Scania v Volvo

It’s a daf xf for me good all rounder

Volvo every time.

if i could put an r series dash and mirrors on an fh i would be happy. Yeah the gears might be tight but i cant stand a sloppy box. :laughing:

Scania or Volvo.Which is the best? Compare a Volvo FH460 and a Scania R500.Test tracks are the roads of Ireland which are often narrow and poorly surfaced… The Volvo cab is bigger.The bed is more accessible ,no seats to move etc.And the drivers window is automatic on the way down! The Engine is quieter in the Volvo.But I’m running out of positives for Volvo! The gearchange on the Volvo is difficult,the steering has no feel,the ride is awful on bad surfaces.The Scania gearchange is smooth.The steering has ‘good feel’ and the ride is good on bad roads.In short,the Scania is a ‘beautiful drive’.I’m sure you all agree!

settle it like this!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=blb3EXHD-Eg

:blush: :imp: :blush:

that van must of ■■■■ itself!!!

personally, neither, i like a good nights sleep rather than a bad back (scania)

volvo every time

I take it your in a manual then, would be a no contest in an I shift.

For me it’s Volvo every time, Scania are too hyped up for me, and have a very uncomfortable driving position.

volvo without a doubt. last thing i want is to start building my bedroom i might as well get a campbed out and build that in fast time.

Volvo for me.

So I have to choose between an over-rated Swedish rabbit hutch on wheels or an over-rated Swedish veal crate on wheels…?

Think I’ll abstain. :wink:

Think I’d go for the Volvo. :wink:

Having said that, I’ve had little to do with the new R-Series but lots to do with new Volvos.

So I might not be making a fair comparison. :confused:

euromat:
that van must of [zb] itself!!!

personally, neither, i like a good nights sleep rather than a bad back (scania)

obviously getting confused, the bad back syndrome relates to the driving position and seat in the p series scania and has absolutely nothing at all to do with the sleeping in a truck, both scania and volvo offer an excellent nights sleep, bunks in both are of a similar size except the volvo twin bunk edition is a little cramped unless the top bunk is lifted up slightly, the 4 series scania offers a much better nights sleep if a topliner and in the top bunk, the bed area above is quieter than the volvo due to it being above the window area and within the confines of the soundproofed roof area unless of course it chucks it down with rain in the night but the 4 series has the added bonus of a night heater control that can be moved between the top and bottom sleeping areas whereas the volvo has just one control and it’s for the bottom bunk only.
the new r series has an ikea bed on the bottom, you have to build it before you can sleep on it and unlike it’s predecessor has controls on the bottom bunk only although the night heater controls are on a coiled wire and can be moved to the top bunk the lights and sunroof controls are fixed to the back wall bottom bunk only although the beds are comfortable it is difficult to climb in and out of the top bunk in the r series as the ladder is hidden and the netting is on elastic and won’t lock down while you climb in the top bunk is a little claustophobic too but some people still prefer it to the bottom bunk.

For me please! :smiley:

johnny:
both scania and volvo offer an excellent nights sleep, bunks in both are of a similar size except the volvo twin bunk edition is a little cramped unless the top bunk is lifted up slightly, the 4 series scania offers a much better nights sleep if a topliner and in the top bunk, the bed area above is quieter than the volvo due to it being above the window area and within the confines of the soundproofed roof area unless of course it chucks it down with rain in the night but the 4 series has the added bonus of a night heater control that can be moved between the top and bottom sleeping areas whereas the volvo has just one control and it’s for the bottom bunk only.
the new r series has an ikea bed on the bottom, you have to build it before you can sleep on it and unlike it’s predecessor has controls on the bottom bunk only although the night heater controls are on a coiled wire and can be moved to the top bunk the lights and sunroof controls are fixed to the back wall bottom bunk only although the beds are comfortable it is difficult to climb in and out of the top bunk in the r series as the ladder is hidden and the netting is on elastic and won’t lock down while you climb in the top bunk is a little claustophobic too but some people still prefer it to the bottom bunk.

From what you’ve said here johnny, I am glad we don’t have any of those R Series!!

It certainly sounds like the 4 Series is easier to live with.

VOLVO for me, with scania your paying for a name not quality like the volvo and get an i shift .the gear change is stiff on a manual volvo as the linkages are routed around the engine try a lhd volvo and the gears are as smooth as a hot knife through butter

Volvo (with i-shift for me)

Nightrunner , I see your in Ireland so maybe you could answer this for me ,
I have always wondered why the Irish firms that run to Europe all seem to opt for big Scania’s with all the extra’s.Any particular reason for this■■?
[/quote]

Personaly it would be Volvo everytime for me esp if you can swing a FH16!!!

Scania.

The place I’m at have had Volvos for years. I used to prefer them but the new R Series Scanias (ones without hump/wrap round dash) are something else.

Those Volvo cabs are bloody noisy. You don’t realise just how much until you jump from a Volvo straight into a Scannie.

Scannies seem to want to pull more as well although Volvo win on economy.

Scania every time. There is no comparison. I work on both of these manufacturer’s vehicles and everything about the scania’s is far better. Reliabilty, build quality, accessibility to all components. . . . . the list goes on. From a mechanics point of view the Scania’s are better, as are the Daf’s, than any Volvo. I think a version 2 FM or FH would break an owner driver.

As for driving them i find the FH cab is very ‘wollowing’ and tends to feel like the door handles are going to scrape the floor if you go round a corner at more than 10mph. As for the gear change (on the version 2’s) that’s diabolical. They’ve gone backwards by puting a cable gear change in. To top it off the vehicles have got a mind of their own electronics wise, they’re a nightmare! Who’s had apparently impossible to fix problems with the lights■■? We had an F86 yard shunter that was more reliable than any version 2 vehicle.

The Scania’s (be it a 3, 4 or an R series) have so much more feel, you know what the lorry is doing because you can feel the feedback from everything. Scania are sensible, even with the r series. It’s far less complicated than an FH but with no comprimise to the driver.
Scania built a name for themselves for a reason and admitedly when they turned the 4 series out it wasn’t what drivers had come to expect from them. However, they did address the issues mechanically and driver wise and i would honestly say that the late 4 series (03,53,04 and 54 plate) Scania’s are some of the most comfortable and definitely most reliable vehicles on the road.

The company i work for has 40 units.

17 Scania’s 16 Daf’s and 7 Volvo’s. The amount of money spent on Volvo’s is more than that spent on both the Scania’s and Volvo’s over a year. They’re all of similar ages by the way.