Scotch corner and the other one

im talking about the lay bys scotch corner on the A1 southbound and the A66 is it called sedgley or something im not sure anyway…

they both have signs up saying no overnight parking and fines if you do but they are always full of lorries on a night so do you get a fine or not :question:

lay bys alex should be BANNED most are dangerous places to be in the day light never mind in the dark , all laybys should be at least 1/4 mile away from any main road :exclamation:

i have stoped there a few times and have not been fined

i honestly dont think they fine for overnight parking,but the north yorkshire constabulary,a couple of years ago,decided to fine drivers for not having lights on in those laybys you mention.
seems to have blown over as a passing fad,must have been no criminals to nab that week. :wink: :wink:

the sudbury lay-by, i think! - a nice big lay-by with tree’s and a building between the road!

i could be getting mixed up :confused: but as daft as it sounds i’m sure i read somewhere that drivers here getting done for taking insufficient rest if caught staying over in a no over night parking lay-by

stevie

Yeah, that lay-by had this sign smeared out with silver paint used by traffic managment companies some time ago.

Why not goto Barton Lorry Park just up the road? We lose them if we don’t use them!

Rumour has it that the daughter of North Yorks Chief Constable ran into the back of a parked up truck at night killing herself in one of them Scotch Corner lay bys hence the signs.

Like has been said before though I don’t think it’s enforced. Might aswell keep the lorry crime in one area eh? :smiling_imp:

zebadee:
Why not goto Barton Lorry Park just up the road? We lose them if we don’t use them!

whats that place like is that any good. :question:

The parkings a bit bumpy and muddy in places & dont know how much they charge but the food was ok and freshly cooked and the toilets smelled fresh- ish last time I was there before Christmas ( sometimes stop for dinner or supper if I’m going away late)

Not the best but certainly not the worst I’ve seen! Better than a layby IMO tho’

Better than the other ones in your other thread Alex.

Ken.

IF you use barton park try to stay at the bottom part of it ! The top end is iike the somme and you can lose you spray suppressers reversing. :wink:

Things might have changed since I retired 9 years ago. BUT. When you pass the Scotch Corner Hotel, you will see a road going off to the left. Unless they have changed things,which would surprise me, there was a permanent Gipsy Site, about 600 yards down there, on the left…Also, if the weighbridge is still there, over on the right hand side, that always had a few caravans parked in there as well.I live local enough,( Penrith area), to read about the number of diesel, and curtain cutting, events that take place over the A66, especially at night.My advice would be, Barton Lorry Park. At least you stand half a chance of not getting bothered in there.Good Luck.

Last time i stopped at barton the police chapped me up to warn me about diesel getting knicked !

well i think i will try barton park for some dinner and report back. :wink: :sunglasses:

Parked in Sudbury several times, never any bother although the signs do say that overnight parking is not allowed. The signs were painted over for a short time whilst the road was being upgraded. Got to agree about Barton, more levels than you can shake a stick at, and the area around the pumps was bogging with spilt diesel and water. Food was good though, good selection and fresh