Scania radio/infotainment stuck - FIXED

Hi, today I’ve been given a new Scania r series with the 5 inch touch screen radio (but without the built in satnav). Leaving the yard this morning everything was fine, but since stopping at my first drop I can’t get the bloody thing to turn back on again. I don’t know if I’ve somehow disabled it or if it’s faulty.

It’s stuck displaying the Scania griffin and no button I can press is getting rid of it, along with radio silence. If I press the power button it turns off and the griffin disappears, but hen I turn it on it just reappears as If on standby. I can’t actually get the radio on at all or change the screen I’m viewing. Any ideas?

My MAN has done this twice. If you’ve got a battery isolator switch it off for a minute or 2 then back on. Worked for me anyway.

nomiS36:
My MAN has done this twice. If you’ve got a battery isolator switch it off for a minute or 2 then back on. Worked for me anyway.

Won’t that…

Stop the tacho and other electrical thingys leading to questions like ‘you turned the electrics off therefore driver it’s obvious that this is part of a wider conspiracy and you are trying to over run the country with wild geese and should be put up against a wall and shot’?

yourhavingalarf:

nomiS36:

Won’t that…

Stop the tacho and other electrical thingys leading to questions like ‘you turned the electrics off therefore driver it’s obvious that this is part of a wider conspiracy and you are trying to over run the country with wild geese and should be put up against a wall and shot’?

NO. the tacho has a direct uninterrupted feed which is not affected by isolating everything else.

Phew!..

Wild geese crisis averted.

Have you gone along the top line of the radio unit itself, to make sure the ‘‘source’’ is radio/dab/whatever, if somehow you got it on auxilliary source it might be looking for some input ie cd that isn’t there.

It isn’t the most intuitive to use (especially when you are from an era when a Radiomobile manual tune radio was high tech :blush: ), i find the presets don’t always change when you select another station, and have to go back into radio or media (i forget which and am not near at work today) then select DAB/whatever then press the alternative station before it will change.
Having said that once on station on DAB its good, well until the lane departure ■■■■■■■■ fires up yet another spurious warning silencing the soddin radio till its gone through enough buzzes to satisfy yon system :unamused:

Also check you haven’t pressed mute on the steering wheel boss control.

Trukkertone:

yourhavingalarf:

nomiS36:

Won’t that…

NO. the tacho has a direct uninterrupted feed which is not affected by isolating everything else.

I can confirm in the case of MAN and probably all trucks, the tacho was unaffected.

No luck guys, I’ve tried anything I can think of in regards to the unit itself. It seems like the Scania griffin is overriding everything else and nothing I press will change the interface to anything useful. I can’t find a battery isolator switch so haven’t tried that.

It definitely works because just now I plugged my phone in via an AUX cable and got music to play no problem, I could also change the volume using the volume knob. It’s bugging me because assuming it’s not faulty due to it being brand new I’m definitely missing something (maybe a few brain cells :smiley: )

does it have a small hole that a pen nib would fit in ■■? If so that is a reset

Find the fuse and pull it then.

There is a software upgrade for them apparently. Open the fuse box and remove fuse 51 I think it is, shows it’s for the radio and refit it after 10 seconds or so and it’ll work again. If this fails try it again and it will work eventually. You can easily tell the ones on our fleet that do it because they have no stations stored. :laughing:

nomiS36:
Find the fuse and pull it then.

poleman:
There is a software upgrade for them apparently. Open the fuse box and remove fuse 51 I think it is, shows it’s for the radio and refit it after 10 seconds or so and it’ll work again. If this fails try it again and it will work eventually. You can easily tell the ones on our fleet that do it because they have no stations stored. :laughing:

Great advice lads and poleman you were very nearly spot on. It was fuse 151, took a few tries putting it in and out and it’s just fired up and started working again. I don’t want to speak too soon, hopefully it stays on now, for a while anyway. Does it reoccur and happen often with the few trucks in your fleet poleman?

Mine did it again yesterday, that’s 3 times from new a couple of months ago. I know yours is scania and mine MAN so totally unrelated. The battery isolator trick worked again.
I was going to complain about it next time it goes for S&I, I may do yet but it happening every few weeks isn’t really a problem. Every other day would be a total PITA.

Great advice lads and poleman you were very nearly spot on. It was fuse 151, took a few tries putting it in and out and it’s just fired up and started working again. I don’t want to speak too soon, hopefully it stays on now, for a while anyway. Does it reoccur and happen often with the few trucks in your fleet poleman?
[/quote]
Yes Redrum, we had lots of problems initially with ours and out of desperation I pulled out the fuse and told the other drivers who complained. I defected one and the workshop said they were being taken back to the Dealer for a “factory reset” :laughing: The release lever on the fuse box lid was missing on many of them so I suspect what that involved. They mostly seem OK now so I think something has been done. The volume buttons are failing now so you can’t hear them anyway! :unamused:

Today my Scania radio started rebooting itself every 5 minutes, disconnecting the phone and music each time and did it for the whole journey. Very annoying.
Anyone had this issue?

We’ve got 6 Next Gen G450’s at our place and the radios in them are all crap. I found a different way to reset them rather than pulling the fuse. Press and hold the power/volume button for about 30 seconds then let it go. It will still appear frozen for about another 10 seconds or so, but after that, it will start to reset itself and start working normally, till the next time it freezes. [emoji36]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:
We’ve got 6 Next Gen G450’s at our place and the radios in them are all crap. I found a different way to reset them rather than pulling the fuse. Press and hold the power/volume button for about 30 seconds then let it go. It will still appear frozen for about another 10 seconds or so, but after that, it will start to reset itself and start working normally, till the next time it freezes. [emoji36]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a 69 plate r450 the past week it’s been losing the preset radio channels and my bluetooth. Today at the end of a call it froze as if it was still on the call 8 hours later ish. Ripped the fuse box cover off and after finally finding the right fuse pulled it replaced now working but for how long

Ok guys you don’t have to pull the fuse out, press and hold the left hand knob in the radio for 30 seconds and then press and release the right knob on the radio, it will turn off and then come back on reset. You’re welcome

Rocka:
Ok guys you don’t have to pull the fuse out, press and hold the left hand knob in the radio for 30 seconds and then press and release the right knob on the radio, it will turn off and then come back on reset. You’re welcome

Correct, I’m currently in a 19 plate hire one. Must freeze on me a couple of times a week

If it’s the touchscreen premium infotainment model and someone has wiped the screen with a antibacterial wipe or any other cleaning fluid that’s not for touchscreens then it’ll carry on doing it all the time,I had one recently that kept freezing,changing radio station and after linking phone to it randomly scrolling though phone book,it knackers the coating on the screen I was told…