for salmond to try & get his little bit of history, the legacy they all crave.

Considering the vast amounts of cash they get from the UK, their over paid pensions will be reduced, so will the cheap prescriptions, glasses, healthcare, they wont have enough money coming in to pay the bills going out, plus all the other subsidies they get, i think it will be catastrophic if they left the Union and i think they have enough sense to realise that better the devil you know, than one you dont. If by a miracle they did vote to leave, they will have no currency, not enough banks, most credit cards will cease, as the only decent bank is RBS which is owned by British Taxpayers anyway, so dont vote for Alex Salmond who is a waster, and only cares for his own legacy…you know it makes sense.

Slackbladder:
It won’t happen, it won’t even be close. For all their bleating about how poorly they get treated by big bad England the vast majority know what side their haggis is cooked. It’s just a way for salmond to try & get his little bit of history, the legacy they all crave.

agreed. This has always been a personal thing for salmond and as long as he gets it and can afford to live in a high poverty country (of his making) then he will not care what happens. He is in it for himself and his idealistic dream of an independent country. He will sacrifice the people of that country to achieve his delusional fantasy.
unfortunately since the vast majority of voters are not interested in politics, he might win by riding the strong patriotic feelings in Scotland. I think patriotism is where a large portion of SNP votes cone from rather than people supporting their manifesto. Ignorance could be the key to his success :open_mouth:

Being governed from London and Brussels doesnt suit the people who live in the farther away parts of the Country.If Mr.Cameron ET-AL would only think about the folks in Cornwall,Dorset Wales etc.there would not be a cry for a break away.