Scenario.......

Fault on trailer (vehicle is away from base) no marker lights on off side of trailer but all other lights working normally. Fitter attends and can’t repair fault (burnt out circuit board) so driver wants to return to base for repairs but told to park up and a company fitter will bring the part out next day and fit it. Correct part not available so courier will deliver it to stranded vehicle to be fitted! The fitter will be travelling 175 miles to do the job!

Truck and driver laid up for over 30 hours - unbelievable Jeff!! Would have taken 3hrs back to base for another trailer and the duff one repaired at leisure and cheaper!

So, long story short, would the driver be breaking the law to drive back to base for repairs in daylight given that he had brake lights and indicators working normally and the unit was not affected?

Technically yes, depends on whether any potential copper/dvsa etc he met on the way back had his lag over the night before :smiley:

Would be a hard nosed ■■■■■■■ to do him for that though I’d have thought, but stranger things have happened…

When you say burnt out circuit board. Where on the trailer.

Surely he could have patched a supply from the other side if nothing else?

Don’t know. He was having a rant on the phone 'cause he’d been laid up when he thinks it could be driven in daylight. I see his point - the company say no!

scaniason:

Maybe but he says the fitter said no for some reason or other.

Ah well, I suppose he’d have to go with what the fitter said in that case, but if it was down to me id get them working somehow, even if it meant having them permanently on until they could get fixed properly. Let us know if you find out what had actually happened, I’m intrigued!

Will do - when he calms down I’ll pick his brains!

scaniason:

^^ This…

Might upset the computer and it’ll keep bleeting that you’ve got a bulb out or something, but surely better than 30hrs sat around

I must be a dinosaur. I would have driven it in daylight hours.

midlifetrucker:

That’s what most I talk to say but ‘common sense’ as it was once called is now outlawed!

Perhaps it really is time for auto everything!

waynedl:

scaniason:

^^ This…

Might upset the computer and it’ll keep bleeting that you’ve got a bulb out or something, but surely better than 30hrs sat around

That is what he was told. So 30 hrs it was! He’s wondering now what his pay will be!

midlifetrucker:

I would have thought nothing of it either if its just marker lights.

midlifetrucker:

Same here. What was the reason given for not driving it during daylight?
Interested to hear the outcome of this.

midlifetrucker:

+1

As long as the defect occurred during your journey and you have made reasonable steps to have the defect repaired (such as taking it back to depot - repair centre) and this journey is done during daylight then you will be fine.

Obviously a record of your pre journey inspection and confirmation of reporting the defect to your office will suffice if stopped I would like to think!

See it for yourself below - I’ve highlighted the relevant piece in red, taken from the Road Vehicles Lighting Regs:

Maintenance of lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices

23.—(1) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless every lamp, reflector, rear marking and device to which this paragraph applies is in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean.

(2) Save as provided in paragraph (3), paragraph (1) applies to–

(a)every–
(i)front position lamp,
(ii)rear position lamp,
(iii)headlamp,
(iv)rear registration plate lamp,
(v)side marker lamp,
(vi)end-outline marker lamp,
(vii)rear fog lamp,
(viii)retro reflector, and
(ix)rear marking of a type specified in Part I of Section B of Schedule 19,with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted; and
(b)every–
(i)stop lamp,
(ii)direction indicator,
(iii)running lamp,
(iv)dim-dip device,
(v)headlamp levelling device, and
(vi)hazard warning signal device,with which it is fitted.
(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply to–

(a)a rear fog lamp on a vehicle which is part of a combination of vehicles any part of which is not required by these Regulations to be fitted with a rear fog lamp;
(b)a rear fog lamp on a motor vehicle drawing a trailer;
(c)a defective lamp, reflector, dim-dip device or headlamp levelling device on a vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset, if any such lamp, reflector or device became defective during the journey which is in progress or if arrangements have been made to remedy the defect with all reasonable expedition; or
(d)a lamp, reflector, dim-dip device, headlamp levelling device or rear marking on a combat vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset.