sciatica

I have suffered with sciatica for years, after a nights sleep it usually gets better but for the last month it’s now getting worse. The poverty spec craptros seat is now crippling me after half an hour. I was thinking of trying a seat cushion designed specifically for sciatica relief. Any body use a cushion when driving or have any advice?

Can’t go on like this. Appointment at Drs next week.

I can’t help with the cushion, but have you considered seeing a chiropractor about your sciatica?

A doctor will probably refer you to a physiotherapist, but the way things are in the NHS you could be waiting some time to get an appointment with a physiotherapist.

Try high strength Devils Claw, it worked for me and several i’ve suggested it to, worth a try for a month for the sake of a tenner.
Chinese acupuncture and alternative treatments can also work on all sorts of ailments where traditional methods…join the waiting list of months unless you’ve got ££££ to go private in which case next week sir…don’t.

For those who haven’t suffered you can guarantee you’ll get the mother of all colds during this time which will have you coughing and sneezing accompanied on each event by a sharp stabbing pain running from your arse down to your calf, plus the inevitable walking doubled up due to the back pain…of course your so called work mates (fiends :smiling_imp: ) take the ■■■■ mercilessly during this time.

tachograph:
I can’t help with the cushion, but have you considered seeing a chiropractor about your sciatica?

A doctor will probably refer you to a physiotherapist, but the way things are in the NHS you could be waiting some time to get an appointment with a physiotherapist.

Seeing a chiropractor is a option I’m considering, a cushion might help in the short term, I hope.

tachograph:

Ill second that. I had a bad back several years ago, simply could not sit in truck seat without seizing up. X-ray showed displaced and twisted vertebrae, butDr couldnt offer much on the NHS.
I was recommended by a friend to a chiropractor, who did a great job. Massage and manipulation straightened it out eventually. The sessions were gentle enough but the next day, felt as if kicked in the back!
Difficult, but make sure you get a good `un, not one who could make it worse. I was fortunate that mine was actually a semi-retired Doctor.

There are some dodgy claims made about what chiropractors can do, but the physical manipulation of the body is within their remit.

IMHO worth it for the relief from pain, and the ability to get back to work and earn again.

try the health and family forum and search for sciatia , theres lots about it on there .

I have been using one of these from argos £20.00 Kinetik Wellbeing Wireless TENS Machine & £20.00 ebay Contour Memory Foam Pillows Orthopaedic Firm Head Neck Back Support Pillow to sit on seem to help my sciatica problem

Personally I would speak with a doctor before going to any chiropractor unless you already know what is causing the sciatica. Under normal circumstances a chiropractor may help but if you have a serious unknown issue it could do more damage than good.
I found out the hard way many years ago so I’d be wary if I were you.

jakethesnake:
Personally I would speak with a doctor before going to any chiropractor unless you already know what is causing the sciatica. Under normal circumstances a chiropractor may help but if you have a serious unknown issue it could do more damage than good.
I found out the hard way many years ago so I’d be wary if I were you.

Yes. Definitely go to the Dr first.

Dimlaith:
I have suffered with sciatica for years, after a nights sleep it usually gets better but for the last month it’s now getting worse. The poverty spec craptros seat is now crippling me after half an hour. I was thinking of trying a seat cushion designed specifically for sciatica relief. Any body use a cushion when driving or have any advice?

I’ve suffered for decades, had two lots of surgery, it’s the reason I’m a miserable sod. It’s not the seat, it’s the bouncing and rocking forward/backwards of the cab. I have no idea what they did in the 2016-2020 ones because I never had any issue in the pre-2016 ones. Stop driving Actroses is the only answer. I can’t drive them at all to the point there’s a written agreement between my agency and where I’m at that they don’t put me in one. I can go in any other truck there is but Mercs, I have absolutely no issues in any other make of lorry. I had my second spinal op on my third disc in 2019 when after 20 years of driving lorries with a third ■■■■■■ disc it finally went big time and I ended up having emergency surgery to save me from being paraplegic, peeing and ■■■■■■■■ in a plastic bag. After the op I was Ok but I ended up in a Craptross for 3 months in 2020 when Ryder decided to change the hire units from MANs to Mercs and it knackered the disc above that so now I’ve three discs which have been operated on and a fourth one now showing signs. Fortunately I caught it early enough that its likely to fix itself over time.

It’s not the seat, it’s the bouncing and rocking forward/backwards of the cab. I have no idea what they did in the 2016-2020 ones because I never had any issue in the pre-2016 ones.

Also if you’re overweight you really want to be sorting that out, I’m infinitely better since I lost 20kg. There are also excercises you can do to strengthen your trunk and abdomen muscles which will help.

Ultimately the only real solution is to stop driving lorries, I’m too stupid to though.

Don’t have the seat bouncing up and down.
I’ve rammed a chunk of wood under mine,and let all the air out.

Conor:
[.

It’s not the seat, it’s the bouncing and rocking forward/backwards of the cab. I have no idea what they did in the 2016-2020 ones because I never had any issue in the pre-2016 ones.

There are controls to switch off the rocking forward & back and up & down.

stu675:

Conor:
[.

