Scot Q

Can someone tell me what the two amber flashing beacons on the side of the motorway in scotland are about?

Just curious

Two amber flashing lights at the side of a M’way are warning light.

They indicate that a driver should slow down to max 30mph and excercise caution, be prepared to stop.

Normally found flashing in fog, heavy rain or when there is an accident or vehicle on the hard shoulder.

The important bit is that you should exercise caution and be prepared to stop.

Only problem is that quite often they are left on flashing for no apparent reason.

If its a post with one light above the other, its the predecessor to the small variable speed limit boards you see on the motorways in England.

They mean, “recommended speed limit is 50 mph”.

Yes those are the ones simon.

I cant remember them ever comming up on my driving tests so was wondering what they are

It’s funny, I was just about the ask the exact same question :open_mouth: .

They’re a complete waste of time. Clear as a whistle - traffic wise - this morning and bright and sunny too but yet the majority of them were merrily flashing away. :confused:

I believe there to warn of crossing haggis… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve noticed that they are situated where the emergency phones are so I presume they are for bad weather situations so you can find phone.

JB:
I believe there to warn of crossing haggis…

…and as everyone knows, you should never cross a haggis :laughing:

Spitfire:

JB:
I believe there to warn of crossing haggis…

…and as everyone knows, you should never cross a haggis :laughing:

you gotta catch it 1st :laughing:

These sound to me like the fog warning lights that first went up on motorways over 30 years ago, long before overhead matrices. Always thought they were useless because they only switched them on where the fog was - and by then you could see it. Or, they left them flashing for half a day in bright sunlight.
They were powered by big batteries at the base of the pole and needed switching on and off manually by passing coppers.

Salut, David.