Scotch corner layby cafe

Just so drivers know the cafe is now open again.The prices are steep £1.75 for a coffee and £1.50 for a tea.There is not a price list up for food mayby take some extra cash.

Wow, at those prices they’ll never get my custom!
That’s pathetic for a layby cafe.

Is the 1.75 coffee just a cup of instant, or latte/cappucino.
I mean sometimes you can pay about 3 quid for a decent latte.
The tea is still a bit pricey though, must be a hell of a mark up on a box of tea bags eh?

Long gone are the places that catered for hard up truckers … :slight_smile:

raymundo:

Do any of the msa.s up and down the country still have designated driver’s cafes?
I remember them at Forton, Knutsford and Toddington to name 3, …but that was years ago.

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Wow, at those prices they’ll never get my custom!
That’s pathetic for a layby cafe.

Nor mine, can anyone give a good reason to buy a brew from there instead of making one for a fraction of the price in the cab?

A.

There just exploiting the fact the place is full of tourists for the summer who will pay those sort of prices, come October they will either have to drop there prices or close

robroy:
The tea is still a bit pricey though, must be a hell of a mark up on a box of tea bags eh?

Its just a normal coffee and its crap aswell wish i looked for the price before i asked.I wont be going back was expecting it to be a quid.

robroy:

A bit Yeah. Makro sell a catering pack of 1100 tetley bags for £13.99. So what about 78p a bag. To be honest my work buys 2500 bags for not much more and sell a pot for one for £1.99. You make your money on drinks in catering. Pepsi etc from a drinks fountain is crazy gp.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

You need to get another calculator as them tea bags work out at £1.27 per hundred …

If you carry on across the A66 call in at Stainmore cafe you can get a decent meal with a drink for £5
I am not sure how they make money as the food is decent , it has to be one of the best value places in the country.
Dont go to far into the truck park though as it is like a bomb site.

raymundo:
You need to get another calculator as them tea bags work out at £1.27 per hundred …

Like you say, bulk packs of teabags from cash & carry’s work out at 1-2p a bag, hence why I refuse to fork out much more than 50/60p for a cup of tea wherever I am. Don’t find gaffs that sell it for that very often though. Including milk & sugar the £1.50 this place is charging is probably about 15x mark up. Daylight robbery for pouring hot water over a bag. The £1.75 they are charging for pouring hot water over coffee granules is probably worse.

Don’t mind forking out for a quality cup of fresh coffee every now & again because the expensive high pressure machines they use make the difference.

nab:
If you carry on across the A66 call in at Stainmore cafe you can get a decent meal with a drink for £5
I am not sure how they make money as the food is decent , it has to be one of the best value places in the country.
Dont go to far into the truck park though as it is like a bomb site.

Nightmare to get outta there and turn West after 6am though!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

robroy:

raymundo:

Do any of the msa.s up and down the country still have designated driver’s cafes?
I remember them at Forton, Knutsford and Toddington to name 3, …but that was years ago.

I remember the hgv sections from the 60’s and 70’s. Mugs of tea instead of cups and good tucker.

raymundo:

Yeah I’m obviously out somewhere. Off work this week or I’d be checking what we actually pay for them and working it out again. Probably good that it’s not actually part of my job!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I just got a pasty / cup tea from Cornwall past company for £2 :slight_smile: , just looking and bloke says do you want a pasty for £2 ? , said yea and do you do cups of tea aswell , yea , so expecting £3/3.50 as srvs but just charged me £2 for the 2 , I guess he was about to close and just wanted rid

Nice to have a win now and then.