Yeah…it’s called-----turning the ignition off and removing the key------HTH :laughing:

Conor:

Dimlaith:

I’ve suffered for decades, had two lots of surgery, it’s the reason I’m a miserable sod. It’s not the seat, it’s the bouncing and rocking forward/backwards of the cab. I have no idea what they did in the 2016-2020 ones because I never had any issue in the pre-2016 ones. Stop driving Actroses is the only answer. I can’t drive them at all to the point there’s a written agreement between my agency and where I’m at that they don’t put me in one. I can go in any other truck there is but Mercs, I have absolutely no issues in any other make of lorry. I had my second spinal op on my third disc in 2019 when after 20 years of driving lorries with a third [zb] disc it finally went big time and I ended up having emergency surgery to save me from being paraplegic, peeing and ■■■■■■■■ in a plastic bag. After the op I was Ok but I ended up in a Craptross for 3 months in 2020 when Ryder decided to change the hire units from MANs to Mercs and it knackered the disc above that so now I’ve three discs which have been operated on and a fourth one now showing signs. Fortunately I caught it early enough that its likely to fix itself over time.

As Juddian states accupuncture is worthy of consideration.Did the trick for me years ago.3 sessions,never once returned but the woman treating me was very exceptional and knew her stuff.She was a New Zealander doing some NHS work and now has her own practice in Kenya.From what l know the NHS still does accu as part of physio-pain triage but changes were made a decade ago so i think it’s a more meat n potatoes affair nowadays received compared to ancient oriental stuff which is definetely worth investigating.They still do a type of electronic accupuncture which l had 2 years ago for knotted ligaments and it had a good result but l exceeded my ration and it’s a 2 year waiting list.

Fasting is a subject worth investigating.The longer ones -48 hour plus- can regenerate dormant stem-cells when the system isn’t busy digesting snacks and stuff.Miracles of healing can occur between the ‘golden spot’ between 48 and 72 hours with all kinds of beneficial mechanisms kicking in.Ketones,growth hormones,autophagy etc.I’m having tangible results myself with regular 48’s (aiming gradually for 72’s to get those stems rocking) Dr Mindy Pelz on youtubes your gal.Brutal at first but medicine’s best and downplayed cure for many things,including diabetes reversal.

Also if you’re overweight you really want to be sorting that out, I’m infinitely better since I lost 20kg. There are also excercises you can do to strengthen your trunk and abdomen muscles which will help.

Ultimately the only real solution is to stop driving lorries, I’m too stupid to though.

tachograph:

The doctor will cop out & send you to A&E, that`s why the NHS is in a mess :open_mouth:

and don`t let them try it on with “long waiting lists” if you need an operation, my S-I-L had the usual “12 months minimum” for a new knee, so when she shrugged her shoulders and said “OK”…she had the operation within three weeks, and she is only 48yo :unamused:

Her recuperation is in full swing ATM and the NHS aftercare is brilliant, same with other members of the clan using other clinics that are operating in a calm & organised manner without fuss :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:

tachograph:

The doctor will cop out & send you to A&E, that`s why the NHS is in a mess :open_mouth:

and don`t let them try it on with “long waiting lists” if you need an operation, my S-I-L had the usual “12 months minimum” for a new knee, so when she shrugged her shoulders and said “OK”…she had the operation within three weeks, and she is only 48yo :unamused:

Her recuperation is in full swing ATM and the NHS aftercare is brilliant, same with other members of the clan using other clinics that are operating in a calm & organised manner without fuss :wink:

Yeah a GP would probably refer you for physio however my sister back in the UK visited or should I say spoke on the phone to her Doc about her stiff neck and was told the waiting list was six to eight months at least. Not good.

jakethesnake:

Stanley Mitchell:

tachograph:

Yeah a GP would probably refer you for physio however my sister back in the UK visited or should I say spoke on the phone to her Doc about her stiff neck and was told the waiting list was six to eight months at least. Not good.

Like I said, its the GPs where the problem lies, its quicker to use the "Swift Queue" online booking system and get an appointment at the relevant clinic or "Walk-In" centre, just by-pass the GPs as they are`nt really worth a toss anymore, and if you do get an appointment with a surgery, it will be a nurse you see, who are very good TBH…the quack will be at home watching daytime TV as their contract allows this :unamused:

stu675:

No there aren’t because it’s the cab suspension causing it. It’s not the seat, you can lock that in solid and you’re still going to get chucked about.

Conor:

stu675:

No there aren’t because it’s the cab suspension causing it. It’s not the seat, you can lock that in solid and you’re still going to get chucked about.

So why did I have a problem before springy suspension? :laughing:

jakethesnake:

Conor:

stu675:

So why did I have a problem before springy suspension? :laughing:

Because the tractor unti wheelbase was about the same as a Morris 1100, you had solid cart springs on the back and most likely no dampers at all on the drive axle, coupled with if you drove a Mickey Mouse Foden the steering column was a steel casting bolted to the chassis so not only did the cab shake your body to pieces the steering wheel destroyed your arms and wrists.

Funnily enough though, people complain rightly about the 2016ish Mercs, how come Merc tractors on steel springs back in the 80/90s gave a limo quality ride, and they talk about progress :unamused: