Schools in the West Midlands...Help Please!

Hi There, New to the site and WOW! So many questions already answered from you highly knowledegable people…Thanks already!

Brielfy, I’m being made redundant in November so am now getting the chance/nudge I need to persue a life long ambition and also switch career. I have had my medical done (For a very reasonabal price I thought, £29.00 not £130 which my surgery wanted, Dr Crossland, Northfield, Birmingham 0121 680 3848) and am just waiting for my provisional to arrive back to sort theory then begin practical side of things.

I dont have money to trow around (i wish!) and want to make sure I get the best training possible. Does anyone on here have any experience with training schools in the Birmingham/ West mids area and suggest who might be the best to go with.

I had a callback from Focus HGV today after submiting an enquiry form last night. I can quite honestly say that they wont be getting my business! The sales guy was asking me for my c/c details only 5 mins into the conversation ( even though I had explained that I needed to get funds together still anyway!). Its sneaky that the first thing they ask is "how do you intend to fund your training. " If you say “I’ll fund it myself” that just gives them the green light to try and extract money from you!
Although “Everything” was included in the price, he failed to mention any cpc training which I would obviously need also. Of course this was on top of the “all inclusive price” already quoted to me!

The only thing that did sound interesting was the “Driver negligance insurance” they can offer, claiming this can all but eliminate the “2 years exp needed” when searching for jobs. Anyone know about this?

Anyway… Rant over. This just put the wind up me a bit and has made me more determined to make sure I go with a good school. If anyone can help me with my plight i would be extreamly grateful!

Thanks again for all the help so far people!! :smiley:

Typical broker bull.

Drivers neg insurance what a load of rubbish. A driving agency would have drivers neg if their customers require this. It is really only a marketing tool and very rarely pays out leaving the agency to foot the bill to keep the business. There is usually a 2 year experience clause with this insurance which mean that some agencies will not take on new drivers.

For good honest training try www.jcoates.co.uk who have offices in Coventry and Birmingham

Hi And welcome to trucknet

All the best Rick

Try CRH training.

I’ve heard good reports.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi,

Lots of good providers out there. Some better than others.

Please try googling my user name. Visit the 1st webiste you come to (natural listings) on the homepage type in your postcode and your nearest providers that are / employ DSA approved instructors will be listed. Choose, click and go direct. Don’t use a broker or middleman

Good luck

hgvlgvtraining

I dont know why Peter and Rick would not reccommend using my user name to find a provider. That is what the website is for gents!!

burnie1:
Typical broker bull.

Drivers neg insurance what a load of rubbish. A driving agency would have drivers neg if their customers require this. It is really only a marketing tool and very rarely pays out leaving the agency to foot the bill to keep the business. There is usually a 2 year experience clause with this insurance which mean that some agencies will not take on new drivers.

For good honest training try jcoates.co.uk who have offices in Coventry and Birmingham

What he says. ^^

And welcome to the forum. Lots of good information to be found on-board.

Jtheraver:
Does anyone on here have any experience with training schools in the Birmingham/ West mids area and suggest who might be the best to go with.

Hi Jtheraver,

You’re spot-on mate, there is a wealth of knowledge on TNUK. :smiley:

Here’s a link to a list of providers who have been recommended by our members:

LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only) - #5 by rog - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

I hope it helps. :smiley:

Thanks guys, Will follow the leads you’ve given me & let you all know how i progress!! :smiley: