Schneider Depot U.S

I know there’s good and bad points on either side of the pond regarding trucking, but these depot facilities don’t seem too shabby and probably aren’t the best by far.
Have any of you witnessed any depot’s in the UK that are at least half way towards these standards for their drivers ?
I haven’t… :frowning:

Most UK companies dont have thousands of drivers who physically live in their trucks for 51 weeks of the year and maybe visit their actual home once a month for an overnight stay and little more.
That being said, there could and should be a lot more done for drivers in the UK. Its very common to go to a large factory, steel works or groupage depot in many places in western Europe and they will have dedicated shower facilities for the drivers. I’ve seen this very very occasionally in the UK but in almost all of those cases the shower is in a severe state of disrepair and has usually become a storage area for the cleaners equipment.

I appreciate the longer time away from base the U.S. drivers spend.
That’s why I said “At least half way towards” regarding driver’s facilities.
Five days away from home, being the norm for a uk tramper, he or she should still have decent facilities on the road in my opinion.

Andy smg:
I appreciate the longer time away from base the U.S. drivers spend.
That’s why I said “At least half way towards” regarding driver’s facilities.
Five days away from home, being the norm for a uk tramper, he or she should still have decent facilities on the road in my opinion.

I entirely agree with you. Parking and facilities are severely lacking in the UK as a whole. The fact so many trucks are forced to park in dangerous lay-bys close to the road or industrial estates with no toilet facilties is a disgrace. Parking charges in the UK were bad enough when I left for Canada in 2009 but they seemed to have sky rocketed since then and now many, if not most companies refuse to pay and more and more drivers are playing gypsy campsite, peeing in to bottles, ■■■■■■■■ behind hedges and the like. Definetely an appaling situation all round.

Agreed, just watching videos like this ■■■■■■ you of a tad. :frowning: :frowning: Thanks for the input… :slight_smile:

interesting vid definitley better facilities for the drivers but i was quite shocked to see how bad their roads were especially the bit leading off from the interstate onto the main road where he turned right… :open_mouth: ,i thought UK roads were bad but that was pretty poor considering its in a country which is supposed to be the richest in the world… :wink:

At our yard, we have kitchen, sky tv, shower and washing machine and dryer. But the pay is pants:)

mark41:
interesting vid definitley better facilities for the drivers but i was quite shocked to see how bad their roads were especially the bit leading off from the interstate onto the main road where he turned right… :open_mouth: ,i thought UK roads were bad but that was pretty poor considering its in a country which is supposed to be the richest in the world… :wink:

The roads in the US and Canada can be absolutely dire. There are places on the interstate in the richer states of the north east that have such bad pot holes or ledges in the road where there is a bridge joint etc that when trucks hit them it is common place to bash in the wheel rim in and let the air out. Ive never experienced anything in western Europe that is as bad as north American roads, I imagine roads in eastern Europe during the 90s to have being somewhat similar. It does vary from state to state though and crossing a state line is often the difference between lovely smooth roads and trying to drive across the Somme battle field.