School boy error

Been driving a chipliner wagon this week and I’ve made an error this morning and would like to know what fate to expect… So driving down the M6 in high winds and I seen my Roof (that has been strapped) flapping in my offside mirror. The straps are still attached to the roof anyhow I panicked pulled onto the hard shoulder but with keep my eye on the pole and the cars in the middle lanes, I pulled to far over and got myself stuck.
This is my 1st full week of driving class1

How do you get stuck on the hard shoulder?

ram_1979:
How do you get stuck on the hard shoulder?

Because half the roof was in the middle lane I wanted to try and attempt to get it off the middle lane at least so got my nearside tyre on the pebbles and sank!

Feel for you, you must be going through a lot.

So what’s the current situation, recovery?

This would be my worst nightmare.

Aaaahhh…

One of ours did the same yesterday, with a bulker though.

Didn’t even realise he’d ripped the sheet off, pulled over as he saw the sheet flapping around, on to a soggy grass verge.

Workshop lads found the cover 14 miles from where he was recovered…

Whatever you do…don’t try to recover it from middle lane. Oy going to end one way…

Stay safe

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

You did what you thought was correct at the time, thinking of other people’s safety, no kittens or bunnies were harmed, just remember next time don’t go onto the green stuff.

Well if you were working for me, I’d be hanging, drawing and shattering you. Nah, only joking. I’d call you an idiot and that would be that. It’s the type of industry where things go wrong, as the boss I have to accept that. No one got hurt, so it’s life.

You will probably get some ribbing for a while though. :wink:

It’s a £2000 minimum charge to recover an artic “off road” but upright from the motorway I believe?

We sometimes move portacabins and every so often the plastic will tear and you need to secure it.

If you need to pull over over for a reason like this, best I have found is to try and make it to the services or pull off at a junction and go back on the on slip and pull up here. Traffic is generally moving slower than off slip.

As for your fate, depends on who you work for.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Depends how much your boss likes you or if agency. You do have the advantage of this being partly a problem you likely couldn’t help so mitigating circumstances could have an advantage.

Just emphasise the fact that you needed to check on the traffic and get off the road asap, thus analysing the quality of the hard shoulder wasn’t top priority.

Btw if you are agency, dont agree to paying anything or sign anything to say it was your fault. Saves a lot of grief from slimey types.