Scanias twin fuel tanks

hi just started driving a scania r440 but it only seems to be using fuel from the offside fuel tank is there a switch on these or is there a problem with the system thanks in advance

Yes, its a screw underneath both tanks, close the screw and it only uses 1 tank

I’ve had the same problem with Volvo twin tanks, the problem with mine was due to blocked or partially blocked vent and feed pipes. Had both fuel towers taken out and cleaned. Has worked fine since.

cheers i will have a look in the morning :smiley:

Twin tanked Scanis seem to empty one tank faster than the other anyway.

yea this one hasn’t used a none in the near side tank all week not a single drop

jimbo89:
yea this one hasn’t used a none in the near side tank all week not a single drop

Yeah, it’s either turned off, kinked pipe or the pipe has an airlock

I liked being able to turn the link pipe tap off if reqd, the option to run on one tank makes it more versatile if you know your regular fuel points.

If it’s ex stobarts truck there was a problem with them being blocked which required tank coming off and flushed out properly.I had one with this problem.The tanks flow on a balance effect also which requires filling up tank on o/s first and n/s second.

Careful with the tap!! A rental we had (where driver was reporting the same and turned the tap on) turned out to be the tank for the PTO (so wasn’t connected in-line to the other) but did turn out to have a quite serious leak!

There is no taps on Scanias, You need to get the n/s tank blown through with an air line, the tanks have been allowed to run too low. call in at the dealer it only takes a couple of minutes. They rely on a flow system to keep them even.

Many many years ago I used to overnight at a place near Durham. The truck park had a slope which got worse at the edge - we parked across the slope.

One night a guy who had just filled up with diesel parked right at the top. During the night he lost nearly half his diesel because it drained from the higher tank to the lower and on out , possibly due to an ill fitting cap.

Try tying a knot in the breather tube on the tank that is using fuel.
Works on the twin tanks on my TGX when some plonker has filled the bigger off-side tank 1st then you get an airlock from the smaller near-side tank.

Big Truck:
Try tying a knot in the breather tube on the tank that is using fuel.
Works on the twin tanks on my TGX when some plonker has filled the bigger off-side tank 1st then you get an airlock from the smaller near-side tank.

Works just as fine on Scania. Done permanently on the one I drive. Easier to get use of every gallon you filled up since it will drain the tank completely empty before it starts on the main tank.

jeffrey ellener:
There is no taps on Scanias, You need to get the n/s tank blown through with an air line, the tanks have been allowed to run too low. call in at the dealer it only takes a couple of minutes. They rely on a flow system to keep them even.

I bet a 10’er I can find a thread on here that says otherwise! :wink:

All our scanias have taps[emoji3]

Thanks guys tap under the tank all running good now ta