Scania S series gripe report

My cousin has been given one and noted the following :
There are two selections to demist and heat the windscreen, one is a normal one, the other is a yellow marked switch, of which we will call a turbo heat boost or rapid heat.
Do not use the turbo heat, it will crack the screen in minutes.
Have other drivers and hauliers had the same problems with cracking glass ?

The lower bunk bed, that is a single bed can be elongated to make a double bed, with the seats forward to make more room to sleep, has anyone had the catch switch break, so unable to make the bed bigger ?

The passenger side storage locker door that is not there, for Gods sake why not, there is a side locker door for the drivers side, to put your ratchets and gubbins and what nots ?

To access the storage area behind the passenger seat, it means lifting up the bunk .

The catch to lift up the lower bunk will break.

With a 450 engine, all trucks pass by leaving him standing , empty and loaded, the GPS will work out what type of terrain or hills you are on and knock the truck in to neutral, to save fuel, to over ride that, he will step on the gas .

The engine braking is very good, and the interior cab design is impressive with sculpturing .

Sliding the bottom bed back to normal jams up the cover on it.

Don’t close fridge too fast or it will break the frame at the back and make it rattle.

Have to be very careful closing down bunk or the catches will not line up properly. Same with opening as the catch will jam locked.

Stereo not as loud as old shape one

Huge power difference between old 620 and the new 580.

Passenger seat swivel locking cable clip breaks too easily.

Other than that it is a very good truck.

LED dipped, main and spots are amazing

Thanks for replying, the lower bunk has issues then .

Most of these gripes are down to spec and the haulier not adding options onto the spec of the truck when ordering.

The screen heater I can’t really comment on as I can’t say I’ve ever had a misting up issue, my blowers are always on low and even in the mornings when cold, a few minutes on low when doing your checks sorts it for me.

The old gen R Series had the extending bed. Never had any issues with the catch. I have never come across someone who’s has broken.

Passenger side locker is an option to spec when you order the motor. The haulier hasn’t done this. It’s down to an oversight or a cost saving measure by not speccing it.

The catch to lift the bunk is a metal catch with a belt pull catch. It’s pretty solid. It’s been like that since the first R series in about 2005. Never had one break in ours, but I suppose it could.

The 450 engine is simply down to the haulier. They could have had a 500 or gone for a V8. 520, 580, 650 or 730. It’s just a case of ‘450 is enough and we’re not spending any more money on unnecessary power’. We run 580’s. Loads more power than we need, but that’s the gaffers choice. He’s proud of his fleet, and doesn’t want to run ‘generic fleet spec motors’. His prerogative.
The cruise control into neutral is called ‘eco-roll’ I think, which again is a fuel saving thing. It can be turned off by Scania programming with a laptop.

Every truck has its faults, but a lot of them on this particular one are down to it not being spec’d. It seems to be a pretty generic S450. With a bit of thought and research, most of them could have been ironed out if they were prepared to spend a little more money. Unfortunately it’s seems to be office bods and accountants that deal with purchasing and vehicle speccing and not a driver or someone who actually uses it.

All this aside though, the S series is pretty decent even as a basic truck imo.

Just out of interest is the water heater available on RHD models, works in conjunction with the night heater?

I have practically zero interest in modern vehicles, but I would have thought that the lack of an external door for the passenger side locker as standard shows a lack of understanding about the reality of requirements for RHD vehicles. Strange considering Sweden was once a nation which drove on the left.

cav551:
I have practically zero interest in modern vehicles, but I would have thought that the lack of an external door for the passenger side locker as standard shows a lack of understanding about the reality of requirements for RHD vehicles. Strange considering Sweden was once a nation which drove on the left.

Yes, but anyone designing trucks today likely won`t remember that. :slight_smile: It was over 50 years ago!

rarehistoricalphotos.com/dagen-h-sweden-1967/

It’s built for the TANG
It’s not meant to be stopped long enough to really use the bunk or storage boxes