Scania steel mirror guard protectors - where from?

Anyone know the best (cheapest?) place to get good quality and effective steel mirror guard protectors for a 2020 Scania R450 XT please?

Question for those of you that already have them - is there a gap between the steel protector and the back of the mirror housing to absorb any blows from tree branches so that the mirror itself doesn’t take any impact? Some of the lanes we do now are verging on being impassable with all the foliage growing and the plastic mirror housings are taking a beating even at walking pace :frowning: .

All our trucks have them fitted. Not sure where they get them or how much they are. There is a small gap between the steel guard and the mirror housing. I’ve hit a few sticky out branches with them before and the mirror has survived, so they definitely seem to do their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks damoq. Hopefully someone will be along soon with some good sources. A lot of trucks seem to have them out in the sticks, like tippers, heating oil trucks, animal feed trucks.

R420:
Thanks damoq. Hopefully someone will be along soon with some good sources. A lot of trucks seem to have them out in the sticks, like tippers, heating oil trucks, animal feed trucks.

Given your comments about never causing damage and being the most amazing driver who takes pride in his work - I’m amazed that you would need something to protect your mirrors as you clearly wouldn’t be bashing them.

All our trucks come from scania in bridgwater with them fitted already, but I don’t know if it’s Scania or Langdons who supply them to be fitted. Maybe worth emailing either of them to ask about where they get them.

Found a few places online after putting in the right search terms. Seem to range between £180-230 +VAT per pair :astonished: . Rather expensive for what is essentially a couple of bits of stainless steel with 4 brackets. :confused:

Probably sound expensive, but how much would it cost to replace a mirror assembly if you busted one on a branch? How many times would the guards stop the mirrors getting damaged in the lifetime of your truck? That’s when the steel guards start to look like good value at £200 or whatever.
Or you could always buy a merc with the mirror cam set up and save you the bother of buying guards [emoji23]

damoq:
Probably sound expensive, but how much would it cost to replace a mirror assembly if you busted one on a branch? How many times would the guards stop the mirrors getting damaged in the lifetime of your truck? That’s when the steel guards start to look like good value at £200 or whatever.
Or you could always buy a merc with the mirror cam set up and save you the bother of buying guards [emoji23]

Those Merc mirror cams wouldn’t last the day on the lanes we do. I expect it’s probably the same story on the roads you do too if you need mirror guards. I don’t see them surviving when they have 1-2" diameter tree branches hitting them.

R420:
Anyone know the best (cheapest?) place to get good quality and effective steel mirror guard protectors for a 2020 Scania R450 XT please?

Question for those of you that already have them - is there a gap between the steel protector and the back of the mirror housing to absorb any blows from tree branches so that the mirror itself doesn’t take any impact? Some of the lanes we do now are verging on being impassable with all the foliage growing and the plastic mirror housings are taking a beating even at walking pace :frowning: .

So what you’re saying is you can’t drive. Slags me off about not being able to reverse a trailer but you can’t even drive forwards without taking mirrors off.

Conor:

R420:

So what you’re saying is you can’t drive. Slags me off about not being able to reverse a trailer but you can’t even drive forwards without taking mirrors off.

PMSL. The only greenery you’ve seen down the middle of the road is the grass in the central reservation of the dual carriageway bits of the A66 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . When you’ve actually seen green lanes where the truck is wider than the foliage you might just be able to engage your tiny brain and figure out why mirror guards are a good idea, but I shalln’t hold my breath. In a previous post some time ago you went off on a big rant about “dangerous” artics drivers driving at 56mph on the A66 - that alone speaks volumes about your driving abilities, so do pipe down, chap. Stick to your agency chipboard trunking to Lockerbie and let the pro’s crack on with the real work :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

I only ever see mirror guards on trucks driven by ■■■■■. Normally belting towards you too fast on roads which need a bit of caution.

R420:
Found a few places online after putting in the right search terms. Seem to range between £180-230 +VAT per pair :astonished: . Rather expensive for what is essentially a couple of bits of stainless steel with 4 brackets. :confused:

Why not pull into a services ask a driver get some measurements. Get some steel plates make them yourself. Less than an hours work i would say.

I do wonder if they need curved edges and the likes to keep the Men from the Ministry happy (no sharp edges etc). Never quite know.

Biggest issue with any of the metal mirror guards is they are not aerodynamic, so they act like sails and put massive strain on the mirror arm clutches/detents, which then go all floppy.

toonsy:
I only ever see mirror guards on trucks driven by ■■■■■. Normally belting towards you too fast on roads which need a bit of caution.

Ah, another one who don’t go far from the motorways.

Try delivering feed to farms and see how long unprotected mirrors last; and if you drive like a ■■■■ on that job you won’t last half a day.

Sidevalve:

toonsy:

Ah, another one who don’t go far from the motorways.

Try delivering feed to farms and see how long unprotected mirrors last; and if you drive like a ■■■■ on that job you won’t last half a day.

Very true ! The foliage has grown a lot in the past couple of weeks. Some of our lanes are virtually impassable now without driving at a slow walking pace. You tell the farmers and ask them to sort it but it’s always someone else’s lane :unamused: . Might have to focus their attention by ringing them to tell them we can’t collect their milk today because we can’t get the truck down the lane :bulb: . Even on the narrower A and B roads you can’t risk moving back to your own side of the road when something comes the other way as you’ll take your mirror off on the branches. Have to come to a complete stop every time and let them squeeze past, then move back out and continue. :angry:

R420:

https://baileyltd.co.uk/product/scania-new-gen-r-and-s-mirror-guards/

A well established firm based in Wisbech.